Polystyrene Cups' Lids

Nick Mitchener

COMMITTEE
Also catches the liquid when over enthusiastic pupils puncture the bottom of the cup with the thermometer :rolleyes:

We used this yesterday, though I think it raises the risk of puncture because the cups don't go to the bottom of a 250ml beaker. 400ml they probably would.

We used this yesterday, though I think it raises the risk of puncture because the cups don't go to the bottom of a 250ml beaker. 400ml they probably would.
We make the students pay 50p for any cups they puncture - they are advised of this at the start of the practical. Always get the argument - "there's no way they cost 50p", to which I reply "you're right, there's an hour of my time to drive into town and back, plus my petrol, plus the car park charge, plus the cost of the cup...would you feel more comfortable paying £2.50 to cover all the costs incurred due to your carelessness?", they usually pay up straight away!

I have a set of doubled polystyrene cups glued together with lids cut from flat polystyrene sheet with hole for thermometers. Only used by year 12 chem and have lasted for years. Also stand them in beakers for stability.
it's pity polystyrene ceiling tiles have gone out of fashion....

There are 2 sizes of lids you can buy, to fit 7 fluid oz or 10 fluid oz (half a pint) poly cups. I also have used petri dishes as lids, make holes for the thermometer by heating a metal rod or six inch nail, in the bunsen.

I agree with Mandy J - Circles cut from Flat polystyrene with a hole in . Had a set that I have used for years

CovTech

Lvl 37 Alchemist
COMMITTEE
We do this and dont use lids as to be honest it makes very little difference. Experiments are very quick so any heat loss is minimal.
True but it's not necessarily the results we're looking to influence so much as introducing the concept of reducing loss/controlling variables which will be questioned on the exam paper later

If they never saw a lid on it they won't know why there was supposed to be one when asked

The last lot we bought was from BE. they are generally not in the science catalogue but in their Food tech range
£1.74 for 50 x cups
£2.81 for 100 x lids

Hi all,

I always get requested of polystyrene cups with lids, but I couldn't ever find such lids to buy at the street shops where I buy this polystyrene cups,

So what can I put instead?

Regards
I went to our local posh coffee shop asked if I could have 20, manager gave me a pack.