Sad/bad news

It appears George died from peritonitis. Not a pleasant way to go at all. No idea of the cause yet but I would not be surprised to find it was something induced by stress.
At the moment, there is no plan to stream the funeral. His mother is very elderly and, as you can imagine, deeply upset. The family feels it would be too intrusive. I will let you know if that changes.
In the meantime, if anyone wishes to pass their commiserations to the family please send me a PM and I will pass you his sister's email address.

Nick Mitchener

COMMITTEE
Thank you for posting and I'm very sorry for your loss Mike, I know you were close. I didn't realise we were the same age I always thought of him as much younger, still no age though. As you say, no job is worth that stress.

Thanks for posting this.

It's too easy for us all to become just names or avatars on a screen, it's so sad that it's taken this for us to see the sweet looking man with the cheeky grin behind the screen persona, that could, let's face it, be a bit of a wind up! :) ;)
Lovely tributes & such a loss to his family & tech community.

RIP George.

Thanks for posting this.

It's too easy for us all to become just names or avatars on a screen, it's so sad that it's taken this for us to see the sweet looking man with the cheeky grin behind the screen persona, that could, let's face it, be a bit of a wind up! :) ;)
Lovely tributes & such a loss to his family & tech community.
I think you've hit the nail on the head @Jaytee we all build up our own image of people we see via avatars etc. it was a real shock when first seeing the post, I can't count how many of tips I used from George, and more so the banter about God's own country being in Yorkshire!

Sharon Elsdon

COMMITTEE
I just was having a look in different parts of Preproom and noticed this news.
What a loss for George's family and friends.
He was such a fountain of knowledge and helped so many of us. Thank you for posting Mike and allowing us to put a face to the avatar.

Thanks, everyone. Just bracing myself for the funeral later today. Please contribute something to the tribute page listed above. I can't easily copy the stuff from here and I know it will bring solace of some kind to his family to know he was known so well.

Thanks, everyone. Just bracing myself for the funeral later today. Please contribute something to the tribute page listed above. I can't easily copy the stuff from here and I know it will bring solace of some kind to his family to know he was known so well.
Thinking of you. Hope he gets a good send off.

@prepAdmin might have some behind-the-scenes way to copy / download the contents of the thread for you ?

I have just picked up this thread, devastated to hear. Condolences to you Mike, and how dreadful for his poor Mum. RIP George x

I have just picked this thread.
I am so sorry to hear about George.
Please pass my condolences to his family.
Sorry for your loss Mike.