Practical notice period

I suggest to my teachers that 7 days gives them a sporting chance of getting the practical they want - particularly if its biology and requires things to be grown etc, or random items to be bought. In reality its normally Friday for the following week but with a heads up earlier if they know a longer lead in time is required.

Thursday by 8.30 am under normal circumstances, I'm allowing 2 days for covid as what we can do is limited.

I'm a lone tech. It used to be breaktime on Thursday but since Covid it's moved to end of lunch on Wednesday. I've found that this works so much better so it'll continue in September regardless of bubbles etc. I like to work 2 days ahead of myself where possible so this allows a good cushion period of time for last minute rushes which will inevitably happen.

clairelucas

COMMITTEE
I make them aware of ordering experiments that would need goggles Thursday for the following week. Ones that require a greater amount of prep (agar plates, algal balls etc) they will ask for personally, so i don't get to Thursday and suddenly find it can't be done. The advantage of lablogger (sorry..) is they know its still a 'no', or I need clarification, until its been authorised on the calendar..

Thursday noon for following week, lone tech. Late requests depend on what it is/if time allows.

Our deadline is Tuesday at 5pm for the following week. anything after that is considered late and not guaranteed. we occasionally get a few last minutes and very rarely same day requests. We accommodate as much as you can but longer deadlines the better and be flexible where you can.

I would say guaranteed that 24hours is not enough notice I would say minimum 3 days

ajmc98

Don't lick, smell or touch it and you won't die.
Wednesday at 4 o'clock for the Monday, it's the teacher's deadline for lessons to be quality assured so my figuring was if they know what's in their lessons, they should know what practical is needed and what equipment.

If there's something small I don't mind getting it ready with a few hours notice if i'm not busy.

Our notice period is 48 hours, which usually works fine for us, but we are a team of 3!

Any shopping requests have to be in by Thursday for the following week, as well as a week's notice for anything such as dissections/agar plates etc

Thursday noon for following week, lone tech. Late requests depend on what it is/if time allows.
Same here. Though they know anything for a Monday morning had better be simple to prepare, 'or else'... Never been tested LOL.
Even though prac-light, the process of 72HR quarantining on equipment is a factor, so I've not budged on this standard notice (which is one advocated by CLEAPSS).

Reactions: TDM
Friday dinner usually, but RP require more time, and my lot are trained that involved ones need 3 weeks (such as microbiology). But I do try to accommodate last minute requests as things are movable, maybe a class gets on better/worse than the teacher thought.

Our deadline is 1pm Thursday. however we will try to do last minute stuff as long as they have put a requisition sheet in, ie it's something they've missed or the kids need something visual to get the topic.

CovTech

Lvl 37 Alchemist
COMMITTEE
Our deadline is 9:30am for the following day for standard pracs
Two weeks notice is asked for A-Level or new/unique pracs so they can be trialled and chem stocks checked/replenished

Pracs which require fresh shopping like should be on by lunchtime Thursday for the following week

My notice is 8.30am Friday for the following Monday, so i guess in work hours that is only 24 hours. I am also a lone technician, with 10 teachers over 9 rooms. I hope this helps. Obviously if you don't feel comfortable with 24 hours notice you can always try push for 48 hours, i'm not sure why it would be a problem. Good luck!
This is a time frame I've gone with in the past, it steadily went from Thursday dinner to Friday 08:00.

Although yes it is only 24 hours, its only a 24 hour notice period for the Monday, still have up to a week notice for the other days so that's why I find it can work.

At my current place it is Wednesday dinner for the following week, but is rather a fluid deadline, we use LabLogger so will see immediately when something new goes on so always have time to prep, it's also a benefit having 4 technicians to 11 teachers.

We have a spreadsheet based booking system and print off the diary for Monday and Tuesday at 2:45 on Friday and for the rest of the week sometime on Tuesday. Requests after that might get done but it depends on what else is going on, who asks (the usual suspects get a no) and what it is whether they get it.

Our deadline is the end of lunch on Thursday for the following week.... in theory.... In practice, about half don't meet the deadline but we're stupid and provide stuff anyway.... it's the kids that miss out if we don't.... We do have most in by the end of Friday.... Any shopping required has to be in by Thurs lunch or they get it themselves... Having said that, a few weeks ago the HoD started bribing them with chocolates and chips as rewards for all individual subject teachers being on time.... we had the first week since I started here 16 years ago when all requests were in by the deadline when it was chip week, and only 1 or 2 missing on the chocolate weeks...... :rolleyes:

Irene

Irene
I'm a lone tech. It used to be breaktime on Thursday but since Covid it's moved to end of lunch on Wednesday. I've found that this works so much better so it'll continue in September regardless of bubbles etc. I like to work 2 days ahead of myself where possible so this allows a good cushion period of time for last minute rushes which will inevitably happen.
Can I ask a question? How big is your prep room and how many trays do you have to be 2 days ahead of yourself? I'm also a lone tech and am struggling cleaning, prepping for 34 students with 5 labs on the go, the cleaning of safety specs and trays is my bug bare as I don't seem to have enough for the day. (the students end up with wet specs!!).
My requests are for Thursday, but I do have the stragglers who put theirs in Friday morning, or sometimes Monday morning (then I get annoyed)

A strict 9am Thursday deadline for the following week.
I keep a record of all late submissions, leading to bar chart published at the end of each term. Everyone want to be on 100% and not pick up the wooden spoon. Slightly childish perhaps, but by gum it's effective in motivating staff, leading to a very high deadline compliance!

My deadline is Thursday evening, for all practicals desired for the coming week. So long as it's in before the start of the day on Friday, that gives me the day to start prepping the most urgent Monday practicals. My only current exception to this is dissections, for which an extra week's notice is needed in order to source organs.