salmon heads

Are you using them for gill dissection? Our biology tech used to buy whole mackerel from the local supermarket. I'm sure they'd be cheaper and they're still a decent size. Plus afterwards, they're a tasty treat for anyone's cat! :);)

Are you using them for gill dissection? Our biology tech used to buy whole mackerel from the local supermarket. I'm sure they'd be cheaper and they're still a decent size. Plus afterwards, they're a tasty treat for anyone's cat! :);)
I was just about to say we buy whole mackerel from our local Tesco. Our A-Level students do a practical where they have to look at the whole fish as well as the gills. The main problem is stopping the fish counter from gutting them and cutting off the head before they package them up!! They don't work out that expensive. I'm also lucky that one of our technicians has a husband who likes to go fishing a lot so I am often able to procure trout heads in this way!

Tesco's fish counter save me fish heads for free [after I told them Asda happy to save them, tho not asked by then ;)] , I collect then twice a week.
Morrison's [used to not sure they still do] would sell fish heads if asked.
Asda were happy to save them and give me fish that was being 'taken off sale' sadly they eviscerate the whole fish, no gills left! :confused:

Tesco's fish counter save me fish heads for free [after I told them Asda happy to save them, tho not asked by then ;)] , I collect then twice a week.
Morrison's [used to not sure they still do] would sell fish heads if asked.
Asda were happy to save them and give me fish that was being 'taken off sale' sadly they eviscerate the whole fish, no gills left! :confused:
Our Asda told me that all their fish come in fully filleted so not surprised nothing left. Shame though.

Carol Taylor

Footsore
Assistant going into Morrison's morning and evening to get what they have in the way of random fish heads so that will have to do. 14 salmon heads is a bit much to store (we only have a domestic fridge-freezer) without turfing out the lungs, hearts, red cabbage etc.

Whiting are much cheaper and are just about the only fish not gutted immediately, so you can use them for gill and digestive system dissection. I get them from our local fish quay, fresh off the boat that morning. Otherwise, your local fishmonger. There's no escaping that the new slew of practicals are expensive in either cash or time - often both.

We have some from smelly alley at the moment which seem pretty good quality. It is our local fishmonger though so we collected them rather than having them delivered.

They also seem to be faring well through the freeze and thaw between classes so have had multiple uses of them.

This is something I will have to try. This year and last year lucky enough to have a teacher living nr a supermarket selling fish who managed to procure herring with some difficulty. Our nearest supermarket selling fish is 20+ miles away and no fishmongers nearby. Will be saving thesmellyalleyfishcompany.co.uk/ and http://www.samples-for-schools.co.uk/store/ to my favorites bar:)