Reasons to be cheerful part 2

I've been relabelling my bottles over time too.

The last straw for me came when the HoD sprung a last-minute move-up day flame test extravaganza for the whole department and I had to meticulously label 10 squirty bottles and 50-60 some universal bottles with the name, hazard severity, hazard symbols... which were all separate stickers and all needed to be taped over. It took the best part of 2 days to print, cut, wash, dry and stick, and though I knew it wasn't the most efficient process, it worked OK until that. So I put my foot down and insisted we invest in a colour label printer so I could just design them myself to include all the details on a single sticker. Looks much more professional, and is generally more informative (I include Hazcard, Ar unless it's an aqueous solution, H-code info and substances to avoid mixing with where applicable.)

Here's a sample of my spirit burners, one with the old labels, one with the one I designed.
Very nice! What labeller did you get? I'm sticking paper labels on with tape, at them moment (makes them easier to remove than some of the stickies), as it's quick and cheap, but does mean galloping (OK, trotting) down to the main colour printer now and again. This is why it's being fitted in around other tasks.
 
Hey all. If you were working from home in lockdown you can go on to Gov. co.uk and claim money back to cover heating and expenses for home working. Search 'working at home tax relief' , you need to fill in a few details and then they send you a cheque in the post. Just filled mine in....watch this space:greed:
My son has just done it. Hopefully gets it backdated. Money going into Dog fund :)
 
Very nice! What labeller did you get? I'm sticking paper labels on with tape, at them moment (makes them easier to remove than some of the stickies), as it's quick and cheap, but does mean galloping (OK, trotting) down to the main colour printer now and again. This is why it's being fitted in around other tasks.
That was my initial approach too, before I got my first label printer. I hated wasting paper though, so I found I couldn't print them immediately as I wanted to fill a page to save on the printing budget, despite only needing one or two labels each time. So it was a waiting game where I rarely ever printed the labels when I really needed them.

Initially I went to a Dymo Rhino 4200 because it supposedly had some hazard symbols in its memory banks.

Turns out that it was woefully inadequate.

After the aforementioned Flame Test Controversy, I had them buy me a Brother VC-500W Colour Label Printer. I developed the basic layout myself, and have gradually tweaked it. The printer rolls are a little pricey, but they last a while and the fact that I can just print off a label quickly as and when I need it is great. Each time I come to a new chemical, I open a template, edit and save the new layout for that specific chemical, and they're all listed in Hazcard number order. I'm gradually filling in the missing gaps as I work through my stores.

I still have to put some selotape over them though. If certain substances get on them the label paper reacts kind of like an indicator. But it's a lot faster than my older approaches, and each new saved template will only make it faster whenever I should need a specific label again in the future.
 
I use Avery for printing labels on our printer. They have a library of warning signs and the site is really easy to use, I save them as templates to my computer via label size, so 65's for small bottles and pots, 14's for reagents. I don't use Avery labels though, just cheap YPO ones.
 

Attachments

  • thumbnail_20201022_082003_resized_1.jpg
    thumbnail_20201022_082003_resized_1.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 13
1605603472084.png
I saw a countdown to Christmas holidays calendar on the Technicians FB group so decided to do one for the department. It's amazing how much cheer a £1.50 advent calendar can bring to the department! We all get a chance to open a window finishing with the HoD on "Christmas Holiday Eve":santa:.
 
Me and some year 8s from the gardening club I run planted 30 saplings - silver birch, rowan and wild cherry - from the Woodland Trust Trees for Schools project yesterday. They had a great time planting and felt really happy that they were doing something good for the future. I thought of the trees and the kids in 20 years time and hoped all would be thriving in an improved world from now (I had my fingers crossed!!)
 
Me and some year 8s from the gardening club I run planted 30 saplings - silver birch, rowan and wild cherry - from the Woodland Trust Trees for Schools project yesterday. They had a great time planting and felt really happy that they were doing something good for the future. I thought of the trees and the kids in 20 years time and hoped all would be thriving in an improved world from now (I had my fingers crossed!!)
that honestly brought a tear to my eye. in times like this it feels so fruitless to do anything for the future but this has given me a glimmer of hope
 
Top