Sorry I need to rant

Irene

Irene
So, the Yr11's have finished or will be finishing their exams by the end of the week. I had the former HOD (now SLT) come up to me and casually ask about next weeks cloning practicals with the Yr11's using geraniums :surprised:. 150 Yr11 students. You can imagine the horror of my poor geraniums (that don't look the best....due to lockdown) being cut to smithereens.
Apparently the New HOD should have spoken to me about it last week!!! I love the communication.
I said that if you want to clone the geraniums then you'll have to buy them yourselves.
Not only that, we seem to be the only school in the area that are having the Yr11's back for two weeks after half term to do "Fun practicals". They have decided upon "Forensics". No numbers have been given to how many will turn up so I don't know how many to prep for and the final practicals haven't been finalised (hopefully I'll know next week or the Monday after we come back from half term). I'm a lone technician TTO (I have asked for help and was told categorically NO!!), and have other practicals to prep for yr9-13 not and just to put the spanner in the works the Yr12's are doing "Individual Assignments" (20 of them).
I'm feeling a bit over whelmed by it all. Sorry, but I feel like a wet wipe.

So, the Yr11's have finished or will be finishing their exams by the end of the week. I had the former HOD (now SLT) come up to me and casually ask about next weeks cloning practicals with the Yr11's using geraniums :surprised:. 150 Yr11 students. You can imagine the horror of my poor geraniums (that don't look the best....due to lockdown) being cut to smithereens.
Apparently the New HOD should have spoken to me about it last week!!! I love the communication.
I said that if you want to clone the geraniums then you'll have to buy them yourselves.
Not only that, we seem to be the only school in the area that are having the Yr11's back for two weeks after half term to do "Fun practicals". They have decided upon "Forensics". No numbers have been given to how many will turn up so I don't know how many to prep for and the final practicals haven't been finalised (hopefully I'll know next week or the Monday after we come back from half term). I'm a lone technician TTO (I have asked for help and was told categorically NO!!), and have other practicals to prep for yr9-13 not and just to put the spanner in the works the Yr12's are doing "Individual Assignments" (20 of them).

Rant away Irene. I'll join you. :vampire:
It urines me off when teachers ask for "fun" practicals as a late request just because they can't be bothered to plan a lesson. Total lack of respect of someone else's time and job. How would they like it if I requested a cancellation to their practical because I'm knackered and been on my feet all day? They would use the "but it's your job!" card. Funny how that card is only available in one person's deck! All we techs have are joker cards.

Julie Delaney

COMMITTEE
what a load of pointless nonsense. the kids won't give flying fox about practicals, they will just want to get the flock out of the school. Some teachers ned a reality check.

That sounds ridiculous. They're not going to have any interest in doing anything like that.

Our year 11s leave tomorrow and it can't happen soon enough. All of their assessments are done now; we're just catching up those that missed any and half of them haven't turned up today anyway. I cannot imagine what it would be like if we kept them here longer. They've had enough now and keeping them here longer would just result in unnecessary disruption for everyone else with groups of them roaming the school and setting off the fire alarm.

Did they justify why you can't have help? I assume its standard cost-saving measures of "we can't afford another member of support staff"...

If you are feeling overwhelmed by how much you are being asked (and the lack of notice so no planning time) then see if you can talk to someone outside the department along with the HoD (or at least someone who knows what is being asked of you) to basically say "either you hire someone else or the majority of practicals will have to be cancelled because it isn't safe for me to work alone at this speed without advance planning." Unfortunately it is all too common for this to be ignored, but you might find that there is someone in the school who will actually back you up with enough standing to change something.

labsleuth

COMMITTEE
This really annoys me! It's like how just before Christmas when you're trying to get the labs tidied etc. and they all want to do "fun" stuff last minute, so order screaming jelly babies, elephant's toothpaste and 300 sets of rainbow bl**dy fizz! Funnily enough, I'd like to get home to enjoy my holiday too! :mad:

This really annoys me! It's like how just before Christmas when you're trying to get the labs tidied etc. and they all want to do "fun" stuff last minute, so order screaming jelly babies, elephant's toothpaste and 300 sets of rainbow bl**dy fizz! Funnily enough, I'd like to get home to enjoy my holiday too! :mad:
You're not allowed to have holidays (like me) - teachers and pupils think technicians live in a cupboard at work....

Funny how the 'fun' practicals never make use of anything we have abundance of but instead always involve the expensive/rare chemicals and equipment in the department, or one off random stuff that someone has to run to the shop to get.

I have god's amount of starch, vaseline, copper sulphate and sodium carbonate in the stores if anyone has any practical suggestions that involve those! :p

what a load of pointless nonsense. the kids won't give flying fox about practicals, they will just want to get the flock out of the school. Some teachers ned a reality check.
My words exactly when someone made mutterings about Yr 11 'fun' practicals next week.
'It gives something for them to do.'

Edit:
Someone just came in and said... I ordered this, this and this, for yr 11 or they'll be twiddling their thumbs next week
My reply... Yeah, it's an opportunity to give the technician even more work which is not necessary... '
My bad ;)

Last edited:
You're not allowed to have holidays (like me) - teachers and pupils think technicians live in a cupboard at work....
This reminded me of that one year (first year?) in my current school when I decorated a small Xmas tree and had it on my desk to cheer myself up.
Soon it became something that was requisitioned for Secret Santa...I was NOT happy about it <.<

In situations like this I always wish I had enough of an IDGAF attitude to just call in and say "Oh nooo, I got myself a nasty cold, guess you'll have to manage without me. Sorry, teehee!" Then have a cuppa and watch it all crash and burn :laughing:
That is exactly what should happen Nabi. We are our own worst enemies I'm afraid. The more you take on and are able to get done the more is expected of you. The powers that be won't take on any help until they see you actually can't do what is asked of you. In Irene's situation she should just ask them (whoever they may be) to prioritize the tasks given her and say she will get through them as best as she can.

Irene

Irene
Did they justify why you can't have help? I assume its standard cost-saving measures of "we can't afford another member of support staff"...

If you are feeling overwhelmed by how much you are being asked (and the lack of notice so no planning time) then see if you can talk to someone outside the department along with the HoD (or at least someone who knows what is being asked of you) to basically say "either you hire someone else or the majority of practicals will have to be cancelled because it isn't safe for me to work alone at this speed without advance planning." Unfortunately it is all too common for this to be ignored, but you might find that there is someone in the school who will actually back you up with enough standing to change something.
It's cost saving I have badgered every year for help. I did have a technician when I started and she wanted to go part time......."Them above" said, No!!, so she left and I have been on my own ever since.

It's cost saving I have badgered every year for help. I did have a technician when I started and she wanted to go part time......."Them above" said, No!!, so she left and I have been on my own ever since.
Are you sure there's enough money left in the science budget for geraniums. I once found I couldn't afford to buy squid for years 7-10 to dissect them. ;)

CovTech

Lvl 37 Alchemist
COMMITTEE
Funny how the 'fun' practicals never make use of anything we have abundance of but instead always involve the expensive/rare chemicals and equipment in the department, or one off random stuff that someone has to run to the shop to get.

I have god's amount of starch, vaseline, copper sulphate and sodium carbonate in the stores if anyone has any practical suggestions that involve those! :p
For what I'd have in mind you'd need to leave out the vaseline to make your point..........

Irene

Irene
Are you sure there's enough money left in the science budget for geraniums. I once found I couldn't afford to buy squid for years 7-10 to dissect them. ;)
We are now a "Cash less school". If things are to be bought then it comes out of my pocket (receipt's are given to finance and paid back into my account) or ordered on line. I have refused to do such a thing as teachers get paid a lot more than we do. I have even asked for a prepaid card...err no. I don't even know how much we have left in our budget. I won't know until after half term when I have to do the ordering for September. I honestly do love the job but there are days!!

We are now a "Cash less school". If things are to be bought then it comes out of my pocket (receipt's are given to finance and paid back into my account) or ordered on line. I have refused to do such a thing as teachers get paid a lot more than we do. I have even asked for a prepaid card...err no. I don't even know how much we have left in our budget. I won't know until after half term when I have to do the ordering for September. I honestly do love the job but there are days!!
This is what we are supposed to be doing too. So far I have been lucky that we haven't needed much at all and the HoD managed to get my reciepts paid, but now they've changed it so all expenses claims have to be pre-approved by the headteacher! Apparently when the HoD went to talk to her about it, her answer was that they need to be planning further ahead (like, 3 weeks) so the expenses can come through. They still haven't come up with a solution for how we manage that in science but I'm not willing to give up my own money to the school for this. Particularly with it being a much higher proportion of my salary than the person who is insisting on this.

That is ridiculous. We went cashless a couple of year's ago but I was given a departmental credit card to use, absolutely no question of me using my own money!

I used to be accomodating about buying out of my own pocket, but when I was refused remuneration because the submission date had passed (which I missed because I was being run ragged and either didn't have time to organise my receipts, or was so tired that I forgot to do it for a bit), I stopped being so generous, and if people ask, I say "Sure, you can have that. You can buy it yourself and get it reimbursed, I'll email you the form."

Suddenly they don't need it anymore.

Julie Delaney

COMMITTEE
I used to be accomodating about buying out of my own pocket, but when I was refused remuneration because the submission date had passed (which I missed because I was being run ragged and either didn't have time to organise my receipts, or was so tired that I forgot to do it for a bit), I stopped being so generous, and if people ask, I say "Sure, you can have that. You can buy it yourself and get it reimbursed, I'll email you the form."

Suddenly they don't need it anymore.
yeah, i can imagine, we have one guy who asks for all sorts of mad weird and random stuff, i tell him he will have to get it as i am not shoppijg in my time for his stuff Oddly enough, he never buys the stuff... funny that. :rolleyes: