sodium chloride Chromatography

hello everyone

I have just been on the top tips area and scichem post some tips one says you can use a 1% salt solution to get clearer results do you replace the solvent with 1% salt or add it to the solvent.

This is interesting doing small scale TLC! I've been trying to get lipstick chromatography to work for some time without success, if you don't have any dichloromethane, do you know what the best solvent would be to transfer the lipstick to the plate would be?
Not something I know myself. However, a Google for chromatography lipstick comes up with some papers with various eluent suggestions.

Toluene is suggested, I will give that a go
In some cases, sodium bicarbonate may be an even better addition – take a look at figure 5 in this article on improving practical chromatography in schools.
This is interesting doing small scale TLC! I've been trying to get lipstick chromatography to work for some time without success, if you don't have any dichloromethane, do you know what the best solvent would be to transfer the lipstick to the plate would be?
Try Propanone- all Lipsticks are soluble in it so you should get very good seperations.:)

Try Propanone- all Lipsticks are soluble in it so you should get very good seperations.:)
I have tried propanone, it was the first solvent I used! Not a great deal of success. I have tried a majority of the solvents we have, to dissolve the lipstick in order to spot it, toluene has been the most successful. I've never managed spots on TLC or paper, only streaks all the way up the chromatogram.