Polystyrene Cups' Lids

Hi all,

I always get requested of polystyrene cups with lids, but I couldn't ever find such lids to buy at the street shops where I buy this polystyrene cups,

So what can I put instead?

Regards

Hi all,

I always get requested of polystyrene cups with lids, but I couldn't ever find such lids to buy at the street shops where I buy this polystyrene cups,

Regards
In the past I have used:
lids that I brought from the same supplier as the cups - these I also make sure are not thrown away so they can be re used
thick cardboard with a thermometer hole - made some once as an alternative after a teacher complained about the proper lids? these of course didn't last long as they would deform when wet.
tick cardboard mounted on plastic - I improved my design and mounted the cardboard between two sheets of plastic
wooden ones - I also had some specially made wooden ones which would slot comfortably into a cup/beaker/calorimeter

We use bubble wrap with a hole pushed through for the thermometer as there is an almost constant source from deliveries. Even so, I make sure it is collected back (intact!) at the end of the lesson.

karen b

COMMITTEE
Do you order stuff from ESPO? They have lids available to order with their polystyrene food containers

Techitude

COMMITTEE
If you are in desperate need you can laminate cardboard to make them waterproof (just cut your holes first before laminating and leave an edge of laminate when you cut them so it stays sealed)

That said we also just buy the disposible lids from YPO and they do the trick great, really cheap so you can throw them away if they get ruined by the kids.

We use Rumbouts coffee filter lids with a hole melted in them - who know what we will do when we run out of them!

Hi all,

Regards
We use bubble wrap with a hole pushed through for the thermometer as there is an almost constant source from deliveries. Even so, I make sure it is collected back (intact!) at the end of the lesson.
In the past I have used:
lids that I brought from the same supplier as the cups - these I also make sure are not thrown away so they can be re used
thick cardboard with a thermometer hole - made some once as an alternative after a teacher complained about the proper lids? these of course didn't last long as they would deform when wet.
tick cardboard mounted on plastic - I improved my design and mounted the cardboard between two sheets of plastic
wooden ones - I also had some specially made wooden ones which would slot comfortably into a cup/beaker/calorimeter
We use petri dish lids and if needed make a hole for a thermometer with a hot cork borer.
We have a Class set of Copper Calorimeters complete with a Wooden Lid with a hole for the Thermometer to sit.

When I first arrived, the biotech was using twenty lids she'd scavenged from somewhere. They had turned yellow, were full of cracks and some crumbled to the touch. She insisted they were all we had and we had to share them. In the store-room upstairs, I found two boxes of 1000 pristine lids... That was five years ago - should I tell her yet?

Jump up and down on the old lids in front of her, then run away! A short time later (give her time to fret about what they will use now), then present the new ones to her, and you will be her hero for evermore.