Ripple Tank Recommendations

Our ripple tank is terrible :( We're expecting some serious leftover budget this year so what ripple tanks do people like?

It doesn't need to be too flashy as it's only for one GCSE prac but some decent visible waves would be good!

Our ripple tank is terrible :( We're expecting some serious leftover budget this year so what ripple tanks do people like?

It doesn't need to be too flashy as it's only for one GCSE prac but some decent visible waves would be good!
Ask your local college, they might have a spare one. I got one from my local college a couple of years ago.

We bought these in 2014 and they've lasted longer than the company we bought them from at the time:

To be honest, nearly every ripple tank seems to be a nightmare until you get the hang of the set up.
We thought these were a waste of money initially but now that we know where the sweet spot is, they're good.

Here's how refraction looks on ours.
refraction 1.jpg

Edit to add, I see that Philip Harris and Breckland also do this model, at different prices, don't forget to shop around and ask for a discount! :)

clairelucas

COMMITTEE
When we had to get a new one, we ordered a cheap one, but it was so flimsy we sent it back. We now have frederiksen one, which is seriously cool, slightly fiddly to set up, but does the job well.

1616063021522.png

If I had my time again i'd also consider getting small individual ones I've seen on this site, but don't know how easy for kids to use etc.

If you click on the twitter link in the first post, we have the tank in the second photo down (on legs with the red LED display of frequency)
As said, they are all a bit of a bugger to set up, depth is critical, I use one of the perspex shapes, fill the tank above the perspex, then drain it until the perspex is just submerged...
We used to have a "tank" made out of a pyrex pie dish. .. ..

We've got the pasco one; the old version where the strobe and dipper are controlled separately. It's a bit fiddly, but works well once you've sorted it out. The newer model has the strobe and dipper linked, so I assume it's much easier to freeze the motion.

Thank you everyone! I think anyone of these would be an upgrade to ours. It's suffered from a lot of missing parts, the teachers have said they've never seen it with a lamp...

We bought one of these desk top ones, can be used with a visualizer.

Not used much yet (lockdown) and we only use a ripple tank for the edexcel gcse required practical (a demo)

We use OHP versions, where they're are from, I don't know, but they work quite well. We also have some desk top ones, project down onto the desk.