Sodium thio solid stinks

Hey everyone! I have ordered new stock of solid sodium thiosulphate and it smells so bad I have to hold my breath and wear a mask, and the solutions now smell as well. I know in past, there has always been a faint smell, but not overly offensive, this is really hideous. Has anyone else experienced this? Seriously, it is like a fart in your face. I think I will contact supplier for info also.....

Has it got damp somehow? I've never known a solid to smell but our solutions like to pong if kept in an confined space!

I've often noticed that our pellets (even a new batch) have a smell to them, not particularly strong but not my favourite. I just put it down to that chemical having a weird smell.

I've often noticed that our pellets (even a new batch) have a smell to them, not particularly strong but not my favourite. I just put it down to that chemical having a weird smell.
Same here, not overly offensive, just a vague twang of sulphur compound. Not this, it is putrid.

Ugh god...there goes my breakfast! No idea, but it is being collected and will be investigated by the chemical supplier.

I've received 3kg from my usual supplier and thought I'd open it to check- it's powder rather than crystals and oh my god the stench :sick: will have to contact them as it doesn't seem right. Would I be ok to private message to see if its the same supplier?

Last edited:
my STS doesn't smell that's bizarre, maybe it's new batches/different suppliers thanks to that russian guy?

I've just received 3kg from my usual supplier and thought I'd open it to check- it's powder rather than crystals and oh my god the stench :sick: will have to contact them as it doesn't seem right. Would I be ok to private message to see if its the same supplier?
Yes of course. I cannot believe you are having same issue!

Back