Purchase of Ethanol

Hello,

I am wanting to purchase some Ethanol and the cheapest place I found was Sci Chem for £11.49 for 2.5L Then this came up as I was trying to purchase it:

HMRC Letter of Authorisation showing that we are entitled to receive and use Industrial Denatured Alcohol and that I have provided a copy of this letter to Scientific and Chemical Supplies Limited. ET080: Duty Free

Found this webpage:

I have never seen this before but am wondering how I go about getting one. Do you all use Sci Chem or elsewhere? Does everyone ask for this?

Maddie

Industrial denatured alcohol isn't the same as ethanol. Cheapest bottle of ethanol would be around £30 for 500ml

All schools should have a license to stock a certain quantity of alcohol on the premises.

We have the certificate. It came with a title for the person who is named on it(me). Alcohol Officer ! Still brings a smile to my face.
Check www.hmrc.gov.uk
You may need a cover letter from your head to get the certificate. A limit will be set on how much you get a year. But it easily upped. Just phone them and they never once questioned me. Good luck.

Without a licence all chemical suppliers are limited to 5L per establishment per year

Your certificate can be amended to put your limit up but without one on record the suppliers hands are tied

Industrial denatured alcohol isn't the same as ethanol. Cheapest bottle of ethanol would be around £30 for 500ml
See, I didn't realise that part, the person before me stocked up on Ethanol so in the 2 years, I havent had to buy any. I will do ti now though and sort it out. Thank you

As far as I know the IDA thing is for buying and using more than 5L a year.

So I just buy in 5L at the start of each year as we use just over that but HMRC wont give us a cert for buying more than 5L

STEM1

Dave
That's got me thinking. Haven't seen one here. I will ask around.
Apparently IDA is ethanol with additives that make it taste nasty, or an emetic, or both, so it can't be used as happy juice.
It's all about the duty paid on it.

Sharon Elsdon

COMMITTEE
IDA has 5% methanol added usually to stop it being used as drinkable alcohol.
If you apply you can usually get a license to hold more than 5L, which is all you can hold if you don't have one.
Ours allows 20L which is more than plenty.
Otherwise if you but Ethanol as STEM1 says you'll pay duty.

IDA has 5% methanol added usually to stop it being used as drinkable alcohol.
If you apply you can usually get a license to hold more than 5L, which is all you can hold if you don't have one.
Ours allows 20L which is more than plenty.
Otherwise if you but Ethanol as STEM1 says you'll pay duty.
you will need 150 litres like me with all that handsanitiser. :experiment: