Reasons to be cheerful part 2

There should be a process for recording near-misses - not necessarily a "book" per se, but there should be something in one of your policies somewhere....! The recording and discussion of near-misses can be a good tool to help prevent an actual (potentially serious) accident. Good defence if there is an incident if you can show potential problems are flagged up as they arise.... :)
We have a folder for 'near misses' on the preproom shelves. Fortunately it isn't used much.

Seeing this about people being pleased after receiving a "sweetie" from a company with their catalogue, made be chortle with merriment!

I remember in the good old days you got diaries, calendars, wall planners, jotting pads, pens, mugs, technician tool kits, ties, tea towels from these companies.

It wasn't your choice, I hope you have been compensated appropriately. A good job you were old enough to gain from your pension.

I'm counting my pennies for an early 2nd retirement.
Meanwhile I have been told I have an article being published so that's something good.
Thanks - I'm well aware how lucky I've been. The real laugh is that it came weeks before the "government" announced extra funding for technical support in FE.

Being published is a good feeling, especially in peer-reviewed publications.

It's Melbourne Cup day (the race that stops the nation) and we have been making science themed fascinators! We have a circuit, a heart and a caffeine molecule!

Shannon

Shannon
COMMITTEE
I got my first job because they "liked my patient attitude". I'd been asked how I would explain how to help a user find a "lost" file.

It didn't last long :laughing:

By the time I was lone IT tech in a school I had taken to physically leaving the building "to grab a sandwich" - surprisingly it took a whole half-hour to walk round the corner to the sandwich shop.....

yeah I have heard this too. Ex partner was IT tech and the way he was treated was bad.. one thing that got me was he never had Safeguarding training.. which is worrying :/ Amount of times I would say leave the building for lunch was mad

yeah I have heard this too. Ex partner was IT tech and the way he was treated was bad.. one thing that got me was he never had Safeguarding training.. which is worrying :/ Amount of times I would say leave the building for lunch was mad
I didn’t get any safeguarding training in those days. Everyone has to attend them here.

Well....

- Shortlisted for Scie tech award
- Joined a local tech group and just sent my welcome email :D
- The person on here who made my day saying how pleased they are see to see my confidence grow
- Another pay rise
WOW , well done , hope your lot appreciate it , :) . I too have seen a difference since you first started, you now give lots of encouragement to others , keep up the good work !!

Never heard of a near miss book. I did run in to tell HOS as soon as it happened we had a good laugh!
We use an accident form, cross out "Accident" and write "near miss". It's just a way of recording that something went wrong but no harm done this time! It serves to highlight whether procedures need to be changed across the board or is it just "user error". They all go to the H&S bod who keeps a log.

karen b

COMMITTEE
We use an accident form, cross out "Accident" and write "near miss". It's just a way of recording that something went wrong but no harm done this time! It serves to highlight whether procedures need to be changed across the board or is it just "user error". They all go to the H&S bod who keeps a log.
Our health and safety guy sends out fairly regular reminders about the need to report any kind of incident and near misses. More than once he followed up on an accident report to find something similar but without injury had happened beforehand.

Adorable year 8 lad, on his way out of the building this evening: "Miss, I've got a weird question. If I was to get my phone out now, would it get confiscated?"
Me: "I've got a question too. Are you feeling brave enough to try?!"
Cue giggles and small boy *not* getting his phone out...

Just sorted out a problem with the electrical supply to the Physics workshop.
Occasionally the RCBO would trip shutting off the Kettle, Microwave, Toaster and (some would say more importantly) the Network switch (internet, intranet, printers etc)
The problem seems to have been a currant (originating in a fruit scone ) allowing a current (electrical) to flow from the heating element to the metal case.

Our pay rise wasn't implemented in April like it should have been so when we got paid last week we were given the backdated arrears as a lump sum. Obviously the taxman made sure he got his share, but the extra £140 was lovely. That's enabled me to get the main bulk of my Christmas shopping done this week so that whatever happens with lockdown/covid my young nieces will still get nice pressies. :)