School departing the LA "umbrella" for H&S.......

Hello, Hive Mind!

I had a visit from the HoD this morning, with what seemed to me to be concerning news.....

Apparently, the decision has been made - for purely financial reasons, I might add - for the school to leave the protective umbrella of the LA and go it alone on safety matters (to clarify: we are an Academy Trust, a "solo" school ie. not part of a MAT, and since becoming an Academy have bought back our H&S support etc. from the LA we used to be employed by on similar terms to what we had before academisation).

We WILL (I'm assured, at least :confused:) be joining CLEAPSS as a member directly, so will still have their guidance to fall back on, but has anyone else been through this kind of thing? Is there anything we need to think about? Any pitfalls that weren't foreseen? I'm not keen on the idea myself, but then I am quite risk-averse by nature (read as: I don't like change ;)!)

I've come up with a couple of reasons not to go - one being that the RPA/RPO/RPS(Schools) chain seems a lot more complex, and we'd likely have to appoint our own RPA rather than use CLEAPSS, etc - but is there any other ammunition I can take to say "don't do it!"?

I know from chatting to various techs back when the whole academy thing started that some LA's withdrew the support from schools rather than the other way round, and some of those close to here affiliated to our LA for H&S stuff - it seems crazy to walk away from it to me.....

Any ideas....? :)
 
Between CLEAPSS and RPA costs, I wonder how much financial difference it will make...? The other admin bits that come to mind are things like certification to store IDA, which is less of a financial concern but may have been organised by someone externally prior to this.

Can you get in contact with the LA directly and ask for a rundown of all of the H&S documentation and provisions they currently provide? If you have a concrete list of what you are getting from them right now it may helpt o clarify what is needed.
 
Given that the decision is financial, I would try to find out the current cost being paid and make sure that the school is aware of the costs of replacing the key services. CLEAPSS membership through the local authority is about 50% cheaper than going directly (see GL001) - 15p per pupil via local authority, 31p per pupil directly. Plus the large savings by accessing radiation protection services via a Local Authority RPO rather than privately via a licenced RPA. It might be that these costs haven't been factored into the decision to leave.

It might also be possible to subscribe to a different package, e.g. CLEAPSS membership and RPO services only rather than a full H&S package, but this would depend what your local authority offers.
 
I think this is a little similar to what we had when we moved across to an academy. The school found that the councils H&S package was a lot more expensive than getting the services elsewhere and they wouldn't let you subscribe to CLEAPSS through them without having the H&S package. I did some research and found that you could apply to CLEAPSS through a neighbouring council and still get the LA discount. It might be worth sending a few emails to your neighbouring councils to see if you can still apply through them? And also contact CLEAPSS and see if they can give you some ideas of what you need for your school to make sure you're covered. They may have supported other schools going through this phase
 
Hello, Hive Mind!

I had a visit from the HoD this morning, with what seemed to me to be concerning news.....

Apparently, the decision has been made - for purely financial reasons, I might add - for the school to leave the protective umbrella of the LA and go it alone on safety matters (to clarify: we are an Academy Trust, a "solo" school ie. not part of a MAT, and since becoming an Academy have bought back our H&S support etc. from the LA we used to be employed by on similar terms to what we had before academisation).

We WILL (I'm assured, at least :confused:) be joining CLEAPSS as a member directly, so will still have their guidance to fall back on, but has anyone else been through this kind of thing? Is there anything we need to think about? Any pitfalls that weren't foreseen? I'm not keen on the idea myself, but then I am quite risk-averse by nature (read as: I don't like change ;)!)

I've come up with a couple of reasons not to go - one being that the RPA/RPO/RPS(Schools) chain seems a lot more complex, and we'd likely have to appoint our own RPA rather than use CLEAPSS, etc - but is there any other ammunition I can take to say "don't do it!"?

I know from chatting to various techs back when the whole academy thing started that some LA's withdrew the support from schools rather than the other way round, and some of those close to here affiliated to our LA for H&S stuff - it seems crazy to walk away from it to me.....

Any ideas....? :)
We buy CLEAPSS and the RPO/RPA form another London borough, they are not keen on doing RPA directly without an LA i found
 
Well, it transpires that we've actually already left, and all LA support including RPO and CLEAPSS RPA service has already been withdrawn! I went this morning with my costings and other reasons for not leaving, to be told that it was already too late! This was news to the HoD too, who wasn't consulted either..... :mad: When asked when the support was withdrawn, the reply was "oh, a while ago...." :oops:. Apparently they are "doing the CLEAPSS membership now".....

Not happy. :mad:
 
Top