Short Sleeved Lab Coats

We like short sleeved lab coats here because the sleeves don't get wet when you wash up. Our old ones are Alexandra but they don't stock them any more, does anyone have a good supplier that stocks sensible UK sizes not miniature Chinese ones?!!!

clairelucas

COMMITTEE
Mine are permanently 6" folded back....
With 3/4 sleeve or t-shirts underneath, only my (waterproof) watch gets doused... Usually... Guess I'm pretty messy too!
Sorry, doesn't answer the question at all, I didn't know short sleeved lab coats existed..

Surely the point is when preparing chemicals it acts as a few seconds of safety - enough time to rip off the lab coat before that conc acid gets on your skin. I roll them up when they are in the way, and I don't wear them unless in lessons or dealing with hazardous chemicals. (Yes, I get splashes sometimes to my t-shirts have more holes and bleached patches than is normal, but they are cheap and expendable).
Having said that, this is a chemistry issue not a physics one and not so much a biology one.

Surely the point is when preparing chemicals it acts as a few seconds of safety - enough time to rip off the lab coat before that conc acid gets on your skin. I roll them up when they are in the way, and I don't wear them unless in lessons or dealing with hazardous chemicals. (Yes, I get splashes sometimes to my t-shirts have more holes and bleached patches than is normal, but they are cheap and expendable).

That was my thinking actually, wearing a short sleeved lab coat or rolling the sleeves up seems counter productive to me, but obviously its a personal thing. I think some technicians wear their lab coats all the time as their uniform.
We only wear lab coats here when we're dealing with specific chemicals or hazards. We're provided with a uniform of combat trousers and polo shirt which is perfectly adequate for what we do and easily replaceable. We get a new set each September, but can order replacements during the year if needed.

Janeylou

Madbird
1616756261093.png

We used to have something like this back in the day when I worked in a school kitchen. They were a reinforced, rubbery-yet-washable material. I don't rate all this plastic disposable waste much so personally wouldn't get these, but those material arm gaiters were really useful doing the washing up!

View attachment 5854

We used to have something like this back in the day when I worked in a school kitchen. They were a reinforced, rubbery-yet-washable material. I don't rate all this plastic disposable waste much so personally wouldn't get these, but those material arm gaiters were really useful doing the washing up!
You can get reusable ones

The one I've just bought off Amazon was measured with a doll's tape measure and doesn't fit so I'm trying to avoid them! I'm thinking I might have to get my sewing machine out. Lab coats are worn here as uniform - no combats or polo shirts provided - and we have long sleeved ones for special jobs but generally we all prefer short sleeved. Back in the day I used to wear Howie coats all the time but I don't like the feel of the elastic cuffs on my elbows if you push the arms up.

Techitude

COMMITTEE
We like short sleeved lab coats here because the sleeves don't get wet when you wash up. Our old ones are Alexandra but they don't stock them any more, does anyone have a good supplier that stocks sensible UK sizes not miniature Chinese ones?!!!
I must buy the same ones as you. I too noticed they're not stocking them anymore which is a massive shame as they're the only ones I fond comfortable and I like the different colours (I mainly wear blue but have pale green and white ones too). Thankfully I have a stock of about 6 of them so will make them last as long as I can.