SciChem deliveries and billing for things that haven't arrived

Peter Sigsworth

COMMITTEE
Is anyone else having problems with SciChem - as they are taking ages to deliver and sending demands for payment when the stuff hasn't even arrived yet. I know they have just been taken over by Inivos- so must be trying to set up new protocols?

Yes, we had an email at the start of this term chasing an unpaid invoice for an order (placed early July) that hadn't arrived at that point. The order arrived about a week later !

Peter Sigsworth

COMMITTEE
Yep - they have introduced an 'automised billing system' which sends out demands 30 days from the date of order (not date of arrival). So if they don't get the stuff to you which seems to be the most frequent case, you still get the bill - which I will ignore until the whole order arrives. I suggest you do the same!

Yes we have! Invoice sent to one of the Governors and taking aaaages to deliver; shame they used to be my favourite supplier!

CovTech

Lvl 37 Alchemist
COMMITTEE
I vaguely remember them telling me a few years back they'd switched to a model where they held hardly any stock and just request it be sent directly from the suppliers to cut rent or something

I dare say certain UK-EU developments may have slowed that process down considerably given half their suppliers were overseas

Our recent delivery had a few breakages in it, so they said they would resend. The second delivery had breakages as well. They are resending a third time and investigating the warehouse as to why the items weren't packed sufficiently well. First time I have had this otr of problem with them.

I ordered some colorimeters which did arrive although one was broken. I called them and they said they would send the labels for the broken one to be returned and they would send a replacement. Neither the labels or the replacement ever arrived. I took the colorimeter apart and could luckily fix it myself but to be honest, after dealing with them for years I did expect better service. I've tended to go to other suppliers recently as they are more competitive.

I almost never use Sci-Chem. I find that almost everything they sell is over-priced compared to other suppliers, and never have anything in stock (though the above revelation explains why that is). I also generally avoid those with high spend requirements in order to qualify for free shipping unless I know I'm making a large order. 3 strikes for SciChem.

Yes, this happens to us too. the invoice arrives before the goods - extremely promptly!! Wish I could say the same for the goods.
Their 'new' website is a nightmare too. So little product information, and don't get me started on the search facility.

Our recent delivery had a few breakages in it, so they said they would resend. The second delivery had breakages as well. They are resending a third time and investigating the warehouse as to why the items weren't packed sufficiently well. First time I have had this otr of problem with them.
This could be a problem with the delivery company. The company my partner works for is having issues getting expensive items delivered in one piece. Something to do with the reliable company they have always used being bought out by another company.

I almost never use Sci-Chem. I find that almost everything they sell is over-priced compared to other suppliers, and never have anything in stock (though the above revelation explains why that is). I also generally avoid those with high spend requirements in order to qualify for free shipping unless I know I'm making a large order. 3 strikes for SciChem.

Yup, I never liked them too for the same reasons.

This could be a problem with the delivery company. The company my partner works for is having issues getting expensive items delivered in one piece. Something to do with the reliable company they have always used being bought out by another company.
I thought it might be that as well, but Finance, who checked the delivery on arrival, said there wasn't sufficient packing materials in the box to prevent movement of the itmes during transit

Yes, this happens to us too. the invoice arrives before the goods - extremely promptly!! Wish I could say the same for the goods.
Their 'new' website is a nightmare too. So little product information, and don't get me started on the search facility.
Oh god the search facility is horrific - the worst.

I was looking a while ago and they had three different volumetric pipettes with exactly the same description - no indication of volume !!!

I have a part order outstanding from May, which I have chased before and after the summer break, as yet no response - exceedingly disappointing

They did have a warehouse free takeaway for local schools when they moved.

Interesting to know.
I stopped using them about 4 years ago when they suddenly hiked up all their prices, and customer service became poor (delivery of one basic item from an order took over 6 months and required repeated chasing emails). They had previously been one of our main suppliers.