Only one applicant!

labsleuth

COMMITTEE
I too have noticed that you see the same schools advertising the same position repeatedly. Wasn't sure if it was recruitment or retainment they struggle with, possibly both.

Techitude

COMMITTEE
I too have noticed that you see the same schools advertising the same position repeatedly. Wasn't sure if it was recruitment or retainment they struggle with, possibly both.
I guess it really depends. We've lost everyone for genuine reasons but objectively someone looking from outside may think it's an issue with the school.

What are the kids like? Maybe the local people have seen them a bus stops etc & though, nope.

For many people now, taking a low paid job means you seem worse off than if you stay on universal credit.
Once you start earning, you often lose more in benefits, such as housing, council tax etc, than you would earn.
For many younger people, working in a school just doesn't appeal. I know it wouldn't have been for me when I was alive. ;)

What are the kids like? Maybe the local people have seen them a bus stops etc & though, nope.

For many people now, taking a low paid job means you seem worse off than if you stay on universal credit.
Once you start earning, you often lose more in benefits, such as housing, council tax etc, than you would earn.
For many younger people, working in a school just doesn't appeal. I know it wouldn't have been for me when I was alive. ;)
They're not too bad really.

We've just had similar issue with IT tech position.

Yup, not a single applicant I have been told for our IT position.
Just checked the CLEAPSS job adverts: http://science.cleapss.org.uk/Job-Service/Job-Adverts.aspx
Huge list. Same crappy pay with few exceptions like the City of London job £34K for a chemistry tech TTO. They'll likely get applicants whilst everyone else will scratch their head and wonder why nobody applies.

The government, despite their many faults, are 100% right in saying firms need to pay more to solve the general worker shortage crisis. it's no good for institutions crying to the government for assistance, when they have squandered their money/profits and exploited cheap foreign labour to artificially keep wages suppressed the last few decades.

It's literally time to pay the piper (a decent salary)!

If you are after a person with a graduate degree, then you have to pay graduate wages. you don't spend over £9000 a year to get a degree to be earning around £10 an hour
I learnt somewhere that one particular party encouraged loads of students to go to uni due to the 2008 economic banking fiasco, which helped reduce the unemployment figures...

It kind of seems that if loads of people get degrees, then you need to do a masters to stand out, and if loads of people get a masters...

labsleuth

COMMITTEE
I learnt somewhere that one particular party encouraged loads of students to go to uni due to the 2008 economic banking fiasco, which helped reduce the unemployment figures...

It kind of seems that if loads of people get degrees, then you need to do a masters to stand out, and if loads of people get a masters...
Higher education qualifications have definitely been devalued. Think it will only get worse moving forward because online/blended learning means more people can enroll on the same course than before.

Higher education qualifications have definitely been devalued. Think it will only get worse moving forward because online/blended learning means more people can enroll on the same course than before.
Let us not forget the value of informal education, and its applications in life! Seems to be a thing that one needs to learn purely to get a qualification. If one has curiosity sparked, then one has a hunger for learning new things in which one applies to ones life.

It's not just school technicians. I was previously employed in veterinary diagnostics (blood testing), at the london lab and i was earning 10 - 11 per hour. We were not allowed london weighting as we were already several thousand more per year than equivalents at their main lab in devon.

I noticed they are advertising for a new person at the main site, 13k a year, 40+hour week, plus every other saturday. All posts require a degree or equivalent. Madness.

We had 4 applicants, 1 withdrew, 1 had no experience and we interviewed 2 and appointed none. Going to re-advertise it.
Is there a reason you won't take a chance on someone with no experience? If someone hadn't taken a chance on me when i had no experience i wouldn't have the job i have now.

I truly believe a lot of the job can be learnt and doesn't require much knowledge or skill prior to joining if the head technician is willing to teach them

Is there a reason you won't take a chance on someone with no experience? If someone hadn't taken a chance on me when i had no experience i wouldn't have the job i have now.

I truly believe a lot of the job can be learnt and doesn't require much knowledge or skill prior to joining if the head technician is willing to teach them

I asked the IT tech if they're willing to train someone up, they said they want someone with experience. At some point in time, people with experience will have progressed further up the ladder or simply died :eek:
Competent people can pick up skills very quickly if only given the chance. There is too much emphasis on seeking people with degrees and experience but none on competence.

A competent person can eventually do a job well. An experienced person may have always done the job poorly...

How many schools have head or senior technicians?
We just have standard grade technicians and we have trained people in the past but I can see this being an issue with available time etc.