Senior Science Technician

What makes a senior tech senior? Is supervising other Techs a requirement ie can a lone tech ever be a senior tech? Just curious. I’m in Scotland so may be different to Englandshire.

What makes a senior tech senior? Is supervising other Techs a requirement ie can a lone tech ever be a senior tech? Just curious. I’m in Scotland so may be different to Englandshire.
I'm a lone tech and am regarded as a senior technician because I have full responsibility for everything except supervising other techs - In fact it is more demanding because I can't 'pick' any other tech brains except through this forum.

Think this is probably a discussion I will have my line manager ( Business Manager) in the future, although I have a feeling that she has no real grasp of the scope of a science techs role. As far as I know I was employed on a specific grading structure which will not change regardless of how competent I am (or not) nor relate to the value that I can bring to the science department. This is my first ever role in public sector and I’m used to both of the above having at least some bearing on any career progression.

Think this is probably a discussion I will have my line manager ( Business Manager) in the future, although I have a feeling that she has no real grasp of the scope of a science techs role. As far as I know I was employed on a specific grading structure which will not change regardless of how competent I am (or not) nor relate to the value that I can bring to the science department. This is my first ever role in public sector and I’m used to both of the above having at least some bearing on any career progression.
Attached is my job description which I put together to support a pay rise which I got. You are welcome to use and adapt it if they want to know what we really do. It shocked the bursar.

Attachments

• Job description lab tech (2).docx
    44 KB · Views: 120
Attached is my job description which I put together to support a pay rise which I got. You are welcome to use and adapt it if they want to know what we really do. It shocked the bursar.
Interesting read! Only thing I'd add, that I'm pretty sure we all do without thinking about it, is to constantly review our procedures, to improve the quality and efficiency of our service, and adapt them to changing circumstances.

I did this a couple of years ago and I just forgot to add that I manage the LabLogger account as well - which includes incorporating new features, managing staff accounts, managing the LabLogger stock list, adding/creating new templates and keeping the template database up to date

I'm a lone tech and am regarded as a senior technician because I have full responsibility for everything except supervising other techs - In fact it is more demanding because I can't 'pick' any other tech brains except through this forum.

Essentially the same boat that I'm in. I also had no experience besides my labwork at college and university before getting it, and only a week with my predecessor before they moved on. Basically had to teach myself as I've gone along, and I still don't feel like I'm fully confident yet. That's why this forum is such a help.

That and YouTube.

Essentially the same boat that I'm in. I also had no experience besides my labwork at college and university before getting it, and only a week with my predecessor before they moved on. Basically had to teach myself as I've gone along, and I still don't feel like I'm fully confident yet. That's why this forum is such a help.

That and YouTube.
In addition, I have received no technician training whatsoever - All self taught!!!!

Carol Taylor

Footsore
I am named Senior and used to have underlings. When I discovered that the LCC has a structure for that (grade 6 whereas I'm a 5 and my assistants were 4s) I approached the HT. She asked me to come to a meeting with my evidence, congratulated me for having the balls to do it but declined the application. Although I told the assistants exactly what to do, when to do it and filled out their appraisal forms I was not their line manager. In addition, although I do all the ordering and reconciling of orders including keeping spreadsheets I was not the budget holder. I stopped doing appraisals and haven't had one myself for many, many years. I now have no assistants as they were seconded then left. My line manager told me in lockdown that he wasn't sure if he was my line manager or not. 8 months to go.

I am named Senior and used to have underlings. When I discovered that the LCC has a structure for that (grade 6 whereas I'm a 5 and my assistants were 4s) I approached the HT. She asked me to come to a meeting with my evidence, congratulated me for having the balls to do it but declined the application. Although I told the assistants exactly what to do, when to do it and filled out their appraisal forms I was not their line manager. In addition, although I do all the ordering and reconciling of orders including keeping spreadsheets I was not the budget holder. I stopped doing appraisals and haven't had one myself for many, many years. I now have no assistants as they were seconded then left. My line manager told me in lockdown that he wasn't sure if he was my line manager or not. 8 months to go.
I am a senior here and the only difference between here and my last job as a solo tech was I now have minions :D
I'm going to throw this one in and step back!!!
Joking aside, referring to the colleagues you supervise (or anyone for that matter) as 'minions' or 'underlings' is not acceptable and certainly not something a manager should ever do! In a previous career (police) I would have been disciplined for such language and it is irrelevant whether they were aware of or heard me saying it or whether I was joking or not.

Last edited:
The problem is that you seem to of stayed there.

If more technicians started voting with their feet the schools would have to step up their game.

Carol Taylor

Footsore
Joking aside, referring to the colleagues you supervise (or anyone for that matter) as 'minions' or 'underlings' is not acceptable and certainly not something a manager should ever do! In a previous career (police) I would have been disciplined for such language and it is irrelevant whether they were aware of or heard me saying it or or whether I was joking or not.
Fair enough, obviously trying for levity, lucky I never got the manager title. We had similar affectionate jokey titles for me (Beaker mainly), the teaching staff all have nicknames here too which reminds us not to take ourselves too seriously but we rely on each other and show respect in front of the pupils and to the SLT.

Carol Taylor

Footsore
The problem is that you seem to of stayed there.

If more technicians started voting with their feet the schools would have to step up their game.
12 years in spring. I have applied elsewhere over the years but vacancies are few and far between unless going into social care. My suitability is in inverse proportion to my age and there are so many young graduates out there, hopefully one will get my job when I retire.

Joking aside, referring to the colleagues you supervise (or anyone for that matter) as 'minions' or 'underlings' is not acceptable and certainly not something a manager should ever do! In a previous career (police) I would have been disciplined for such language and it is irrelevant whether they were aware of or heard me saying it or or whether I was joking or not.
They know they get called minions, but mostly because we are all banana fuelled and a bit nuts

Fair enough, obviously trying for levity, lucky I never got the manager title. We had similar affectionate jokey titles for me (Beaker mainly), the teaching staff all have nicknames here too which reminds us not to take ourselves too seriously but we rely on each other and show respect in front of the pupils and to the SLT.
The difference between affectionate jokey titles, nicknames etc and calling the people who work under you names like minions is that it's belittling and degrading to those people and totally inappropriate whilst you are in a position of authority over them simply because they are not really in a position to tell you that they don't appreciate it.

I quite like the idea of being a minion - my profile pic is closer to reality than I like to admit......! Certainly matches my chaotic/daft/inquisitive/mischievous character..... So much so that my sister-in-law drew a picture for mine and my wife's anniversary a few years ago in which I was represented by "Dave" the minion...... (and my wife by some kind of cute furry animal....) :sun: