Science shopping

School debit card with spending amount of max £50 per month. At the end of the month I hand over all the receipts to the finance dept - Straight forward and no chasing.
If ever I require to spend over £50, then it is put in my wages the same month. Must say my finance officer is great and supportive and tries her level best to make everyone's life easier.

I'm currently waiting for £75 back - 4 different shops. I used to get cash back immediately, then they switched to BACS when Covid hit but it used to only take a week which was fine... Now it's more like 2-3 weeks which doesn't really work for me (funnily)!

I've spent over £30 out of my own pocket since the start of term (again!) and put a claim in but as £30 is the cash limit for immediate refund so I'll get a refund in the next payroll in late Oct. In the meantime I've told the Science teachers that they will have to get their own stuff for at least the next month. Despite my asking every year, we aren't allowed cash up front or a prepaid card with a set limit that can be topped up when required (like I'm going to book a cruise or something!).

The problem is the financial system and protocols haven't advanced much into the digital age much less contactless or payment via a phone app.
I've told the teachers to have a whinge at the Senior Management about the system (as will I), but being the second-worst paid in the Science Dept I don't see why I should be subsidising something that used to be an uncommon event (hence 'petty cash') but has now become the norm and totally routine.

Don't get me started on the lack of teacher planning.....

I don't see why I should be subsidising something that used to be an uncommon event (hence 'petty cash') but has now become the norm and totally routine.
Agreed! I used to have an occasional shopping list. Now I can guarantee that I will have something to buy every week. Keep on at SLT. I have really nagged this term and surprise surprise now that SLT have spoken to the bursar the issue is going to be addressed. Strange though that she was horrified that I have to buy everything myself and claim it back yet she was the one that brought in the new system, refused to give me cash and refused to give me a pre-loaded credit card!! Typical behaviour in schools... support staff are invisible and our pleas fall on deaf ears! I rest my case :laughing:

STEMTech

Dave
We are not permitted to go shopping for the school as it requires getting in the car which requires business insurance and they won't pay and it's difficult getting the money back so teachers buy it out of their own money anyway. Works for me! Not ideal though.

We are not permitted to go shopping for the school as it requires getting in the car which requires business insurance and they won't pay and it's difficult getting the money back so teachers buy it out of their own money anyway. Works for me! Not ideal though.
I tend to do the shopping en route to and from work or to get lunch - maybe I shouldn't be doing that either.

Just to add too this debate,shopping for small items. ie liver ,kidneys celery etc.. seems to be issue here too i understand that our school wants cashless i understand,
the old way was we would pick up items for science sometimes during works sometimes after mostly on foot, when we had spent round £10 i would use what we called a imprest sheet added items and clipped on reciepts hod signed it i got cash back from finance ,that has ended so i am not allowed to use petty cash ,so i thought maybe a school card or dept card with a limit, but instead finance don t seem to grasp that sometimes what i need has to be fresh or needed within maybe a weeks notice? so they are saying click and collect tesco minimum spend £25 and to use amazon hmmm. this limits me where we can go for things for the department any more thoughts or ideas ?

Just to add too this debate,shopping for small items. ie liver ,kidneys celery etc.. seems to be issue here too i understand that our school wants cashless i understand,
the old way was we would pick up items for science sometimes during works sometimes after mostly on foot, when we had spent round £10 i would use what we called a imprest sheet added items and clipped on reciepts hod signed it i got cash back from finance ,that has ended so i am not allowed to use petty cash ,so i thought maybe a school card or dept card with a limit, but instead finance don t seem to grasp that sometimes what i need has to be fresh or needed within maybe a weeks notice? so they are saying click and collect tesco minimum spend £25 and to use amazon hmmm. this limits me where we can go for things for the department any more thoughts or ideas ?
just fill a PO and let them deal with the cash only butcher...

CovTech

Lvl 37 Alchemist
COMMITTEE
If finance are making it impossible for you to do this yourself then apologise to the teachers and let them know that from now on they'll have to get their own

They kick off loud enough and hard enough at the HoD that it'll get sorted pretty quick thereafter

I keep receipts for shopping, I collate them every month and put in a claim, the money goes into my bank account a week or so after submitting the claim. The money comes from the department budget.

Our school has gone cashless too. Used to have £50 science petty cash which went to £20 and then to nothing, it's almost like we're not trusted. I bought something with my own money once since petty cash stopped and had to wait 2 months to be reimbursed. We now have a school credit card available to use which is good because I certainly won't pay for anything from my own money again and you guys shouldn't be expected to.

Petty cash for stuff like marshmallows. Expenses (eg if we go on a course) can take a couple of months depending on when the course was in the month.

We have a petty cash float that can take the cash out of for my shopping, and we are in town so I can usually walk in and get what I need. They used to have me paying about £150 upfront for fish to dissect but I soon put a stop to that....as others have said - why should the worst paid member of staff sub the department.....

In my first school we had a £50/week shopping budget. of which I'd go and get £30 cash from finance every friday morning, then once orders were in and shopping list collated I'd go and do the shopping, during school hours. Anything over the £30 I'd pay but when I handed the receipts in they'd pay me straight back.
My car was insured with Direct Line who include business insurance at no extra cost, and school also payed mileage, which I'd claim at the end of every half term to make a nice little pot of cash for every holiday.

I assumed this was just the way it worked everywhere, I was quite surprised when I moved schools and found out someone has to do the shopping in their own time and pay out their own pocket and claim back.

I assumed this was just the way it worked everywhere, I was quite surprised when I moved schools and found out someone has to do the shopping in their own time and pay out their own pocket and claim back.
Oh I definitely claim the time I spend shopping against the extra hours I owe! I'm not doing that for free.

I do definitely need to sort out a different way to pay for things though as not getting the money they owe me back fast enough has pushed me into my overdraft again :(

STEMTech

Dave
We are looking into ASDA home delivery. If we can get an account we will just order perishable stuff in the normal way and wait for it to arrive.
It seems too simple - there's bound to be a snag!

Oh I definitely claim the time I spend shopping against the extra hours I owe! I'm not doing that for free.

I do definitely need to sort out a different way to pay for things though as not getting the money they owe me back fast enough has pushed me into my overdraft again :(
That happened to me - I told the school they would have to pay my bank charges. They didn't like that.