Rescue dog

Honestly, I did my research. The rescue is British & work closely with Battersea here in Uk & actually have several kennels & branches here too.
All their rescues are very well documented, all their dogs registered with DEFRA, They are in regular contact & have given loads of advice but I thought someone on here may have some first hand tips. Not criticism :(
Maybe Vets & rescues here should look into their processes that mean no one can have a dog unless they are retired, unemployed or well off!
We have been refused for: living in town (?!), because I work, even though someone is at home all day, having cats, not having a porch on front of house, not having a front gate, and so on. My HoD had similar issues.
Even though I have had 2 dogs in the past. One with a severe illness that affected behaviour which we managed very well so that a dog who was given only 2 years to live, lived over 8 years very happily & healthily.
I know a rehoming officer from a rescue here & she said she would let me have dog in a heartbeat but their rules mean that she can't, they also freely admit that despite all their checks, they have dogs returned all the time.
Hi - not criticising, just got a bit of info on the conversation thread that may help people look hard into the organisation they choose if they do want to adopt a dog from outside the UK. Cousin has been a vet for 30 years so she does know her stuff. You've obviously done your homework, good luck with it all.

Hi - not criticising, just got a bit of info on the conversation thread that may help people look hard into the organisation they choose if they do want to adopt a dog from outside the UK. Cousin has been a vet for 30 years so she does know her stuff. You've obviously done your homework, good luck with it all.
Cheers. No probs, I am also used to the 'collie brigade' ( !) who say you shouldn't have a collie if you live in town.
They have obviously never met a lazy collie! I have met a few couch potato collies who look at you as though to say, 'Really? Another damn walk, no thanks, you can go if you like, off you trot'! :laughing:
One of my old collies used to drag on lead to go back home. Perfectly healthy just hated the cold. She's have been rubbish on a farm!
But honestly the whole rescue thing in this country needs looking at ( in a different way of course!) as despite their numerous checks, dogs still go to people who haven't a clue & those who are experienced dog owners aren't 'allowed' to have them. Ok if you work long hrs etc I get it, but if you work 5 hrs, nearby, can go home for lunch & have a cat, it doesn't make you a puppy eating monster. ( I nearly said the Baby eating Bishop of Bath & Wells, Blackadder reference)
My local vet is all for rescues from abroad! Hey ho. Bit like Covid experts, all got different experiences & opinions.

I've got a springer spaniel who is obsessed with tennis balls and can find them anywhere, but is not interested in any other playing. He'll happily come and sit with me on the sofa, but indoors he usually prefers to just be on his own somewhere. When we're out though he's completely hyper though and will run for hours. I have no chance of keeping up and he also has selective hearing so sometimes I'm just an idiot standing in a field shouting to myself! :laughing:
Some dogs just have no interest in playing or as can be common with rescues they don't know how to play as they've never had the chance to before. Let the dog get settled in and leave some toys around for them to see if anything piques their interest. If something does try to engage with that.
Getting a rescue is great though. I would loved to have been able to do that, but as I work and lived in a town at the time I kept getting turned down. In the end I got Gizmo as a puppy from family friends.

I've got a springer spaniel who is obsessed with tennis balls and can find them anywhere, but is not interested in any other playing. He'll happily come and sit with me on the sofa, but indoors he usually prefers to just be on his own somewhere. When we're out though he's completely hyper though and will run for hours. I have no chance of keeping up and he also has selective hearing so sometimes I'm just an idiot standing in a field shouting to myself! :laughing:
Some dogs just have no interest in playing or as can be common with rescues they don't know how to play as they've never had the chance to before. Let the dog get settled in and leave some toys around for them to see if anything piques their interest. If something does try to engage with that.
Getting a rescue is great though. I would loved to have been able to do that, but as I work and lived in a town at the time I kept getting turned down. In the end I got Gizmo as a puppy from family friends.
Awwww, our old Collie ( I still miss her like crazy after 5 years) was OCD with tennis balls. She had to drop & bounce it 3 times before she brought it back, & again when giving it to you.
I've put all the toys in the dogs bed so she gets used to having them around.
As I said above, I went to rescue abroad as was turned down by so many rescues, the ones that said yes have such long waiting lists I have been waiting for couple of years already.
When you say London they assume we are inner city, a quick look on google maps would show I am 500m from Epping forest, a lake & a large park. Slightly further & we have open plains. a 5 minute drive is more forest, open plains & lakes. we are lucky.
My niece who lives in the country, said we actually have more open walking space than they do, as theirs is mainly farmland or private land.

Awwww, our old Collie ( I still miss her like crazy after 5 years) was OCD with tennis balls. She had to drop & bounce it 3 times before she brought it back, & again when giving it to you.
I've put all the toys in the dogs bed so she gets used to having them around.
As I said above, I went to rescue abroad as was turned down by so many rescues, the ones that said yes have such long waiting lists I have been waiting for couple of years already.
When you say London they assume we are inner city, a quick look on google maps would show I am 500m from Epping forest, a lake & a large park. Slightly further & we have open plains. a 5 minute drive is more forest, open plains & lakes. we are lucky.
My niece who lives in the country, said we actually have more open walking space than they do, as theirs is mainly farmland or private land.

Its weird how they judge things, isn't it. I'm north of the county so although I live on the edge of a town and close to Stansted Airport, I'm 5 minutes from Hatfield Forest and this area is covered in open land and footpaths for walking.

You can use a clicker instead of treats.
Don't like clicker. Tried it with my first dog & it drove me crazy, my brain hates repetitive or some odd noises.
Any repetitive noise & I want to rip someone's head off! I sometimes have to run to remote & switch TV off. :rolleyes:

Actually, only got her last Friday & responding now to sit, down, stay, no, back , bed.
It's why I love a clever dog. She was baffled, but it seemed to click with her yesterday.
Give her time & it's on to left & right.
My last dog responded to that after we did shake left paw, shake right paw, as a puppy., then progressed to sending her to right in garden, then left. Can only shake right paw with this one as I don't want to make her put weight on duff leg. But we'll get there.
Maybe with the sheepdog puppy method with a broom!

Rescue homes in this area are extremely rigid with their rules and make no allowances for experience dog owners willing to take on a rescue dog, we were turned down as I worked more than 4 hours although i could go home at dinner. even willing to rehome the 2 dogs kennelled together but no luck, wouldn't budge. Always had cats and dogs, so they missed out on 2 dogs getting a loving home.
Have no animals now but miss them and hope to rectify this when I retire. Good luck, as long as you give her lots of love and food, she is a thousand times better off than before and will return that love eventually.

Don't like clicker. Tried it with my first dog & it drove me crazy, my brain hates repetitive or some odd noises.
Any repetitive noise & I want to rip someone's head off! I sometimes have to run to remote & switch TV off. :rolleyes:

Actually, only got her last Friday & responding now to sit, down, stay, no, back , bed.
It's why I love a clever dog. She was baffled, but it seemed to click with her yesterday.
Give her time & it's on to left & right.
My last dog responded to that after we did shake left paw, shake right paw, as a puppy., then progressed to sending her to right in garden, then left. Can only shake right paw with this one as I don't want to make her put weight on duff leg. But we'll get there.
Maybe with the sheepdog puppy method with a broom!
You will get there, with consistency and patience :)
I'm sure praise and gentle encouragement will work instead of treats/clicker!

Rescue homes in this area are extremely rigid with their rules and make no allowances for experience dog owners willing to take on a rescue dog, we were turned down as I worked more than 4 hours although i could go home at dinner. even willing to rehome the 2 dogs kennelled together but no luck, wouldn't budge. Always had cats and dogs, so they missed out on 2 dogs getting a loving home.
Have no animals now but miss them and hope to rectify this when I retire. Good luck, as long as you give her lots of love and food, she is a thousand times better off than before and will return that love eventually.
What a shame! What's odd is that people I know that are vets or work at rescues, also have dogs & leave them all day, longer hours than you or I would! Go figure.
I was turned down for a cat too because I work. A cat! My cats barely know I exist most of the time. The old one just eats, poops & sleeps.

Techitude

COMMITTEE
What a shame! What's odd is that people I know that are vets or work at rescues, also have dogs & leave them all day, longer hours than you or I would! Go figure.
I was turned down for a cat too because I work. A cat! My cats barely know I exist most of the time. The old one just eats, poops & sleeps.

I offered a home to a group of 3 guinea pigs At the RSPCA that they wanted to go together so had had in for quite a while obviously. I could offer the bottom of my bird aviary, 8ft x5ft indoor heated with access to 10ft x 4ft outdoor area. I also used tobreed and show guinea pigs so know what i'm doing. Home checker came, saw the set up and loved it, couldn't have been happier but when she sent her report to the centre they phoned and said "Oh, we didn't realise the guinea pigs and birds would be together, sorry we won't rehome them to you incase they get pooped on" :rolleyes::confused:
I was so cross, I already had two guinea pigs living in there, had been for 2 years, and they were thriving, had plenty of upside down apple boxes to hide under, and alas nary a poop on either of them!
I ended up getting two more from the classified ads (unwanted pets) but I would rather have rehomed a rescue, those poor piggies missed out on a lovely home :(

I offered a home to a group of 3 guinea pigs At the RSPCA that they wanted to go together so had had in for quite a while obviously. I could offer the bottom of my bird aviary, 8ft x5ft indoor heated with access to 10ft x 4ft outdoor area. I also used tobreed and show guinea pigs so know what i'm doing. Home checker came, saw the set up and loved it, couldn't have been happier but when she sent her report to the centre they phoned and said "Oh, we didn't realise the guinea pigs and birds would be together, sorry we won't rehome them to you incase they get pooped on" :rolleyes::confused:
I was so cross, I already had two guinea pigs living in there, had been for 2 years, and they were thriving, had plenty of upside down apple boxes to hide under, and alas nary a poop on either of them!
I ended up getting two more from the classified ads (unwanted pets) but I would rather have rehomed a rescue, those poor piggies missed out on a lovely home :(
Crazy! The space you had to offer is larger than most guinea pigs homes I have seen! Most end up living in rabbit hutches.
What a shame the little piggies lost a nice home :( Sounds lovely.
One of our local boarding kennels has the cat kennels surrounding an aviary to keep cats amused. Not sure what birds think. Maybe poking their tongues out at cats :laughing:
Actually I nearly missed out even with this rescue as I have an extension & the home visitor said a dog could get stuck down the side.
The gap is 4 inches, with some mesh fencing fitted into space in case cat gets stuck. I was after a medium to large dog. It would have to be thinner than a whippet to get down there!
She also said I needed to have a gate fitted in front garden and, as I was near forest, should put in rear access. I pointed out I would be walking through the gardens of people at the back! :rolleyes: She then asked how I intended to get to forest & when I said down the road you would think I had suggested dropping dog off on the M25. It's 500m max.
The rescue agreed she was overstepping her mark & being a teensy bit silly thank goodness.
Side note: she had to comment on 'condition of house'. She said "hmmm, shall we say fair?" I had to laugh, I said, "Cheek! Fair is only a step up from squalor!"
Maybe the dog will be offended that everything doesn't match in my house.

I'd keep talking to the dog. I'm dog free at the moment so I stroke other peoples dogs. Its easy to tell which ones are talked to. Which ones are loved and petted. Which ones are trophy dogs etc.. I think the talking and looking into the eyes (once you've established you're not a threat) gets through to bond you with the dog. Then the rest follows. Wherever the dogs come from they just need a bit of love and affection. Make sure they rule the roost. You can always get the hair off the sofa. You'll never regret the time sharing cuddles with your dog.

Spoke to a blind man, years ago and h is dog. He said he was the dogs second "job". The previous owner had not a clue and kept the dog in a cupboard when not in use, like hoover.

I'd keep talking to the dog. I'm dog free at the moment so I stroke other peoples dogs. Its easy to tell which ones are talked to. Which ones are loved and petted. Which ones are trophy dogs etc.. I think the talking and looking into the eyes (once you've established you're not a threat) gets through to bond you with the dog. Then the rest follows. Wherever the dogs come from they just need a bit of love and affection. Make sure they rule the roost. You can always get the hair off the sofa. You'll never regret the time sharing cuddles with your dog.
I did this too. I asked people if I could stroke their dog every time i went for a walk. Bit like when I say, 'oh hello gorgeous' & the owners (companion?!) says ' are you referring to me?!' :laughing:

I pet and talk to any dog I meet, partly because I love dogs and partly because it makes my dog so jealous! When he gets jealous he gets all cuddly and behaves better which is amazing for a hyperactive springer spaniel! :laughing:

I know it's way off topic but I got a rescue cat (he was aged 8 when I got him) He was really cuddly and friendly purred loudly and came to his name no problem, But he didn't meow for a year and he suddenly played after nearly 2 years. We had tried everything to get him to play but he just ignored all the toys we bought him and the cat nip, Then one day he just grabbed a toy mouse and started to play with it. Trauma must take a long time to settle even once they know they're safe.

Reactions: kaj
We've always had rescue dogs.
At the minute we have 'Shadow' a mongrel from the Dogs Trust.
We were told 'she doesn't play.'
Well we've recently acquired two Chihuahua/Westie pups - daughters dog was caught during lockdown - apparently she wasn't locked down enough. To see this 13 year old dog play with these pups is amazing.