Should Technicians be Booted and Suited - Any further views?

I don't want to appear a spoil sport but Lab Coats, if used for Microbiology, should not be taken home to be washed.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
George, you're so predictable. I've been washing my lab coat at home for years and I'm still alive, so are my family. And don't forget, the microbes we're allowed to play with are non-pathogenic to humans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and dogs. and cats. and house plants. I'm more worried about running out of teabags

George, you're so predictable. I've been washing my lab coat at home for years and I'm still alive, so are my family. And don't forget, the microbes we're allowed to play with are non-pathogenic to humans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and dogs. and cats. and house plants. I'm more worried about running out of teabags
OMG, I knew there would be one pedant.
If I thought anything was that pathogenic I wouldn't be working here!
If it comes to that, my HoD has claimed for years & never even wears a labcoat!:mad: And has never even TOLD all the techs they could claim.

Which trade union are you in because I couldn't find mine on the list of approved organisations?
GMB is never on the list for anything. A lady I know who works at a Uni said when they had threat of redundancy her Uni didn't 'recognise' GMB !

Regarding Union payments...
Found Unison... but it's only for the 'health care sector'...
Everyone and his dog's on that list... I never knew there were so many 'Professional Organisations'....

Last edited:
I always go for smart stuff from the charity shop if I can. As everyone's said, with the number of times I end up with tiny acid holes in my clothes it's not worth spending good money on nice clothes. At least with charity shop clothes, it doesn't seem so wasteful when the clothes get wrecked as you're already reusing the clothes anyway.

I claim for my union subscription, but have never claimed for washing my lab coat! Will now, thanks :):)
I did not know this! I am in UNISON, can I claim this back? does anyone have the weblink to the specific GOV site? I cant find it on there....

I did not know this! I am in UNISON, can I claim this back? does anyone have the weblink to the specific GOV site? I cant find it on there....
Its on HMRC website, document p87. I believe you can claim back for 4/5 years worth (you have to fill in one form per year)

"UNISON (Health Care Sector) (Tax relief is due to members of Unison Health Care Sector within the sectors of nursing ambulance voluntary professional and technical A professional and technical B senior and general managers)"

And

"University and College Union (formed from the merger of the National Association of Teachers in Further and Higher Education and the Association of University Teachers)"

And

"National Education Union, NEU, with effect from the 2017 to 2018 tax year"

And

"National Union of Teachers, NUT"

etc.

So the discrepancy above regarding UNISON needs to be looked at asap. I will flag it up with the national officers.

"UNISON (Health Care Sector) (Tax relief is due to members of Unison Health Care Sector within the sectors of nursing ambulance voluntary professional and technical A professional and technical B senior and general managers)"

And

"University and College Union (formed from the merger of the National Association of Teachers in Further and Higher Education and the Association of University Teachers)"

And

"National Education Union, NEU, with effect from the 2017 to 2018 tax year"

And

"National Union of Teachers, NUT"

etc.

So the discrepancy above regarding UNISON needs to be looked at asap. I will flag it up with the national officers.
GMB not on the list it seems. But then it's 'not recognised' by some establishments!

I'm more concerned about the discrepancy between support and teaching unions. Unison will certainly be making efforts to realign that as far as its own membership goes, or coming back with a reason why not. Don't hold your breath for GMB. 8 -)

Reactions: TDM