Pooters

Just called CLEAPSS about using Pooters. After all, we can't use straws.
CLEAPSS said Pooters are fine though as you are using them outdoors!
I did point out that when young kids are using them they won't use them properly, then the tech then has to open them to get the bugs out with lovely spittle & breath in them too. But, the advisor said that, " Well now, under normal circumstances you'd be cleaning them after use anyway so....".
I wonder if I had same advisor as another tech on here had as he was VERY condescending, He also said that I was calling about a, " very specific thing", I said yes, Science.
Sadly I was too irritated with him to take his name, I got off phone quickly before I exploded, :( :rolleyes: older man who I felt would have patted me on the head & called me 'little lady' had we been talking face to face!:mad:
Don't know why I bother calling the bl**dy place sometimes, it's just p***** me off!
Had to get that off my chest Grrrrr. I thought it was a reasonable question during a pandemic, but heigh ho.

It's more than a reasonable question! Using them outdoors is totally irrelevant when as you say, someone has to open them after some little treasure has spat all over it! As much as we all want to get back to normal ( whatever that is!) this virus is still going strong. So many people are acting as if we don't have to bother anymore and CLEAPSS of ALL people should know better! We do pay for this service and it's advice after all. Very disappointing when this is the second incident :crying:

Julie Delaney

COMMITTEE
I did point out that when young kids are using them they won't use them properly, then the tech then has to open them to get the bugs out with lovely spittle & breath in them too. But, the advisor said that, " Well now, under normal circumstances you'd be cleaning them after use anyway so....".
I wonder if I had same advisor as another tech on here had as he was VERY condescending, He also said that I was calling about a, " very specific thing", I said yes, Science.
Sadly I was too irritated with him to take his name, I got off phone quickly before I exploded, :( :rolleyes: older man who I felt would have patted me on the head & called me 'little lady' had we been talking face to face!:mad:
Don't know why I bother calling the bl**dy place sometimes, it's just p***** me off!
Had to get that off my chest Grrrrr. I thought it was a reasonable question during a pandemic, but heigh ho.
OMG.. Pooters make me sick at the best of times, let alone during a pandemic. I tell our lot that we cannot use them.... Saves the stress and hassle of cleaning them and having to speak to the condescending pr1ck who p1ssed you off. Try and calm down.. he is the one with the problem, he probably need blue pills............................ ;)

OMG.. Pooters make me sick at the best of times, let alone during a pandemic. I tell our lot that we cannot use them.... Saves the stress and hassle of cleaning them and having to speak to the condescending pr1ck who p1ssed you off. Try and calm down.. he is the one with the problem, he probably need blue pills............................ ;)
I just did impression of the voice & tone to one of the teachers, she gasped & said " How bl**dy patronising!
We'll end up using Pooters sadly.

labsleuth

COMMITTEE
I've only ever rang the CLEAPSS helpline once and got spoken to like I was stupid. Never again.

I cut off the ends of disposable 3ml pipettes up to the 1.5ml mark and use these as a mouth peice to place in the green tube of the pooter (pointed end in the tube). These can then be sanitised in 1% vircon and then be safely disposed of in the waste bin. We did this before Covid and it works well, students feel safer using a mouth piece they know someone else hasn't used before.
Straws arn't used for experiments where blowing is required (into lime water for example) because of blowing out potential virus in the breath. Pooters are used to 'suck' so this shouldn't present a problem.
Each student should idealy have their own pooter to use, and these can then be washed or quarentined for 72 hours before another class uses them. Hope this helps.
NB the other ends of the Pipettes are used for sucking up 'pond life' when pond dipping :)

I absolutely hate pooters and put them off using them. The kids don't use them properly and I feel sorry for the bugs, there they are happily sitting on a plant when some oversized human with bad breathe sucks them into a plastic bottle. I'd hate it if I were a bug. Sweep nets and magnifying specimen jars are much kinder.

Julie Delaney

COMMITTEE
I get that
They're helpful in their way but goddamn do they come across as patronising

You can even read it in their communications - be that on the phone, in the bulletin or the helpline emails
The guy who did the RPS course 11 years ago was a patronising bore or maybe that should be boar. He condescended to me, asked me why I was there as I was a techie on my own and told me I could not have the certificate because I had to leave early. What a jobsworth... He deffo needed blue pills.

It's more than a reasonable question! Using them outdoors is totally irrelevant when as you say, someone has to open them after some little treasure has spat all over it! As much as we all want to get back to normal ( whatever that is!) this virus is still going strong. So many people are acting as if we don't have to bother anymore and CLEAPSS of ALL people should know better! We do pay for this service and it's advice after all. Very disappointing when this is the second incident :crying:
Sometimes I'm glad the only green here is a bit of AstroTurf.

I have mixed views on CLEAPSS' helpline. Some really helpful people, yet some of the advisers at CLEAPSS have been completely useless. You know something is not right when you call a helpline for advice and you end up having to give them advice...

I emailed in the same question and was told that as long as we had control measures in place, e.d students have their own pooters, mouth pieces are only only handled by students and are disinfected before and straight after use it was OK to use them.

When I told the teacher they'd need to take a bucket of Milton out onto the field for the kids to put them in, they were happy not to use them!

CLEAPSS did suggest that students could collect the invertebrates using a small paint brush and a specimen pot.

I cut off the ends of disposable 3ml pipettes up to the 1.5ml mark and use these as a mouth peice to place in the green tube of the pooter (pointed end in the tube). These can then be sanitised in 1% vircon and then be safely disposed of in the waste bin. We did this before Covid and it works well, students feel safer using a mouth piece they know someone else hasn't used before.
Straws arn't used for experiments where blowing is required (into lime water for example) because of blowing out potential virus in the breath. Pooters are used to 'suck' so this shouldn't present a problem.
Each student should idealy have their own pooter to use, and these can then be washed or quarentined for 72 hours before another class uses them. Hope this helps.
NB the other ends of the Pipettes are used for sucking up 'pond life' when pond dipping :)
"Pooters are used to 'suck' so this shouldn't present a problem."
Have you met year 7's?!
I know how to use Pooters!
BUT despite being shown how to use them, they blow, they suck, they chew, the state we have had pooters back in the past. YUK!
Personally I think they are horrible....kids and pooters! :laughing:

I may try the pipette end idea though, thanks, hopefully none will swallow it :rolleyes:

I just told the teacher who asked for pooters that CLEAPSS won't allow it. Same teacher asked for spirometer the previous week which I said no to. I'm not cleaning up anything that has been spat on by teachers or students.

I absolutely hate pooters and put them off using them. The kids don't use them properly and I feel sorry for the bugs, there they are happily sitting on a plant when some oversized human with bad breathe sucks them into a plastic bottle. I'd hate it if I were a bug. Sweep nets and magnifying specimen jars are much kinder.
We are collecting bugs, allegedly, for use by 6th formers tomorrow. I said to the teacher that we'd probably end up killing them or they'd be dead by tomorrow. her answer was unprintable. ( Luckily not nastily or I'd be 'losing' the pooters)
I'm in the wrong job. I hate killing stuff.
It always surprises me how people that have studied biology or zoology like killing things.

We are collecting bugs, allegedly, for use by 6th formers tomorrow. I said to the teacher that we'd probably end up killing them or they'd be dead by tomorrow. her answer was unprintable. ( Luckily not nastily or I'd be 'losing' the pooters)
I'm in the wrong job. I hate killing stuff.
It always surprises me how people that have studied biology or zoology like killing things.
A temporary biology teacher here did dissecting locusts last year. I know they are just bugs but why kill them just to cut up and throw in a bin? (I had no part in buying or killing them)