Returning to "Normality"

Hi All,

I'd like to know your thoughts regarding bubbles mixing from the 21st June.
As many of you have been washing, sterilising, quarantining, etc. I'm just worried that all the hard work will be undone. Yes, I know we have the vaccine and the rates are dropping, but the thought of things going back to pre-Covid worries me. Or am I just worrying for the sake of worrying?
Wait and see what Cleapss say and follow guidelines.

I'm just longing for the day we can go back to lab sets of goggles lol. That will be my 'return to normal'. *gazes wistfully into the middle distance*

Sick to the back teeth of p***ing about with massive bowls of Milton. As if I didn't have enough to be getting on with on practical-heavy days. :laughing:

CovTech

Lvl 37 Alchemist
COMMITTEE
I'm just longing for the day we can go back to lab sets of goggles lol. That will be my 'return to normal'. *gazes wistfully into the middle distance*

Sick to the back teeth of p***ing about with massive bowls of Milton. As if I didn't have enough to be getting on with on practical-heavy days. :laughing:
the miltoning I can deal with
It's the 15 individual trays of equipment sets that's doing my head

So much time wasted and space used inefficiently when they're barely distancing anyway

karen b

COMMITTEE

So much time wasted and space used inefficiently when they're barely distancing anyway

We haven’t bothered doing individual sets of anything. Just quarantining between the year group bubbles

We're not doing 15 individual trays (shhh!). 6 trays, one per bench-island to minimise walking round the room. As you say, any more than that is just pointless when you see them hanging round each others necks at break and lunch.

CovTech

Lvl 37 Alchemist
COMMITTEE
We're not doing 15 individual trays (shhh!). 6 trays, one per bench-island to minimise walking round the room. As you say, any more than that is just pointless when you see them hanging round each others necks at break and lunch.
Ahh we've done it in what I call a CMA* protocol
That way if the year groups/other subjects/SLT supervisors let them play silly buggers and the school had had cases shoot through the roof we can at least say "we did it all properly so look somewhere else for the blame, kay thanks bye"

*cover my arse

I'm beginning to feel more like a skivvy than a tech. All practicals in 16 trays all spaced out only to watch the pupils not socially distanced, sharing between groups etc. I then go in at end of lesson & collect said trays! All this is making each practical prep at least twice as long. I'm sure the teachers are getting too used to this set up & will forget to get students to tidy up when eventually (if ever) we are back to normal. I'm a lone tech & this week I have 10 required pracs to get ready, 4 lots of pondweed & other stuff in between. I hope CLEAPSS change their guidelines soon but with the new variant I'm not hopeful!! I'm pretty sure I can smell chlorine on everything I wear even after it has been washed!!!

Our teachers really like the individual kits we've been doing so it looks like they'll be staying post-covid. We have said to them that this will mean the number of practicals they do will need to be cut down because of the extra time it takes to prep this way. The teachers are finding that the class are better behaved and they're able to spend more time doing the actual practical rather than faffing about with equipment.
We often only do 10 or 12 sets and have them work in three's to make prepping a bit more manageable.

Our teachers really like the individual kits we've been doing so it looks like they'll be staying post-covid. We have said to them that this will mean the number of practicals they do will need to be cut down because of the extra time it takes to prep this way. The teachers are finding that the class are better behaved and they're able to spend more time doing the actual practical rather than faffing about with equipment.
We often only do 10 or 12 sets and have them work in three's to make prepping a bit more manageable.
Same. It has worked pretty well this year, mainly because we have cut right back on the number of practicals we run.

Same here unfortunately but it does take so much longer, I'm praying for a return to normal.

clairelucas

COMMITTEE
Shrugs
S'wot the CLEAPSS guide said to do so it's what we did
I think it only says that the groups, pairs, class are to be managed, eg by collecting their equipment in an orderly, spaced manner. We haven't been allocating individual sets, though may make it that there are trays of sets per bench to minimise movement, and then only if easy to do. All in same bubble, so strict about no movement of uncleaned equipment between bubbles/year group.

Irene

Irene
How many practicals are you able to prep/day?

How many practicals are you able to prep/day?

I think we can manage two or three practicals each so maybe 6-9 as a department, but it can be more and it can be less. It will obviously depend on which practical it is, how many sets we're doing and how busy we are with other things though.
We each prep our own subjects here so I only do the physics lessons. This week I've not actually managed a single one yet as I've spent all my time sorting out paperwork for the year 11s. Some practicals can take a whole day to prep as the equipment needs testing and/or setting up.
The number we can prep in a day is a lot less than the teachers would like to order so we have told teachers they need to decide whether they want more practicals or whether they want them prepped as kits. If we are doing kits we cannot manage high numbers of practicals.