Ripple tank surfactant stuff

karen b

COMMITTEE
Our Frederiksen brand ripple tank has a small bottle of surfactant solution that I dribble around the edge of the tank before putting any water in. We have nearly run out and I have been trying to find a recipe to make some more.

I have definitely made it in the past, but didn’t write down what I did. I think the previous senior tech had the recipe in her head. Any ideas anyone?

CovTech

Lvl 37 Alchemist
COMMITTEE
Surfactant is just a solution that plays with the surface tensions
Washing up liquid is a surfactant

In theory , a few two drops of washing-up liquid/ any surfactant to the water might be helpful to achieve a complete covering of the objects, for instance, when using a perspex plate to show refraction.

In practise, not a massive difference if not used at all , at least for me.

But if you still need it, as CovTech suggested washing up liquid is a good alternative.

karen b

COMMITTEE
This is not just washing up liquid. It is the consistency of water and is probably water with “something” in it. The something might just be the smallest amount of washing up liquid, but I wondered if it was some other kind and what the ratio of water to it is.

I put it all around the edge of the ripple tank where the foam surround meets the glass. I wouldn’t want to coat the whole thing in Fairy liquid

This is not just washing up liquid. It is the consistency of water and is probably water with “something” in it. The something might just be the smallest amount of washing up liquid, but I wondered if it was some other kind and what the ratio of water to it is.

I put it all around the edge of the ripple tank where the foam surround meets the glass. I wouldn’t want to coat the whole thing in Fairy liquid
If you put 1 or 2 drops of washing up liquid ON the foam, and don't shake the tank like a maraca this will slowly dissolve in the water and you won't coat the whole thing in Fairy liquid.

teepol?