returning to labs 21st June

My school have take the decision to return to there normal teaching rooms from the 21st of June,
with the intention of doing some lower school science practicals ie cooling curves, chromatogrpahy ,filtration etc..
what other protocols should we follow or is it just as cleapps advise?
thoughts welcome

many thanks

I would have thought your school (H&S person) and department should be putting together a RA and then use that with CLEAPSS GL343 to see what you can do. Good luck! Will depend on your layout and equipment.

My school have take the decision to return to there normal teaching rooms from the 21st of June,
with the intention of doing some lower school science practicals ie cooling curves, chromatogrpahy ,filtration etc..
thoughts welcome

many thanks
It's against dfe advice.

Please keep your current protective measures in place until there is a further announcement on Step 4 of the roadmap. These measures in education settings will remain in place to help reduce transmission of the virus.

You would need to track and trace any cases and follow the other guidance for cleaning between bubbles etc plus cleapss GL343.

Last edited:
My school has gone back to normal teaching rooms since half term, because the teachers were fed up of moving around :rolleyes: . They're expecting pretty much a full schedule of practicals and I'm having to fight for the fact that we still have to quarantine / sanitise everything, it's ridiculous.

We're heading that way. Year 9s allowed in labs as year 11 have gone, also year 8s if stuff is too heavy to move up and down flights of stairs - which will become everything as the scientists want 'their' labs back (I now have a science teacher asking for food tests including iodine solution and Sudan III in ethanol in a newly carpeted year 7 classroom). :(

thoughts welcome

many thanks
We have been doing full size practicals and required practicals all through since lockdown. We dishwash goggles and then sterilise them in x10 strength milton solution. All other equipment is labelled and put into quarantine with three clear days in between ie. items used on Monday will be out of quarantine on Friday. Occasionally we use sterilising wipes to clean equipment such as a kettle if we are in desperate need of it. We have very little space to work in with all the quarantine stuff. As far as delivering equipment to rooms, we have to time it for when the pupils are out of the way as not to cross bubbles. Sometimes we cannot collect things at the end of lessons because there is no time. We are a very big department. Good luck with everything, keep yourself safe and follow cleapss to the rule!

As much as it is tiring for school staff of all types to manage the extra COVID restrictions, we are at a point where the national timeframe has been pushed back. The idea that for some reason this is an irrelevant change and schools can still go back to "normal" on 21st seems at best misguided to me, particularly now we are so near the end of the academic year. Let's just hope that those places planning to change back on 21st now revise this before they get there.

We've been in science labs the whole way through doing most practicals as usual. We're in year group bubbles so most equipment doesn't need quarantining or sanitising. It gets 72 hours quarantine before it can be used by another year group though. Safety glasses is the main thing that trips us up as they do need 72 hours and we've only got 6 sets available.
We don't do any practicals that require breathing or blowing through a straw, etc and we don't do any practicals that require bunsen burners. The teachers have agreed that its not worth the risk as they don't want to be getting right into a class group if someone catches their blazer on fire or burns themselves.
We have changed the way we prep now though as I've already mentioned before elsewhere on the forum. We now prep practicals in 10 sets of equipment in a haribo tub or tray and the set contain everything a group needs. That means students work in trio's rather than pair's and it takes longer to prep, but its much easier for the teachers to manage in the classroom.
Otherwise we just follow GL343 and our own school policies of having seating plans, cleaning desks at the end of the lesson, staff stay 2m away, etc.

Our teachers never moved from their labs, and its been practicals as usual (apart from ones which aren't recommended). Only difference is everything is quarantined/sterilised as per Cleapss guidelines, students are in 'bubbles,' and we have 'sneeze' screens.

labsleuth

COMMITTEE
Our teachers never moved from their labs, and its been practicals as usual (apart from ones which aren't recommended). Only difference is everything is quarantined/sterilised as per Cleapss guidelines, students are in 'bubbles,' and we have 'sneeze' screens.
Pretty much the same, although the students all have their own safety glasses, which makes things much easier.

Reactions: TDM

CovTech

Lvl 37 Alchemist
COMMITTEE
You would need to track and trace any cases and follow the other guidance for cleaning between bubbles etc plus cleapss GL343.
This is the only reason this guidance exists to be honest

Track and trace would be a total nightmare otherwise - they couldn't care a toss about anything else

clairelucas

COMMITTEE
We have been doing full size practicals and required practicals all through since lockdown. We dishwash goggles and then sterilise them in x10 strength milton solution. All other equipment is labelled and put into quarantine with three clear days in between ie. items used on Monday will be out of quarantine on Friday. Occasionally we use sterilising wipes to clean equipment such as a kettle if we are in desperate need of it. We have very little space to work in with all the quarantine stuff. As far as delivering equipment to rooms, we have to time it for when the pupils are out of the way as not to cross bubbles. Sometimes we cannot collect things at the end of lessons because there is no time. We are a very big department. Good luck with everything, keep yourself safe and follow cleapss to the rule!
Ditto..

karen b

COMMITTEE
We have also been doing full practicals. We quarantine equipment between year group bubbles as per CLEAPSS guidelines. On the whole year groups are allocated specific labs and teachers move around. The students are supposed to sanitise the stools and benches between classes, but I think the novelty has worn off. If we do have to slot in a different year group because a lab works better for a certain practical then we do an extra clean.