Pay

Nick Mitchener

COMMITTEE
It used to carry over in London but with academies who knows.

Negotiate, where are they gonna find another experienced physics technician .

Though both are academies they both follow local authority employment policies so I think it will carry over. Negotiation will certainly be part of it :)

For the accumulated Knowledge lets just say they get us very cheaply and don't possibly appreciate what they have until. We are all moved on or into retirement ,

Nick Mitchener

COMMITTEE
It used to carry over in London but with academies who knows.

Negotiate, where are they gonna find another experienced physics technician .

There was no problem on the pay scale, so I'm on the same pay. They wouldn't carry on the holiday as they said my service wasn't continuous but I think they might be wrong about that. Will talk to the LA I think. Anyway I start September, induction on Monday.

They have finally advertised my old post after a year, at the decreased salary of £9.62 to £9.81 per hour. It works out at £3000 less per annum than I was on, for doing the same job. They have also cut the hours from 37 to 35 per week. This is for a lone technician in a school of around 1000 pupils including a sixth form. I feared they would use the opportunity of me leaving and having no tech for a year due to Covid (basically very little practical work was done) to downgrade the post and have been proven right.....sadly!

Last edited:
They have finally advertised my old post after a year, at the decreased salary of £9.62 to £9.81 per hour. It works out at £3000 less per annum than I was on, for doing the same job. They have also cut the hours from 37 to 35 per week. This is for a lone technician in a school of around 1000 pupils including a sixth form. I feared they would use the opportunity of me leaving and having no tech for a year due to Covid (basically very little practical work was done) to downgrade the post and have been proven right.....sadly!
sounds about right that !!!!!! sad but true

Once I retire in a few years, I imagine the same will happen here. The DT tech took redundancy and the job is now 'resources assistant.' Lower pay, with another two subjects to deal with, plus, playground duty added to the contract. They can basically be placed anywhere, and used to do anything.

Technicians are obviously highly valued members of staff... ;)

I wasn't particularly sure where I sat on the pay issue, so this thread prompted me to delve into it.

Turns out I'm on the NJC Pay Scale.

I started out on the very lowest scale point (SCP 1) 4 years ago, so I was on about £9.10 per hour in 2017. Since then my pay has climbed steadily, where it now sits at about £10.69 (SCP 9) after factoring in TTO pro rata. I am a solo TTO Senior Technician.

Considering that I was on £7.20 an hour in my old job (minimum wage), I now work far fewer hours, and get paid more for it. I can't really grumble since I've gone from having my entire wage depleted every month to actually being able to save. I also utterly loathed my last job, and I'm not being hyperbolic when I say that getting this technician job after 10 years of thankless, torturous drudgery literally saved my life.

Y'all should come up north to Scotland. Starting pay rate for science tech of approx £11.50/hour, max after yon time =approx £14/hr. That said I still believe we're undervalued.

Y'all should come up north to Scotland. Starting pay rate for science tech of approx £11.50/hour, max after yon time =approx £14/hr. That said I still believe we're undervalued.

That's good actually, I've been here 9 years and have just hit the dizzying heights of £10.41 an hour. The only reason we got the last payrise is because we joined an academy trust who use a different pay scale. We still at the top of our band so unlikely to see more payrises in the future.

I've managed to secure more (but through another agency) but then again, I really do believe in being able to upskill yourself. For example, at the start of the pandemic, most teachers were videoing their demos using their webcam on their laptop... I knew how to stream online using a free studio software, so I introduced this and the teachers loved it. I don't even think anyone else here on this forum has done something similar. I used this as a negotiating point.

clairelucas

COMMITTEE
I've managed to secure more (but through another agency) but then again, I really do believe in being able to upskill yourself. For example, at the start of the pandemic, most teachers were videoing their demos using their webcam on their laptop... I knew how to stream online using a free studio software, so I introduced this and the teachers loved it. I don't even think anyone else here on this forum has done something similar. I used this as a negotiating point.
You're going to have to explain the last two sentences to me, not sure I am getting the point/don't want to misconstrue..

I'd did something similar here, but I don't see the relevance unless I'm misunderstanding your point.

I think the issue in this thread is that you're comparing apples to oranges. From my experience agency staff get paid higher because they don't have the job security and benefits that fixed employment has. Here our chiefs can and will drop agency staff with little notice and I don't believe agency staff have things like employer pension contributions, paid holiday, etc.

I'd did something similar here, but I don't see the relevance unless I'm misunderstanding your point.

I think the issue in this thread is that you're comparing apples to oranges. From my experience agency staff get paid higher because they don't have the job security and benefits that fixed employment has. Here our chiefs can and will drop agency staff with little notice and I don't believe agency staff have things like employer pension contributions, paid holiday, etc.
I get paid hourly slightly more, in my 'bank' job than the permanent staff, and yes it's to cover for not getting holiday and sick pay etc.

A job came up across the road from where I live, I was very keen to apply, however the pay was shocking. I would have to take a £900 hit in my wage. I didn't apply. It has been advertised 3 times and is an outstanding academy. My impression is they don't think very much of science technicians.

Nick Mitchener

COMMITTEE
We have students who are working as cleaners, apparently they get £9.60 an hour. I get £10.21

I didn't get my extra week back as they say I've had a break in employment, though the County Council who pay my pension still list me as an employee So I'm not convinced about that. I may tackle that at some point. Currently waiting to see what my first pay packet looks like to decide if it is worth getting up in the morning!