Rescue dog

I know it's way off topic but I got a rescue cat (he was aged 8 when I got him) He was really cuddly and friendly purred loudly and came to his name no problem, But he didn't meow for a year and he suddenly played after nearly 2 years. We had tried everything to get him to play but he just ignored all the toys we bought him and the cat nip, Then one day he just grabbed a toy mouse and started to play with it. Trauma must take a long time to settle even once they know they're safe.
My son found four kittens on a building site. No-one wanted the black one, it took me a week to be able to cuddle him and longer to get a purr. But now 'my' Theo is cuddly, talks to me and plays.

Update on rescue dog.
We got her beginning of December & she seems to now realise that she's got a home. Jumps up on sofa, cries for a walk, lets us know in no uncertain terms that she thinks she should have more & more food! Still likes rubbish from the recycle bin, old habits die hard.
Still won't play though. Does an odd thing of running to back door to be let out if we even so much as show her a ball. Not to play though, to dig yet another hole in lawn. We'll work on that in holidays.
I've bought a Prey Bag to fill with something smelly, probably hot dogs to see if we can teach her to retrieve/fetch that way. Judging by the way she chews, she'll probably destroy the bag on first use.
Anyone else had any luck getting a mutt or guinea pig?

My son found four kittens on a building site. No-one wanted the black one, it took me a week to be able to cuddle him and longer to get a purr. But now 'my' Theo is cuddly, talks to me and plays.
Our youngest cat is a rescue via a colleague of my son. He found a box of kittens behind a DIY store. She's beautiful & I'm so glad we had her. A real character & so soft & fluffy, shame she hates being hugged! The noise she makes you would think we were trying to kill her:laughing:

Reactions: kaj
My daughter has a rescue cat and she doesn't like being hugged either.
Our older cat wasn't rescue as such, just runt of the litter that was a leftover & no one wanted, wonky eyes, skinny. She grew to be a lovely looking cat but the children in the house we had her from pulled her about & we couldn't even pick her up for years. She got to about 8 & suddenly changed. All over us from then on, she's 17 now

Colly

Wobbler
Update on rescue dog.
We got her beginning of December & she seems to now realise that she's got a home. Jumps up on sofa, cries for a walk, lets us know in no uncertain terms that she thinks she should have more & more food! Still likes rubbish from the recycle bin, old habits die hard.
Still won't play though. Does an odd thing of running to back door to be let out if we even so much as show her a ball. Not to play though, to dig yet another hole in lawn. We'll work on that in holidays.
I've bought a Prey Bag to fill with something smelly, probably hot dogs to see if we can teach her to retrieve/fetch that way. Judging by the way she chews, she'll probably destroy the bag on first use.
Our dog is 2 yrs old, not a rescue, we have had him since he was a puppy. He plays with his teddy and tug toys but hasn't a clue about fetch! He will show that he wants the ball thrown and will run after it but most of the time continues running past it and shows no more interest or if he does pick it up he never brings it back to us just drops it somewhere random! Balls are just not really his thing!

Got 2 rescue black cats (i just love them) back in November. They were terribly afraid at first hid for a week not even coming out to eat till we went to bed. Slowly coming round Bonnie will come to me now when I call her just about. But Clyde ignores everyone, just gives the merest ear twitch at the sound of his name. Clyde worships my hubby and is permanently glued to his side, Bonnie will now sit on a shoulder, any shoulder in the family and purrs like a train. Both run for cover if the door bell rings and wont be petted by anyone but the family. but they both have bulked up and look like proper cats now. They are 7 years young siblings. Still not had the courage to let them out into the garden as their recall is not what I would want, but hopefully soon.

Got 2 rescue black cats (i just love them) back in November. They were terribly afraid at first hid for a week not even coming out to eat till we went to bed. Slowly coming round Bonnie will come to me now when I call her just about. But Clyde ignores everyone, just gives the merest ear twitch at the sound of his name. Clyde worships my hubby and is permanently glued to his side, Bonnie will now sit on a shoulder, any shoulder in the family and purrs like a train. Both run for cover if the door bell rings and wont be petted by anyone but the family. but they both have bulked up and look like proper cats now. They are 7 years young siblings. Still not had the courage to let them out into the garden as their recall is not what I would want, but hopefully soon.
Our rescue is desperate to go out but there have been so many cat nappings locally we are too worried. I'm trying to put more screening at the top of the fence during easter hols as that seems to keep her in the garden, it doesn't go all the way around at the moment so she can sneak through gaps. Sad, but don't want to be one of the many posts on local Facebook group, " Have you seen..."

Our rescue is desperate to go out but there have been so many cat nappings locally we are too worried. I'm trying to put more screening at the top of the fence during easter hols as that seems to keep her in the garden, it doesn't go all the way around at the moment so she can sneak through gaps. Sad, but don't want to be one of the many posts on local Facebook group, " Have you seen..."
I agree, unfortunately I am a bit of a wildlife buff so I have holes in my fences that go into the woods behind my house for foxes/hedgehogs to pass through the garden which they do regularly. So no keeping them in the garden if they go out and with the woods they would easily get lost. Especially as they don't really come to their names. Tried putting them in harness and walking them round the garden to get used to the smells etc. but they totally freaked out in the harness and wouldn't calm down.

I agree, unfortunately I am a bit of a wildlife buff so I have holes in my fences that go into the woods behind my house for foxes/hedgehogs to pass through the garden which they do regularly. So no keeping them in the garden if they go out and with the woods they would easily get lost. Especially as they don't really come to their names. Tried putting them in harness and walking them round the garden to get used to the smells etc. but they totally freaked out in the harness and wouldn't calm down.
We tried that! She just goes flatter onto the ground than seems possible for an animal. :laughing:
I'm a wildlifer too,we have holes in the fence where the cat & dog can't get but smaller critturs can , behind the shed & dense prickly bushes. The foxes scale a 6ft fence & my shed easily. The younger cat has tried getting on the shed but she has very short legs & can't make big heights or jumps & we put a collar around nearby trees too.

We need an emoji that means "aaawww"

STEMTech

Dave
We have a rescue who was totally shut down. He wouldn't play and was always nervous and miserable. We took him to the vet, who brought her own dog in. Instantly, the tail went up and he wanted to play. The vet said she couldn't believe that she was saying this, but her recommendation was to get another dog. This we did and she was absolutely right. It took a couple of years and tons of patience, but now we have 2 'normal' dogs. He's still jumpy and is easily startled by sudden noises, but is very content and affectionate. You never know...

We have a rescue who was totally shut down. He wouldn't play and was always nervous and miserable. We took him to the vet, who brought her own dog in. Instantly, the tail went up and he wanted to play. The vet said she couldn't believe that she was saying this, but her recommendation was to get another dog. This we did and she was absolutely right. It took a couple of years and tons of patience, but now we have 2 'normal' dogs. He's still jumpy and is easily startled by sudden noises, but is very content and affectionate. You never know...
I asked rescue about this, as they have an online group for behaviour issues after rescue.
But, they said you had to have a rescue for about a year before you would be considered for another dog & that, "...there is no guarantee that you will get another dog & they will like each other so this may not be a good idea...". What irritated me about this response was that the lady ( from the rescue) posting it has 3 rescues from them, all rescued at different times, also regularly posts about how well they all get on & how lovely it is for the dogs to have friends. I understand the waiting for the dog to settle, but there are many, many people on the site & from the rescue that have 2, 3 or more dogs.
I find rescue people can be a tad hypocritical!
My dog does light up when she meets other dogs. I think she misses the doggy company from the streets of Romania & the rescue.
I'm more worried about the expense of another dog, rather than the behaviour tbh.

Anyone on here had a rescue dog?
I collected my pooch on Friday. So early days. But like I have heard a lot of rescue are, she doesn't have a clue what 'play' is.
Any tips on getting them to engage?
Not fussed about treats so that makes it difficult incentivewise. Looked at me like a loony when I threw a ball for her. I was fetching quite well though! :laughing:
She 'mouths' our arms a lot. Responds to 'No' & stops when she does that.
We tried looking up phrases in Romanian in case she had been taught anything at all. Nope.
Like I say, early days, but tips welcome.
Well done for getting a rescue dog. So many folk pay thousands of pounds for a pedigree without a care for all the dogs left behind.

Well done for getting a rescue dog. So many folk pay thousands of pounds for a pedigree without a care for all the dogs left behind.
Took me 3 years! Most rescues either didn't even acknowledge my applications or said an emphatic NO.
I think a lot more people would get rescue if they weren't so rigid with their rules. A lot refuse you if you have a cat or don't have a front gate.
A friends daughter that works for Battersea, said that their rules are like it because they have so many dogs returned. I said, then surely, if you are still getting dogs returned there is something wrong with your rules & vetting process!

Update on rescue dog.
Our dog was 8 when we got her from The Dogs Trust. We were told she didn't play, didn't like footballs or balloons or crowds. Well from the beginning footballs/balloons never bothered her, she loved being the centre of attention in a crowd, but it wasn't until we got two pups that she began to play. She now regularly joins in with them barking and chasing, rolling them over. We wondered if she didn't play because she didn't know how, and it too two pups to show her. Still won't go after a ball or a stick though!

Our dog was 8 when we got her from The Dogs Trust. We were told she didn't play, didn't like footballs or balloons or crowds. Well from the beginning footballs/balloons never bothered her, she loved being the centre of attention in a crowd, but it wasn't until we got two pups that she began to play. She now regularly joins in with them barking and chasing, rolling them over. We wondered if she didn't play because she didn't know how, and it too two pups to show her. Still won't go after a ball or a stick though!
Awwww, just shows that maybe the rescue don't see their true nature,as they are in an unnatural environment.
When I mention getting another dog my sons say, not more animals! :)
Kudos to you taking on an oldie. I thought about it, but I was (am) so heartbroken when my last dog died & after having lost some family members too in recent years , I just couldn't face it. I'd like a pup to go with this one, rescue though, I don't think my cats could stand getting another grown dog.

Reactions: kaj