OCR PAG 7.1

Dear all.
We do not currently have micropipettes to transfer Bacillus subtilis onto nutrient agar plate. Any suggestions as to what we could use instead to transfer the bacterial culture onto the plate?

Many thanks

The PAG says 100 microliters. The PAG has been done before (Inherited the preproom) but without micropipettes. I just don't know how the previous tech did it?

It suggests in the notes that as most centres will struggle to provide micropipettes, students could be given sterile 1ml syringe to dispense 0.1ml, or if sterile syringes are not available then non sterile syringes attached to sterile glass pipettes. We have used the sterile syringe method, which is ok as long as the culture sample bottle is shallow enough for the syringe to reach.

It suggests in the notes that as most centres will struggle to provide micropipettes, students could be given sterile 1ml syringe to dispense 0.1ml, or if sterile syringes are not available then non sterile syringes attached to sterile glass pipettes. We have used the sterile syringe method, which is ok as long as the culture sample bottle is shallow enough for the syringe to reach.
Thank you very much for your help!

The PAG says 100 microliters. The PAG has been done before (Inherited the preproom) but without micropipettes. I just don't know how the previous tech did it?
I use sterile 1ml syringes for the 0.1ml for this type of thing. and then reuse them for measuring in other pracs after disinfecting and cleaning.

I tried the adaptors with pasteur pipettes but they are a bit fiddly, the students seem to cope with just the syringes.

Peter Sigsworth

COMMITTEE
Dear all.
We do not currently have micropipettes to transfer Bacillus subtilis onto nutrient agar plate. Any suggestions as to what we could use instead to transfer the bacterial culture onto the plate?

Many thanks
Dip sterile cotton bud in the bacterial broth and then streak it across the plate in several overlapping directions (sterilise the cotton bud by wrapping in foil, seal by twisting the ends and sterilise in autoclave)

Reactions: APM
I use sterile 1ml syringes for the 0.1ml for this type of thing. and then reuse them for measuring in other pracs after disinfecting and cleaning.

I tried the adaptors with pasteur pipettes but they are a bit fiddly, the students seem to cope with just the syringes.
We use sterile syringes here too.

I use new sterile 1ml plastic pipettes. Students tend to use to much culture and flood agar when we have used syringes so these work better.

Sterilised glass Pasteur pipettes if volume accuracy not critical (put cotton wool in teat end and load into beaker. Cover with foil and autoclave/pressure cooker), otherwise sterile 1 ml syringe. Put broth in McCartney or Universal so the syringe reaches.