Reasons to be cheerful part 2

I was IT tech before this.

Such things as telling them it's an ID 10 T error, layer 8 failure, PEBKAC fault, Issue with the flux capacitor..ah, memories. The bin of "aargh" as well. Hold, bin on head, swear until you feel better, bin down, resume call.

karen b

COMMITTEE
It was my birthday in August. My husband bought me some slippers but they didn’t fit. The replacements arrived this morning. Only two months late!

Ok, we are all down, all getting aggro from various quarters. All moaning, rightly, me included.
Tell us your little things that have made you smile or say 'Awwww'
I just went into a year 7 class to sort out the electric. Overheard 2 year 7's talking about me, "Cooo look, is she a REAL scientist? Miss, is she a real scientist?" Teacher said yes. ( bless her) They all started whispering " Cor! a REAL scientist Look!!" etc.
Ahhhh, if only they stayed like that.
Went back into the prep room with smile.
The little things matter
1603437625154.png

I was IT tech before this.

Such things as telling them it's an ID 10 T error, layer 8 failure, PEBKAC fault, Issue with the flux capacitor..ah, memories. The bin of "aargh" as well. Hold, bin on head, swear until you feel better, bin down, resume call.
I got my first job because they "liked my patient attitude". I'd been asked how I would explain how to help a user find a "lost" file.

It didn't last long :laughing:

By the time I was lone IT tech in a school I had taken to physically leaving the building "to grab a sandwich" - surprisingly it took a whole half-hour to walk round the corner to the sandwich shop.....

Carol Taylor

Footsore
Rocket club on Tuesday we went out to launch our paper rockets and the 3 yr7s were so excited! So innocent! WOW miss!! look how high miss! can we do it again miss!
When I tell my 6 year old daughter about my day she is always sooo excited to hear about the demos and experiments I do. I have started filming myself practicing the demos and showing her the videos we've made for our kids. She is so proud of her mummy. I know many of you struggle in your line of work but I have found my feet. I have a superb team and love coming to work xx
I was like that 12 years ago but the school ethos changed, more kids, more staff but same number of labs, more pressure on highest grades, fewer experiments just for pleasure. The science teachers all have extra roles and rarely meet for a brew and a laugh (used to be daily). Used to be department nights out especially when student teachers ended their placements. All the fun got sucked out long before covid19. I do use my experience to entertain my grandkids though:D

Rocket club on Tuesday we went out to launch our paper rockets and the 3 yr7s were so excited! So innocent! WOW miss!! look how high miss! can we do it again miss!
Ahh memories... A few years ago, a teacher decided to test one of our water rockets after school, "Go on the field, Mind the wind direction" etc.
Teacher launches from the car park.... Rocket goes up.. Rocket comes down.. over busy main road.. I never saw the rocket again..

Teacher just ran in saying he'd shattered a scalpel blade cutting up a piece of lithium. I went in to help him find all the bits of lithium that he'd left scattered over the bench to come fine me!

Teacher just ran in saying he'd shattered a scalpel blade cutting up a piece of lithium. I went in to help him find all the bits of lithium that he'd left scattered over the bench to come fine me!
What a clown - did he not at least smother it with the emergency salt?

Never heard of a near miss book. I did run in to tell HOS as soon as it happened we had a good laugh!
There should be a process for recording near-misses - not necessarily a "book" per se, but there should be something in one of your policies somewhere....! The recording and discussion of near-misses can be a good tool to help prevent an actual (potentially serious) accident. Good defence if there is an incident if you can show potential problems are flagged up as they arise.... :)

I remember we had a student teacher a few years ago (way before the H&S we have today) having his lesson observed where he was showing the properties of white phosphorous to the children which is kept under water as it combusts spontaneously in contact with air (once it dries out).

For some reason he tipped the remains into the bin next to the desk. He continued to speak for a few minutes with nothing happening, then smoke started to emanate from the bin, reacting quickly, he got the CO2 extinguisher and dealt with the fire. He then continued to speak to the children (proud of having dealt with the situation).

He had forgotten that as the CO2 diffused away from the bin, the phosphorus would re-ignite, so he had another go with the extinguisher. This went on two more times until the extinguisher was empty. His next ploy was to pick up the bin and make his way down the corridor to the exit – of course the bin was well alight by then and being plastic, he was dropping molten burning plastic all down the corridor. A lovely trail of burning blobs.

No one was hurt and he went on to be a Head eventually – safest place for him.:oops2:

They're all out today. Just had one run asking for a bag of sugar cos 'the benedict's isn't working'. Just gave it to her. Didn't bother pointing out sucrose isn't a reducing sugar lol. Also the benedict's is fine she just boiled the kettle then let it sit while she was talking for 45mins! Feeling evil today :vampire:

Reactions: kaj
I remember we had a student teacher a few years ago (way before the H&S we have today) having his lesson observed where he was showing the properties of white phosphorous to the children which is kept under water as it combusts spontaneously in contact with air (once it dries out).

For some reason he tipped the remains into the bin next to the desk. He continued to speak for a few minutes with nothing happening, then smoke started to emanate from the bin, reacting quickly, he got the CO2 extinguisher and dealt with the fire. He then continued to speak to the children (proud of having dealt with the situation).

He had forgotten that as the CO2 diffused away from the bin, the phosphorus would re-ignite, so he had another go with the extinguisher. This went on two more times until the extinguisher was empty. His next ploy was to pick up the bin and make his way down the corridor to the exit – of course the bin was well alight by then and being plastic, he was dropping molten burning plastic all down the corridor. A lovely trail of burning blobs.

No one was hurt and he went on to be a Head eventually – safest place for him.:oops2:
Had one years ago flick a bit of phosphorous off the scalpel onto the floor. It landed on his shoe and ignited. We all had a good laugh watching him hop about trying to put it out!

Four days ago I receieved my redundancy payment, my pay in lieu of notice and my holiday pay. It's only the second time I have had a five-figure sum payslip. I will also shortly receive my pension lump sum, another five figure amount. The joy of being fairly (and temporarily) wealthy is tempered somewhat by feelings of loss of status and guilt at leaving colleagues in a dire situation.

Nick Mitchener

COMMITTEE
Four days ago I receieved my redundancy payment, my pay in lieu of notice and my holiday pay. It's only the second time I have had a five-figure sum payslip. I will also shortly receive my pension lump sum, another five figure amount. The joy of being fairly (and temporarily) wealthy is tempered somewhat by feelings of loss of status and guilt at leaving colleagues in a dire situation.
It wasn't your choice, I hope you have been compensated appropriately. A good job you were old enough to gain from your pension.

I'm counting my pennies for an early 2nd retirement.
Meanwhile I have been told I have an article being published so that's something good.