Sheep head help!

We got a sheep's head from the butchers but unsure how to handle it? What is the best way to open it up? And can I scoop the eyes out with a spoon? It was an impulse buy!
Had a teacher spend a lesson with a saw once, butchers can just smash them in two with a couple of taps.

Maybe the band saw in DT? :eek:

In theory the eyes can be scooped out with a spoon - I tried this once , I think it requires more deft hands and a sharper spoon than I had !
I scraped off as much flesh as I could then boiled the head down in a big pan but its a waste of time - the teeth became loose and fell out - so I blu tacked them back in . TBH - it ended up looking like the crappest Halloween decoration ever. For the sake of two eyes it was loads of effort , a terrible smell ..and the kids didnt even see it ! I picked it up originally because I had visions of putting it in soil with some maggots and watching the decomposition process ...but I wasnt allowed too , old HOD - a physicist , nearly wet himself !
Oh the fun I've had as a school tech.......

When I started as a tech a few years back, the other tech had ordered a pigs head from the butchers but had forgotten to ask them to cut it in half. I was given the task of trying to cut through it, with a very inadequate saw. The worst part was trying to hold the thing still. I remember having to use eye sockets and snout holes to get some grip. It was not the best introduction to the job!

The replies to this thread have had me crying with laughter. I know I shouldn't as an animal lover but..... :laughing: :laughing:
Me too. I checked it was in the Biology section as I know Physics bods can get a bit funny about dissection stuff (if my school is anything to go by).

I always have a chuckle when I have to order an uneven number of eyeballs from the butchers...

We got a sheep's head from the butchers but unsure how to handle it? What is the best way to open it up? And can I scoop the eyes out with a spoon? It was an impulse buy!
Reminds me of the time a teacher requested 'tongue to bum' innards of a sheep. It wasn't until I put it on his desk that he realised quite what he'd asked for. It was so aromatic that the teacher had to do the lesson outside. Never again... That said, it was a great visual.

Me too. I checked it was in the Biology section as I know any normal person can get a bit funny about dissection stuff (if my school is anything to go by).

I always have a chuckle when I have to order an uneven number of eyeballs from the butchers...

Fixed that for you..
:p ;)

Even as a biology tech, this thread is terrifying :laughing:

If it was me I would bring it down to TD and bribe the tech to fire it through the band saw haha.

You wouldnt - the smell as the saw heated up going through the bone and flesh fragments -not to mention the mess as the fragments fly off would be awful . You'd have to remove the brain first anyway . The saw would be blunted ...I used to necropsy animals ,we did skull work with hack saws - needed a new blade each time . ... Just saying ...

You wouldnt - the smell as the saw heated up going through the bone and flesh fragments -not to mention the mess as the fragments fly off would be awful . You'd have to remove the brain first anyway . The saw would be blunted ...I used to necropsy animals ,we did skull work with hack saws - needed a new blade each time . ... Just saying ...
that's why butcher do it frozen