Prescription Safety Specs

I've just got a pair of Prescription Safety Specs from Specsavers via work. I was getting feds up with having to wear a pair on normal ones over my glasses, which was doing my head in, looking through two lenses close together. They seem good quality and only cost the School around £38 which I thought was an amazing price.

Attachments

• 20201019_120246.jpg
    20201019_120246.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 51

Nick Mitchener

COMMITTEE
I bought a pair of non prescription reading glasses safety specs, they are the same each eye and no astygmatism correction but were only £14.

I had asked 4 years earlier if the school would be paying and was told yes. However at that time I bought a pair with just reading in a bifocal prism on the bottom and didn't claim for them, £8 I think. So when I bought these I just sent up the bill. Email back from finance said yes ok, but would be nice to have some warning. Sent them another copy of their 4 year old email saying ok to go ahead, felt that was sufficient warning :)

I bought mine during a transitional period for the department management, so I never claimed anything for mine. They weren't cheap either, but I felt I needed them, as I have a large head, and the general safety specs either don't fit well over my glasses, or I have to wear a full pair of goggles and/or safety visor, which just steam everything up.

I'm still waiting to be told I can go ahead and buy prescription safety specs. I sent all the info to she who holds the purse strings back in June! Might take your approach Nick and just send her the bill.

Nick Mitchener

COMMITTEE
it is the responsibility of the school, a) to provide appropriate PPE, and b) to make appropriate and reasonable adjustments to enable you to work with your disability.

I think that gets them on both counts.

I wonder how much mine would cost. I need them tinted as I am dyslexic :D

But the better equipped tinted ones do me just fine at £6

At last I have been told I can get prescription safety specs, but I have to find an optician and sort them out myself as they don't want to sign up to the Specsavers scheme. Does anyone know if I can just approach Specsavers with my prescription? I have tried phoning both Specsavers and my own optician but after being on hold for an age I gave up!

karen b

COMMITTEE
At last I have been told I can get prescription safety specs, but I have to find an optician and sort them out myself as they don't want to sign up to the Specsavers scheme. Does anyone know if I can just approach Specsavers with my prescription? I have tried phoning both Specsavers and my own optician but after being on hold for an age I gave up!
Fairly sure this is what a colleague at work did recently.

Specsavers to sell them if you take in your prescription. They don't have them on display and I found some staff don't know about them, probably because they don't sell many.

Got mine from specsavers, just took my prescription in and picked the frames.
I got JCB ones as the were the best fit for me, cost around £70, school paid.

I only use glasses for reading and close work, so the reason was as I don't wear them all the time I don't use them enough to warrant the school paying. My argument was that I always need them when doing any chemical preparation and I can't see well enough in ordinary safety glasses, to no avail.

I only use glasses for reading and close work, so the reason was as I don't wear them all the time I don't use them enough to warrant the school paying. My argument was that I always need them when doing any chemical preparation and I can't see well enough in ordinary safety glasses, to no avail.
Schools (any employer) has a legal obligation to provide appropriate PPE for their workforce.

Shannon

Shannon
COMMITTEE
I know this is different - but my mum was able to take a prescription to another opticians as she was unable to park close to the last one (both stores understood this) and they just did a recheck to check for change and was fine. But I will add both of these are like private firms and not chained stores

Got mine from specsavers, just took my prescription in and picked the frames.
I got JCB ones as the were the best fit for me, cost around £70, school paid.
I went into Specsavers yesterday, picked the frames (JCB) and then they asked for the Corporate eyecare voucher or RA from my employer. I said I was buying as a private customer and would be reimbursed but I needed safety specs suitable for working in a chemistry lab. No problem until they asked me to sign a disclaimer which stated that the eyewear they would be selling me would not protect against droplets and splashes of liquids! Apparently, if I had eyecare vouchers or the RA there would be no need to sign the disclaimer. So I'm back to square 1. School are trying to make this go away by not actually dealing with it.