Samples in the fridge

Greetings to everyone,

How long can we conserve the samples (heart, pluck ets) in the fridge (not freezer) in order to dissect?

Regards

Personally, I would defrost them as close as possible to the day you are dissecting so they won't be as smelly. Otherwise I'd give them about 5 days in the fridge. I re-freeze any that we haven't used so if I keep them defrosted for the shortest amount of time I'm cutting down on the smell when I defrost them second time around!

Personally, I would defrost them as close as possible to the day you are dissecting so they won't be as smelly. Otherwise I'd give them about 5 days in the fridge. I re-freeze any that we haven't used so if I keep them defrosted for the shortest amount of time I'm cutting down on the smell when I defrost them second time around!
Ok that works for me perfectly

Actually they dissected a heart on Tuesday and then they wanted it back for today,

I sprayed with antiseptic and put it in the fridge, then I put it out for today and then again sprayed with antiseptic

Well yeah, the query actually was how dangerous is to reuse a heart that stayed out of fridge for the first dissection (approximately two hours) and then was put again it the fridge for three days?

Well yeah, the query actually was how dangerous is to reuse a heart that stayed out of fridge for the first dissection (approximately two hours) and then was put again it the fridge for three days?
In what way are you thinking it might be dangerous? Its not like anyone is going to eat it. I would imagine your main problem will be the smell if it has been out of the fridge once already.

In what way are you thinking it might be dangerous? Its not like anyone is going to eat it. I would imagine your main problem will be the smell if it has been out of the fridge once already.
No the smell is ok,

I was wondering about the germs

Twice in my working life someone either switched the freezer off whilst I was away or the electrics tripped early in the Christmas hols and I came back to find the plucks and hearts all green. Needless to say once smelled you never forget it, and the freezer was condemned on the spot.

Twice in my working life someone either switched the freezer off whilst I was away or the electrics tripped early in the Christmas hols and I came back to find the plucks and hearts all green. Needless to say once smelled you never forget it, and the freezer was condemned on the spot.
It happened here as well,

It was by far my worst period in this job

No the smell is ok,

I was wondering about the germs
If they don't smell then they probably haven't degraded too much. As long as proper handwashing /glove wearing and thorough cleaning of all items that have been in contact with the hearts is observed, there shouldn't be a problem.

:sick::sick:

Greetings to everyone,

How long can we conserve the samples (heart, pluck ets) in the fridge (not freezer) in order to dissect?

Regards
View or download 'G268 - Dissection.. a guide to safe practice'. Cleapss guidelines say two days in fridge after freezing.

We get our body parts (still warm!) fresh from the abattoir so they will happily keep in the fridge for the week if needed. Saying that we usually bag up and freeze asap and defrost when needed. Any body parts that survive the first dissection will then normally be refrozen and used a second time before disposal.

Depends on how much you like that class. If you don't then I'd say it's just fine