People, I am VEXED.

Several weeks ago, when I was not here, the gas in our mobile lab failed a test.

Premises took the keys out of my collection and promptly forgot about the whole thing.

I found out when one of the teachers (who was doing an impromptu 'heating water' prac I hadn't been told about and was in and out of prep scrabbling for stopwatches etc. this AM so I was already peeved) came in mid-lesson, panicking that the key had vanished. (Lost? Stolen?!)

I was searching for it in increasingly panicky fashion for a while as the class sat there with their useless bunsens out (and I'm trying not to be in the room when they are because of COVID so, even though the cupboard is at the very front and well away from them, that was stressful in itself).

As a last resort and fully expecting to get a bollocking for losing a key, I called prems and was finally told the whole sorry tale. They're chasing the gas people up. Now. Until that's done, no gas. :serious:

Several weeks ago, when I was not here, the gas in our mobile lab failed a test.

Premises took the keys out of my collection and promptly forgot about the whole thing.

I found out when one of the teachers (who was doing an impromptu 'heating water' prac I hadn't been told about and was in and out of prep scrabbling for stopwatches etc. this AM so I was already peeved) came in mid-lesson, panicking that the key had vanished. (Lost? Stolen?!)

I was searching for it in increasingly panicky fashion for a while as the class sat there with their useless bunsens out (and I'm trying not to be in the room when they are because of COVID so, even though the cupboard is at the very front and well away from them, that was stressful in itself).

As a last resort and fully expecting to get a bollocking for losing a key, I called prems and was finally told the whole sorry tale. They're chasing the gas people up. Now. Until that's done, no gas. :serious:
I feel for you. We keep all our keys on one bunch and take them home. All three technicians have a set and it's a big bunch! It is the only way we can keep track of them. We never lend keys out, not even for ten minutes. Site staff have their own keys.

We had that once and no heating for a month as well.

In a similar vein, a couple of years ago the gas was tested in one of our labs over the summer holidays as part of the annual inspection. It failed and the whole lab was condemned. This was not mentioned to anyone in the Chemistry department and it only came to light when a teacher needed to use the gas and we found that the supply had been capped. 18 months on we still only have gas to the middle benches in the lab and no timescale for getting it rectified.

So apparently it was INSTALLED wrong in the first place but we only found out now because it didn't have to be tested in the first year after it was built.
That lab has been nothing but trouble I swear, IDK what cheap cowboys they got in to design/build it but it's been leaking on and off since it was built because the cupboards are put together in such a way that you can't get to the pipes to tighten them properly (and they couldn't when they installed them so things were just put in loose).
Also it's never had hot water which is fun in a pandemic when you aren't allowed alcohol based sanitiser (although now the gas is decommissioned for the foreseeable I guess we can?).

Bet they saved some :greed: :greed: :greed: though so yay?

So apparently it was INSTALLED wrong in the first place but we only found out now because it didn't have to be tested in the first year after it was built.
That lab has been nothing but trouble I swear, IDK what cheap cowboys they got in to design/build it but it's been leaking on and off since it was built because the cupboards are put together in such a way that you can't get to the pipes to tighten them properly (and they couldn't when they installed them so things were just put in loose).
Also it's never had hot water which is fun in a pandemic when you aren't allowed alcohol based sanitiser (although now the gas is decommissioned for the foreseeable I guess we can?).

Bet they saved some :greed: :greed: :greed: though so yay?
I think we must have used the same cowboys. We had 4 rooms turned into labs about 5 years ago and there have been constant issues with the gas in particular. Site team have had people out to investigate on numerous occasions but they can never fully solve the issue (as you say, the pipework is concealed within all the cupboards with minimal access, so I suspect it is too much effort to fix it). Sometimes when the gas has not been used in that block for a while, we have to bleed air out of the gas pipes in all 4 rooms (usually opening the taps for 10 minutes or so) until any gas comes through.

I think we must have used the same cowboys. We had 4 rooms turned into labs about 5 years ago and there have been constant issues with the gas in particular. Site team have had people out to investigate on numerous occasions but they can never fully solve the issue (as you say, the pipework is concealed within all the cupboards with minimal access, so I suspect it is too much effort to fix it). Sometimes when the gas has not been used in that block for a while, we have to bleed air out of the gas pipes in all 4 rooms (usually opening the taps for 10 minutes or so) until any gas comes through.

Pay cheap, pay twice as they say! Some middle manager gets a pay rise for suggesting some 'synergistic streamlining of acquisition processes' aka, cutting corners and going cheap which costs people more in the long run :(

Pay cheap, pay twice as they say! Some middle manager gets a pay rise for suggesting some 'synergistic streamlining of acquisition processes' aka, cutting corners and going cheap which costs people more in the long run :(
Very true, Bee :(

CovTech

Lvl 37 Alchemist
COMMITTEE
At the end of the day what you need to do is break through the clutter, look at what you bring to the table, have a clear goal. It's all about disruptive innovation where diversity is key and empowerment above all else.
Make sure you have plenty of face time, maximize globalization, grow the business, use a holistic approach but gain leverage, move forward, redefine the new normal because it's about organic growth and thinking outside the box.
You have to shift some paradigms, be proactive, push the envelope, visualize the change, streamline your life as it's about sustainability and synergy but don't forget wellness, keep it right in your wheelhouse and it will be a win-win, downsize the enterprise, brainstorm a customer-centric solution, if you can believe, you can do it.

At the end of the day what you need to do is break through the clutter, look at what you bring to the table, have a clear goal. It's all about disruptive innovation where diversity is key and empowerment above all else.
Make sure you have plenty of face time, maximize globalization, grow the business, use a holistic approach but gain leverage, move forward, redefine the new normal because it's about organic growth and thinking outside the box.
You have to shift some paradigms, be proactive, push the envelope, visualize the change, streamline your life as it's about sustainability and synergy but don't forget wellness, keep it right in your wheelhouse and it will be a win-win, downsize the enterprise, brainstorm a customer-centric solution, if you can believe, you can do it.
Thanks, I need some chamomile tea now...

Last edited:
Always reminds me of a job interview i went to for a fancy science office place and to this day I cannot for the life of me work out what the actual job is because the entire job description and interview process was 100% these jargon words haha. I'm nearly certain that it was just a glorified call center though.

You forgot to "Embrace the change and enjoy the challenge"..... ;)