September return, what are the rules?

Hi, I work in a FE college and so far the rules for practical work appear to differ depending where you look or who you listen to.
H&S section say 2m distance, other online reading says 1m if you can't do 2m, others say 1m plus mitigation but H&S say students can't wear masks so we stick to 2m.
Has anyone out there got an idea what is happening, I haven't.
At the moment I'm thinking it will be only 1m (if that) when we return so I'm not marking anything out yet.

the CMO/CSO say 1m plus mitigation or 2 meters in the briefings.

But for schools who knows.

Whatever the rules are now, they will almost certainly change by September. You can either assume worst case scenario and apply the original guidance and make up your own, sensible rules about distancing and PPE or wait until last minute before making a decision. One of those is both easier and safer.

Well, here we have tape on the floors to mark out one way systems and "do not go over this line" between the kids and staff desks, and the staff are reorganising desks for clearance between desks.

I've made it clear I'm wearing my own damn mask, and removal will occur only once life is extinct.

My oh my, we're off the map and into interesting times..but one for the memoirs, that's for sure!

Also work in FE and am following CLEAPSS' guidance - but as Mike says, that won't reach its final form until we're heading towards September. The reason for this is we don't know how the pandemic will pan out during the summer months, so advice will change with the situation.

We have a one way system marked out in the corridors, sanitiser presently at the reception area and bottled water to replace shared water dispensers. Presently, each room is being assessed for capacity. I will mark out the labs once I'm reasonably sure the guidance will last until September... ie in August.

I've been told there is no practical work in schools come September according to government ruling, this only after one of SLT came to measure the lab benches for screens. I told them for a practical, students would need to stand at the bench, so the screens would need to be higher than they first thought. The answer, there are no practicals for the foreseeable future, only 'televised' (which I presume is YouTube), demos. There is also no cookery and I'm not sure about DT. All benches, unless forward facing, need a screen. Academy.

Is this guidance somewhere?

I've been told we are filming demos. Kids are being allocated rooms I think.
I've not been privy to it yet. This came from one of the SLT, not the head, and I've nothing yet in writing, so I will wait and see.

Guidance: https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...l-opening-schools#section-2-school-operations says things like "Resources that are shared between classes or bubbles, such as sports, art and science equipment should be cleaned frequently and meticulously and always between bubbles, or rotated to allow them to be left unused and out of reach for a period of 48 hours (72 hours for plastics) between use by different bubbles." so there's an expectation that there will be some practical work. CLEAPSS's list of 'don't do this' pracs is very short. It's all just the problems of logisitics that might mean schools or departments decide not to bother or to really limit what gets done.

logistics here are that students are staying in form groups in a room and teachers moving to them.

We have year 8 and 6th form in our labs so not much opportunity for practicals really.

It all depends on how many rooms you have in the school.

Still waiting to see what the academy chain has decided. Meeting next week, so may know by then. I suspect it will be no practical and I will be used as a TA, at which point I may very well reconsider my position.

Still waiting to see what the academy chain has decided. Meeting next week, so may know by then. I suspect it will be no practical and I will be used as a TA, at which point I may very well reconsider my position.
member: 30646"]
Is this guidance somewhere?

I've been told we are filming demos. Kids are being allocated rooms I think.
[/QUOTE]

logistics here are that students are staying in form groups in a room and teachers moving to them.

We have year 8 and 6th form in our labs so not much opportunity for practicals really.

Guidance: https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...l-opening-schools#section-2-school-operations says things like "Resources that are shared between classes or bubbles, such as sports, art and science equipment should be cleaned frequently and meticulously and always between bubbles, or rotated to allow them to be left unused and out of reach for a period of 48 hours (72 hours for plastics) between use by different bubbles." so there's an expectation that there will be some practical work. CLEAPSS's list of 'don't do this' pracs is very short. It's all just the problems of logisitics that might mean schools or departments decide not to bother or to really limit what gets done.
We will certainly be doing practicals as all the risk assessments have been made. Science is a very practical and without performing experiments students have a very poor foundation.

The ASE video (posted by cleapss) 'practicals in a post lockdown world' suggested the frequent thorough hand washing advice was going to be the most important advice, because effectively sterilising all equipment or waiting 72hrs between uses was unlikely to be possible. It also presumed class sizes were going to be down to 11-15 students, which I'm not sure is possible if all students are back, my HoD certainly thinks we'll be full class sizes...
I'm looking into if we can microscale-ish chemicals, maybe using the 7ml bijou bottles and pipette (so can all be washed/dumped post use)and very dilute stuff if possible, but can't let them have chemicals if they're not changing rooms to at least have one with a sink...
We still have to get together to plan and see what's possible, but I can see demos being the way forward for now...

The ASE video (posted by cleapss) 'practicals in a post lockdown world' suggested the frequent thorough hand washing advice was going to be the most important advice, because effectively sterilising all equipment or waiting 72hrs between uses was unlikely to be possible. It also presumed class sizes were going to be down to 11-15 students, which I'm not sure is possible if all students are back, my HoD certainly thinks we'll be full class sizes...
I'm looking into if we can microscale-ish chemicals, maybe using the 7ml bijou bottles and pipette (so can all be washed/dumped post use)and very dilute stuff if possible, but can't let them have chemicals if they're not changing rooms to at least have one with a sink...
We still have to get together to plan and see what's possible, but I can see demos being the way forward for now...
A very informative post Claire. Everything will work out fine providing everyone accepts that rules are rules. Keep safe Claire and enjoy your well deserved holiday.

When we heard about year group 'bubbles' I suggested that maybe students stay put & teachers move around. Dearie me, light the blue touch paper... Teachers do NOT like idea of moving.

When we heard about year group 'bubbles' I suggested that maybe students stay put & teachers move around. Dearie me, light the blue touch paper... Teachers do NOT like idea of moving.
they need to read the dfe guidance. (the teachers are even cleaning the desk between teachers.)

Techitude

COMMITTEE
That was our schools original plan until they looked closer at the logistics and realised the students would be unattended in the rooms while the teachers were moving around. They decided to scrap that idea and the students will now be moving around school like normal just with a slightly amended routine for doing so.

That was our schools original plan until they looked closer at the logistics and realised the students would be unattended in the rooms while the teachers were moving around. They decided to scrap that idea and the students will now be moving around school like normal just with a slightly amended routine for doing so.
Then they need to clean the whole room after each change.