Prep room bench

Hi all,

Our school recently moved in to a new building and I'm looking at increasing the prep space and adding an island bench, as I've currently got around 2m squared total of surface to work on but plenty of empty space.
I got a quote from the company that fitted what is there currently which has turned out to be too expensive, for an island 3m x 1m.
So my question is- do you know if it's possible to just buy the lab surface as like a big panel (I'm planning on talking to the DT technician to see if he could make a frame)
and if so , what is recommended? I was looking at Trespa Toplab Plus and Base, but I honestly have no idea. All I've seen so far would need me to contact companies for quotes as well. Does it even need to be a laboratory-grade surface i.e. chemically resistant, or are there other materials that would be suitable?

Cheers

My empty space is filled with 3 lab-height desks, 2 of them longside adjacent, and 1 turned 90 degrees and adjacent to the short sides of the others. One desk is for purely non-chemical work, the other two I use as necessary.

There is a technicians group on facebook specifically for swapping/selling surplus equipment. Can't remember what it is called unfortunately and can't access it from school but it is not unusual to see surplus benches from lab refits, these would surely fit the bill. It is what they are designed for after all

We had a bit of a shuffle around here moving the sink and dishwashers from the main prep room over to the physics prep room. We had more space over there as a physics tech left who was not replaced. We asked our site team to arrange for a work area to be put in the gap that the sink left and came in one morning to find they'd put an old toilet cubical partition panel across the space to make a desk.. Delightful! :(

Not sure what brand it is or anything but my 'floating' bench in my room is just a normal high table that can be freely moved around which I find much handier than a bench for working because I can move it around for different things or shift it out of the way when doing some trolly shunting.

If you aren't married to the idea of a fixed island it might be worth taking into consideration :)

We had a bit of a shuffle around here moving the sink and dishwashers from the main prep room over to the physics prep room. We had more space over there as a physics tech left who was not replaced. We asked our site team to arrange for a work area to be put in the gap that the sink left and came in one morning to find they'd put an old toilet cubical partition panel across the space to make a desk.. Delightful! :(
Did you ask for a bog standard worktop?

What do you want to do with it? We have wooden benches in the workshop area but just kitchen worktop in the storeroom area. It has space for three gratnell trollies under. But I’m Physics only so don’t really use anything stronger than kitchen pantry stuff and repair work happens in the workshop where the tools are.

Last year, I bought 3 rectangular tables, 120cmx60x90cm with Aisla top (close match to Trespa but not as expensive), PU edge (recommended by supplier for ease of cleaning), fully welded, 25mm Square Steel Tube Frame. Very happy with the quality for the price (about £110 each). I won't cry if I damage the top and could replace them easily if needed.

This year, I was asked to trade 2 of those tables for a square 120cmx120cmx90cm, same area as 2 tables back to back. It actually works better in my configuration since before, I had to make sure that there was no gap between the tables.

If you're not putting cupboards underneath, or drawers, get your DT mate to make them high enough to store trolleys under! Lab bench height is about right for our trolleys, so long as they don't have a cross-beam half way back.

What do you want to do with it? We have wooden benches in the workshop area but just kitchen worktop in the storeroom area. It has space for three gratnell trollies under. But I’m Physics only so don’t really use anything stronger than kitchen pantry stuff and repair work happens in the workshop where the tools are.
It would be mainly for preparing trays to go onto trolleys, and storing mucky equipment before getting cleaned. I'm thinking maybe just keep it that way and don't do any chemical prep on it and then ,maybe wooden benches would be fine :)

Thank you all, you are much help :)
I am thinking keep the space that is already there for chemical prep, and keep this new bench as a 'dry' workspace - so would it even be worth trying to get surfaces made for labs do you think? Or just get something reasonably hard-wearing, even a surface used for kitchen tops maybe?

karen b

COMMITTEE
I am thinking keep the space that is already there for chemical prep, and keep this new bench as a 'dry' workspace - so would it even be worth trying to get surfaces made for labs do you think? Or just get something reasonably hard-wearing, even a surface used for kitchen tops maybe?
When we redesigned our chem store I had just a piece of kitchen worktop put in by the site staff. It allows the flammable cupboards to sit underneath and is just used for a tray or two while you are gathering bottles or putting away.

our teaching labs are wood, we have trespa in the prep rooms but I don't think it's better, it still stains and burns etc