Sheep head help!

Shame you can't put down neighbour poison. Evil person
They were useful little things as they cleared up any fallen bird seed that the birds had missed which meant that we had mice and voles in the garden rather than rats....they also make great owl and kestrel food. (I have even seen sparrowhawks take mice...)
I couldn't go out in the garden for a couple of days after finding them cos it upset me that much.
My neighbour also destroyed an active starling nest cos it was in his roof and it's not like they do any harm either (and they are red listed and need help). We have one nesting in our roof who does amazing impressions of buzzards and oystercatchers, he's really entertaining!

They were useful little things as they cleared up any fallen bird seed that the birds had missed which meant that we had mice and voles in the garden rather than rats....they also make great owl and kestrel food. (I have even seen sparrowhawks take mice...)
I couldn't go out in the garden for a couple of days after finding them cos it upset me that much.
My neighbour also destroyed an active starling nest cos it was in his roof and it's not like they do any harm either (and they are red listed and need help). We have one nesting in our roof who does amazing impressions of buzzards and oystercatchers, he's really entertaining!
Yikes, what a piece of work your neighbour is.

Red list or not, it is illegal to destroy or even disturb an active nest in the UK, with unlimited fines.

What a vile neighbour you have!

Yikes, what a piece of work your neighbour is.

Red list or not, it is illegal to destroy or even disturb an active nest in the UK, with unlimited fines.
Hmmm, we had to disturb a nest here. A chem tech years ago came down to me chuckling away & said , come to my room to see this.
He had left his window open over the weekend & there was a beautiful bird nest in his Sulphuric acid tray in the racking!
The parents were outside on the flat roof looking in going crackers, bless them. No eggs thankfully.
We left window open with tray on side near it. Then after they had abandoned it fully ( a lot of twittering & fluttering went on, we kept out of that room as much as humanly possible) we put plastic mesh up whenever that window was open.

Hmmm, we had to disturb a nest here. A chem tech years ago came down to me chuckling away & said , come to my room to see this.
He had left his window open over the weekend & there was a beautiful bird nest in his Sulphuric acid tray in the racking!
The parents were outside on the flat roof looking in going crackers, bless them. No eggs thankfully.
We left window open with tray on side near it. Then after they had abandoned it fully ( a lot of twittering & fluttering went on, we kept out of that room as much as humanly possible) we put plastic mesh up whenever that window was open.
Blimey. :surprised:
It's funny where they'll nest sometimes.

Had a teacher spend a lesson with a saw once, butchers can just smash them in two with a couple of taps.

Maybe the band saw in DT? :eek:
The band saw is how we split them here, we would advise that due to the teeth it does blunt the blades, perhaps use an older blade or one at the end of it useful life.

I have worked as a tech for a long time now - I can honestly say I have never bought a sheeps head on an impulse :D or had a thought to scoop out the eyeballs. :shocked: whats wrong with you :laughing::laughing:. Same goes to sawing the heads open!
Luckily for us our local butchers supply them to us for free but if they didnt we would be ordering them from a biological supplier

In theory the eyes can be scooped out with a spoon - I tried this once , I think it requires more deft hands and a sharper spoon than I had !
I scraped off as much flesh as I could then boiled the head down in a big pan but its a waste of time - the teeth became loose and fell out - so I blu tacked them back in . TBH - it ended up looking like the crappest Halloween decoration ever. For the sake of two eyes it was loads of effort , a terrible smell ..and the kids didnt even see it ! I picked it up originally because I had visions of putting it in soil with some maggots and watching the decomposition process ...but I wasnt allowed too , old HOD - a physicist , nearly wet himself !
Oh the fun I've had as a school tech.......
OMG :) made my week LOL LOL

My other half collects roadkill, washed up seabirds, whatever the cats kill etc etc All buried in back garden…worst smell was a badger. After some time they are then displayed to ward off neighbours/ local children and other evil spirits. You should see our spare bedroom.

Attachments

• B9965DE0-25B9-413A-9712-E17F431163D1.jpeg
    B9965DE0-25B9-413A-9712-E17F431163D1.jpeg
    281.9 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
My other half collects roadkill, washed up seabirds, whatever the cats kill etc etc All buried in back garden…worst smell was a badger. After some time they are then displayed to ward off neighbours/ local children and other evil spirit. You should see our spare bedroom.
That's just weird and a bit scary :D:D

I bought a pigs head from the butcher, for domestic use, I asked him to leave the eyes in, as it then would see me through the week!!:)

My other half collects roadkill, washed up seabirds, whatever the cats kill etc etc All buried in back garden…worst smell was a badger. After some time they are then displayed to ward off neighbours/ local children and other evil spirits. You should see our spare bedroom.
I noticed the roadkill Buddah!

What have I just read?! :shocked: :laughing:

• Haha
Reactions: SAK