Old Ammonia solution

Hi,
I have started working as a lone Technician few months ago and had no previous training. I have found lots of, probably a year old bottles 1 M and 2 Molar ammonia solutions sitting in chemical cupboard. Should I keep them or discard as CLEAPSS advises to make fresh. Is there a way to clean ammonia glass bottles as they are all stained badly.
Thank you

clairelucas

COMMITTEE
Do you have a 6th form? I only ask, as we only do up to GCSE, so rarely use ammonia. In our case, I test that it is fit for purpose, as we use it to make precipitates, which will still work at a (now lower) molarity after time. If you need to know it's molarity more accurately, then yes, making a fresh batch before use would be a good idea.. I would hate for you to make a fresh batch that then stays unused for another year!

I'd be tempted to make fresh and date any replacements. I guess if it smells it's still OK (carefully though) Try diluted acid for cleaning , maybe citric but I'm not sure

Reactions: A.T

CovTech

Lvl 37 Alchemist
COMMITTEE
Chuck it
The Ammonia will evaporate out of solution so depending on age it's unlikely to be the strength is claims any longer
Hot soapy scrubbing should shift the stains off the glassware assuming the stains are from the ammonia and not the previous incumbent of the bottles

Hi,
I have started working as a lone Technician few months ago and had no previous training. I have found lots of, probably a year old bottles 1 M and 2 Molar ammonia solutions sitting in chemical cupboard. Should I keep them or discard as CLEAPSS advises to make fresh. Is there a way to clean ammonia glass bottles as they are all stained badly.
Thank you
Ammonia rarely goes out in our school and we have old stock as well. Thinking of keeping just a small amount.

I think the bottles are a write off. Same thing happens with sodium hydroxide the bottle gets very clouded. I think it eats into the glass