Sorting out acid store

As we haven't been doing class practicals for the last year I haven't made up any dilute acid solutions in over a year.
I keep my conc HCL bottles in zip lock bags - a tip I got from this forum - to contain any hydrogen chloride gas. However as they haven't been opened in a while there is quite a powder build up on the inside of the bags and outside of the bottles. I have been putting off sorting this out, to be honest, but really do need to tackle it. Was going to change the bags and clean the bottles - but just wondered whether the collective had any advice/tips before I damage myself doing this. Or am over worrying?
Also the sulfuric acid bottles have a layer of something on them too - would this just be HCL as they are near to each other?

I dread to think of the state of my old schools acid cupboard and the rest of the chemical store in fact. They have not had a science technician since I left last June. Don't envy the job of anyone who has to go in and sort when they eventually do replace me.

Anyway, my advice would be to remove the bottles to a fume cupboard. Make sure you are wearing your PPE. I would switch the cupboard on briefly when you open the bags to remove any built up acidic gasses! But don't leave the cupboard on after that (unless you are opening the bottles obvs) as the white powder will most likely be light and fine and will probably fly everywhere. Wipe every thing down with a damp cloth dipped in detergent water. Dry everything thoroughly before returning to your acids cupboard. Stick the acidy zip locks in the bowl of detergent. You could wash, dry and re-use them if you are short of bags and they are in good condition. Hope this helps

Last edited:
I dread to think of the state of my old schools acid cupboard and the rest of the chemical store in fact. They have not had a science technician since I left last June. Don't envy the job of anyone who has to go in and sort when they eventually do replace me.

Anyway, my advice would be to remove the bottles to a fume cupboard. Make sure you are wearing your PPE. I would switch the cupboard on briefly when you open the bags to remove any built up acidic gasses! But don't leave the cupboard on after that (unless you are opening the bottles obvs) as the white powder will most likely be light and fine and will probably fly everywhere. Wipe every thing down with a damp cloth dipped in detergent water. Dry everything thoroughly before returning to your acids cupboard. Stick the acidy zip locks in the bowl of detergent. You could wash, dry and re-use them if you are short of bags and they are in good condition. Hope this helps
Thanks Lesley. All done - didn't take long once I bit the bullet. Used new plastic bags as I have plenty at the moment.