open evening ideas

Open Evening is almost here. Our year 7/8 who would be demostrating have done no practicas this year. HEART dissection! NO They only do this in year 10 and not suitable.

Pondweed demo? how would this happen, won`t work on a normal lesson. No pondweed
Food tests and onion slides that is it at the moment.
Any easy, simple practicals that could be done. Anything considered. Please help.

Thanks

We are doing the leaf peel slides using nail polish and sellotape. It is another microscope one though, so maybe you want something different.

labsleuth

COMMITTEE
Making jelly cells? Bit messy, but fun.

Urine testing - which patient has diabetes.

Do you have a model torso? Could make it a contest to who can put it back together in the right way.

Extracting DNA from fruit.

A couple that I assume are enjoyed are below:

Mystery Boxes - Demo/Participation Objects such as cauliflower, tomato and sausages. Guess the organs.

Old A4 paper box covered in a bin bag with a slit in the top that you can put a hand in. The cauliflower has wallpaper paste put on it and could pass for a brain. Peeled tomato not exactly sure what it was meant to represent to be honest. Sausages I guess it could be that but probably more sensible to say section of digestive system. I also think they did use a lambs heart. Gloves are to be worn by all participants.

Also chromatography is nice and simple and despite having seen it 3327 times it is fun if you aren't involved with science.

pH testing of a few simple household chemicals - fizzy drinks, fruit juices etc for example.
Spectroscopy, if you have hand held spectroscopes etc, can compare daylight to light from, well, lights... more helpful if you have standard lamps and they match the spectrum.
Advanced requisition sheets - show the teachers even incoming year 7s can do it right...

I'm keeping it simple this year by doing an instruction following activity. It's quite fun as it involves following arrows which coincidentally happen to be pointing towards the nearest fire exit.

We've had open evening cancelled again (B'ham city council) so don't have to prep anything :D :D
how about making slime or rainbow fizz in measuring cylenders

karen b

COMMITTEE
Presume the OP is looking for biology ideas

We do onion slide preparation (year 7 and 8 shown beforehand how to do this), tradescantia under a microscope, pond water with hand lenses and a microscope

Biology ones

1 senses circus
sight - colour blindness cards
taste - ptc paper
smell - covered pots with smelly stuff, onion, mint, coffee etc
touch - feely bag/box with shapes or common items
hearing - different sound of pitch/ volume/ frequency

2 making a skeleton- you can get downloads of skeleton bones to cut out and assemble using sellotape or split pins ( our yr 7 love this one)

Biology ones

1 senses circus
sight - colour blindness cards
taste - ptc paper
smell - covered pots with smelly stuff, onion, mint, coffee etc
touch - feely bag/box with shapes or common items
hearing - different sound of pitch/ volume/ frequency

2 making a skeleton- you can get downloads of skeleton bones to cut out and assemble using sellotape or split pins ( our yr 7 love this one)
ptc not suitable for open evening see PP084 PTC taste test on Cleapss

It is going ahead here but not hands on for visitors, so a variety of demonstrations for them to view on a whistle stop tour of the school, most of the stuff I've been asked for is usually reserved for high end GCSE and A level so what the prospective new students will make of it all is any ones guess.