AQA exam Board Required Practical Field Investigation

I've not done a compare and contrast, but there are some free smartphone light meter apps which measure lux. Might be worth a look if students have their phones on them.

karen b

COMMITTEE
We bought Precision Gold Lux and Light meter. I don’t know where the first couple came from but I bought more when the electronics store whose name I have totally forgotten closed down the other year.

We bought Precision Gold Lux and Light meter. I don’t know where the first couple came from but I bought more when the electronics store whose name I have totally forgotten closed down the other year.
Maplins, I have one of those but the battery has gone and it's a weird size.

CovTech

Lvl 37 Alchemist
COMMITTEE
We've just told the students to download one on their phones
It's one of the few times they're allowed them out in lessons

Oops, no one has ever asked for a light meter with that practical here :/
it's just for the option 2

2. Investigating the effect of a factor on plant distribution using a transect line
A transect line from a tree to an open area can be used to record the change in the number of a particular species as light intensity changes. Students can record either percentage grass cover or the number of daisies in each quadrat. Students need to lay out a tape measure in a straight line so that a quadrat can be placed at regular intervals. In this method, students should use a light meter to measure the light intensity at each quadrat. This will allow students to plot a graph of distribution against light intensity. You will need to demonstrate how to use a light meter. You could access a light meter via a phone app

karen b

COMMITTEE
Maplins, I have one of those but the battery has gone and it's a weird size.

Marlins! That’s the one

Yes the battery is a weird size. There seems to be two slightly different sizes, but with the same voltage output. The battery holder isn’t sprung loaded so I ended up putting a piece of copper shim in to hold the slightly smaller cell I had purchased.

Peter Sigsworth

COMMITTEE
Is that the multi range Light level sensor ? We have Light level sensor 1- 1000 Lux which is not what we need !
Most are the multi range but we have a couple of old ones, one with your range (which isn't high enough) and one with a much higher range 10,000 + lux which works fine.