Senior Science Technician

I agree that having a degree isn't relevant to being a good technician. However excellent Senior Technicians are not rewarded financially.

I was a Senior Science Technician for 4 years. Now I'm just a Science Technician on a better wage.

Here the senior role is purely for someone to get paid a bit more. They do nothing more than us apart from our appraisals which I just fill in for him anyway. It's always been a role given based on nothing more than how long someone's been here!

Here the Senior role has definite extra duties not performed by the other technicians. In your establishment who does the stock control and ordering of resources, who deals with all matters not directly related to science lessons ie liaising with facilities, finance and admin. Who is the first port of call if there is anything wrong, who has to rectify the situation, and who deals with teaching staff including SLT when they don't have a clue.

Here the Senior role has definite extra duties not performed by the other technicians. In your establishment who does the stock control and ordering of resources, who deals with all matters not directly related to science lessons ie liaising with facilities, finance and admin. Who is the first port of call if there is anything wrong, who has to rectify the situation, and who deals with teaching staff including SLT when they don't have a clue.
All of us do all of these things for our own subject areas. I'd actually argue I do more of all of them than the senior.

I do all of those and they only take up a small amount of my time throughout the year.

I think nearly every technician on this forum whether senior or standard tech has done those duties

Agree. Ours does literally nothing more than send off the equipment orders which me and the other 2 ordinary techs put together ourselves on a spreadsheet so all he has to do is send it. Also does our annual appraisals pretending he is in a position to comment on my work (split site, never see him, doesn't have a clue what my job is like). I find it a bit annoying that he's being paid £4K more than me for this.
same

I think this a problem in your establishment and there should be defined roles and responsibilities as we have here.
There are 2 of us 14 labs on 4 floors and 6 different areas of the school, we have 2000 students and 20 science teachers.

Ive been a senior science technician for 6 years and a 'normal' technician for 6 years, at the times when I've been a technician the Seniors role was always well defined, e.g I didnt do any of the ordering or stock taking etc. This always worked out well as that way, the senior technician had extra duties that justified the extra salary. Had this not been the case, and i found myself in a position like you have Jasper75 then I certainly wouldn't of been happy. However, I'd say that the argument isnt if senior science technicians are needed or not, but what the role should be. If youre writing up and sending the orders, compleating the stock takes, dealing with H&S issues and having overall responsibility for the prep room then you should be senior, whether you work on your own or as part of a team. By having the senior role at least it gives 'normal' technicians somewhere to move up to and a chance to up their wage.

I think this a problem in your establishment and there should be defined roles and responsibilities as we have here.
There are 2 of us 14 labs on 4 floors and 6 different areas of the school, we have 2000 students and 20 science teachers.

It sounds like the Senior Tech role works well at your place.

How many prep rooms do you have for those 14 labs? Do you and your fellow technician cover all the 14 labs together or do your have set areas that you work in?

We have 1 prep room and 1 chemical store ( bit of a nightmare as you can imagine with all the stock we need ) We both cover all the labs in an attempt to be a flexible as possible. The students have staggered lunches so majority of periods are back to back. We have established a system of best called ins and out so as we take one lesson and return to the prep room we both know what needs still taking and coming back, we have managed to get this down to a fine art, in normal times we can have 40-50 practical's a day. ( 10000 steps no problem). At present the students are in bubbles so we are actually taking practical's across the whole of the school.

We have 1 prep room and 1 chemical store ( bit of a nightmare as you can imagine with all the stock we need ) We both cover all the labs in an attempt to be a flexible as possible. The students have staggered lunches so majority of periods are back to back. We have established a system of best called ins and out so as we take one lesson and return to the prep room we both know what needs still taking and coming back, we have managed to get this down to a fine art, in normal times we can have 40-50 practical's a day. ( 10000 steps no problem). At present the students are in bubbles so we are actually taking practical's across the whole of the school.

Wow sounds pretty hectic. You two are doing a good job covering so many labs.

I'm a lone tech (nearly two years) after my senior got asked to leave...

I do senior level stuff but I am still with the same agency (due to COVID).

I politely remind my HoD when she expects senior stuff to be done.

I don't mind learning bits and bobs through having a bit more responsibility (the technician side of things).

Anyways, half term next week :)

Attached is my job description which I put together to support a pay rise which I got. You are welcome to use and adapt it if they want to know what we really do. It shocked the bursar.

You.ve done a good job! I may borrow that and tweek it a little - it's amazing what we do when you actually think about it!

"Providing technical support to experienced and trainee teachers including health & safety guidance"

Prefer 'Devil's Advocate!"
"Do you really want to do electrolysis on the last lesson before half term with that class?"

Uhhhhhh, how on earth are just two of you managing that! Definitely superhuman!

I now want the story behind the old senior....
Got caught sleeping on the job (if your going to sleep, do it somewhere that isnt next to the main door), burnt my fingers on that whoosh bottle demo by doing it horizontally, was rude/dismissive when I asked him questions, never stood up to a teacher (so we had teachers doing things such as burning paper in a non-science lab), couldn't speak/understand English that well (made for some funny cross conversations) and took the p(*& by several times spending 30-45mins on sorting out home stuff (not doing it during lunch or a quiet period) during a time a practical needed to be sent out.

So yeah....

He was a Physics guy, and as a Biologist I can only imagine his sense of organisation and prioritisation was out of this world (maybe in some other universe).