Prescription Safety Specs

CovTech

Lvl 37 Alchemist
COMMITTEE
I went into Specsavers yesterday, picked the frames (JCB) and then they asked for the Corporate eyecare voucher or RA from my employer. I said I was buying as a private customer and would be reimbursed but I needed safety specs suitable for working in a chemistry lab. No problem until they asked me to sign a disclaimer which stated that the eyewear they would be selling me would not protect against droplets and splashes of liquids! Apparently, if I had eyecare vouchers or the RA there would be no need to sign the disclaimer. So I'm back to square 1. School are trying to make this go away by not actually dealing with it.
This sounds like a Job for Union Representative Man!

Has anyone bought safety glasses with varifocal lenses?
Only My HR say they will only pay for the eye test.

Has anyone bought safety glasses with varifocal lenses?
Only My HR say they will only pay for the eye test.
This is from CLEAPSS

"Employees cannot be required to pay for PPE. Thus, an employee who usually wears spectacles and who is required to wear eye protection for substantial periods will need to be provided with eye protection that can be worn over his/her prescription spectacles without impeding his/her work, or eye protection made up to his/her prescription."

My argument is over-glasses impede my work so I need glasses made up to my prescription.

Reactions: kaj
I went into Specsavers yesterday, picked the frames (JCB) and then they asked for the Corporate eyecare voucher or RA from my employer. I said I was buying as a private customer and would be reimbursed but I needed safety specs suitable for working in a chemistry lab. No problem until they asked me to sign a disclaimer which stated that the eyewear they would be selling me would not protect against droplets and splashes of liquids! Apparently, if I had eyecare vouchers or the RA there would be no need to sign the disclaimer. So I'm back to square 1. School are trying to make this go away by not actually dealing with it.
Write yourself a risk assessment and use the school headed paper. That'll do.

Reactions: kaj

karen b

COMMITTEE
Just spoke to my colleague about this. She just went to Specsavers with an existing prescription, told them she wanted glasses to comply with EN166F (same as our safety specs at work). She didn’t have to sign any disclaimer. She paid for them herself, and claimed it back via our health and safety compliance officer.