Science Techs. as department First Aiders

Hi

Should Science Techs. who carry out a First Aider role in their department be paid a minimal remuneration token? Feedback would be much appreciated.

I was paid a small amount extra per month when I was a first aider. I chose not to renew my training when it expired, as I was finding the role too disruptive to my tech duties. The extra monthly payment wasn't really enough to miss when it stopped.

I was first aider in previous school and had a small remuneration (a couple of quid a month) - but it got in the way of tech duties as I was a lone tech, so didnt continue with it.

here I am a fire marshall as we have 2 ft first aiders, and also get paid a couple of quid a month - as with LyndaR above, its not enough to miss when stopped.
hope you get it sorted :)

I'm a first aider & get the grand sum of £7 a month for doing it. It gets in the way of my normal duties & quite often I'm tempted not to renew it, but it is my ticket for getting on the school ski trips which although is hard work I really enjoy.

When i first started being science technician (over 30 years ago) i went on the CLEAPSS Health & Safety course.
They advised the group then the only two courses they you should not do/go on unless your were well remunerated and you wanted to do it was PAT testing and first aid.
Have been on many CLEAPSS course since then and again the above has been repeated many times.
I would jump off the science block rather then do a first aid course

Pretty much everyone here is first aid trained. It means no one needs to be dragged away from their own duties, correct first actions can be taken, and the school nurse can be summoned if it's something more serious.

karen b

COMMITTEE
Pretty much everyone here is first aid trained. It means no one needs to be dragged away from their own duties, correct first actions can be taken, and the school nurse can be summoned if it's something more serious.
Same here.

We don't get any remuneration for it, but matron deals with anything more serious than cooling a burn under a tap

that would be the ideal way to approach it.

I wouldn't mind being first aid trained for general life to be able to help someone in the street for example, or even if my range was just the science department but honestly I could see it becoming a pain in the ar*e very very quickly, getting summoned up to the top floor in the middle of a task just to put a plaster on someones finger

Anyone who isn't a teacher gets first aid training here, with something like a £300 inducement for doing it. It used to be all first aiders were responsible for the whole campus, but now it is a few first aiders are responsible for each department - which is great as I used to get most of the call outs for the whole campus and now there's three of us looking after the department with the fewest callouts...

Hi

Should Science Techs. who carry out a First Aider role in their department be paid a minimal remuneration token? Feedback would be much appreciated.
I've been a First Aider every place I've worked. I think having the training is well worth having, all my kids have been on First Aid training courses. It's an important Life skill.

Julie Delaney

COMMITTEE
Hi

Absolutely we should! However, it's not going to happen here. I was told last year that it is now my job to be science first aider. It's not something that I am pleased about, due to clashes with my work, having enough to do; lot's of call outs are for stuff that happened at home, or a 3 day old paper cut! seriously!

Julie Delaney

COMMITTEE
When i first started being science technician (over 30 years ago) i went on the CLEAPSS Health & Safety course.
They advised the group then the only two courses they you should not do/go on unless your were well remunerated and you wanted to do it was PAT testing and first aid.
Have been on many CLEAPSS course since then and again the above has been repeated many times.
I would jump off the science block rather then do a first aid course
Totally with you on this @Blackadder I was not given a choice in the matter. :rolleyes:

I've been a first aider in every school I've worked in.
At the minute I get £13 something (less tax) a month, but I only deal with Science.
It's very rare that I get called anywhere else as all P.E and office staff are trained.

I was First Aider here ( 1st aid at work, not 1 day course) because I had done an intensive course outside work for another voluntary position. But have decided to let my qualification lapse as I don't want to have to cover the first aid room when the nurse is off. It's more trouble than it's worth. Last time I covered I got complaint that I had sent child home without phoning parent.
The child had snuck out & I had actually called home anyway, and noted down when I had done so with time, but as is the case in schools now, the child & parent is believed over staff. ( The parent was busy & told me to call an aunt)
I said I wouldn't cover again. This was many, many months ago & a member of SLMT brought it up again the other day, one issue in 20 years... jeez they never let you forget!
So I'm done with first aid. Although still capable of giving CPR should the need arise.
We get no extra pay for being first aider either.

Hi

We have no choice, all non-teaching staff have to be First aiders. I normally get paid £8.00 a month (after tax) but in the first lockdown, my certificate ran out. I was still carrying out First Aid when we returned to school in September but there is no sign of any payment. I have enquired about it and they will no pay out without an up to date certificate. The school provides the training and it has ceased in the current climate. We are still expected to do the First Aid, even without the certificate. It is not much money £8.00 but neither are our wages!

Last year I was trained up as a first aider (already a fire marshall). I don't mind it as we have quite a few first aiders in the school and all the reception staff are trained and they cover the medical room. Generally I'm only called to anything in science that has happened, but a few times I have been called to outside the department. But when that has happened I have been in the middle of make up chemicals, explained the situation and said to call someone as it would not be safe for me to go straight away. After the 2nd time this happened they stopped calling my outside the department.
What really annoys me is the kids that get sent to me because they feel a little sick or have a headache. I don't know what they want me to do about it as it is not first aid. I just sent them back to class or say go and see reception to ask to go home.
But I dont get anything extra for it

Last year I was trained up as a first aider (already a fire marshall). I don't mind it as we have quite a few first aiders in the school and all the reception staff are trained and they cover the medical room. Generally I'm only called to anything in science that has happened, but a few times I have been called to outside the department. But when that has happened I have been in the middle of make up chemicals, explained the situation and said to call someone as it would not be safe for me to go straight away. After the 2nd time this happened they stopped calling my outside the department.
What really annoys me is the kids that get sent to me because they feel a little sick or have a headache. I don't know what they want me to do about it as it is not first aid. I just sent them back to class or say go and see reception to ask to go home.
But I dont get anything extra for it

Hate it when teachers send kids with headaches / feeling sick to me :mad: Always send them back to class and tell them to drink some water.

Hate it when teachers send kids with headaches / feeling sick to me :mad: Always send them back to class and tell them to drink some water.
Agree, when I used to cover for Nursey I was flummoxed when kids were sent with headache. Apart from asking if they had banged their head, I couldn't think what to do apart from asking them if they had eaten that morning & gave them drink of water.
Some kids had migraines & had notes to call home for permission to give tablets, but I really never knew what teachers expected us to do!
As for the sicky ones...just got them as far away from me as possible with a bowl. Yuk.
Doesn't help that the medical room has no windows & is incredible small, hot & stuffy.

Julie Delaney

COMMITTEE
it happens here all of the time, the teachers just want someone else to sort it out and unfortunately the techie is first port of call. :(