No water

Schools seem oddly "special" with regards to H&S otherwise I wouldn't be allowed to carry trays of chemicals up/down flights of stairs. In industry you can't carry a hot drink on stairs! 39 more get ups.
It's to do with what you're using and why you're using it, which is why schools and colleges are generally advised by CLEAPSS (with HSE input via them) rather than through the industry standards. The UK legal system with regards to H&S is risk based rather than hazard based, meaning if it doesn't lead to accidents, you can do it, whereas industry and government generally are hazard averse in order to save money from potential litigation. If we could get a few spare techs to cartwheel down the stairs carrying a few toxic things and then sue, then there might be a tightening of rules and regulations, but I wouldn't advise it... I also know OfSTED do occasionally do H&S sweeps and shut down a few colleges here and there as a result.

In terms of water loss though, that's a little different, it is a direct breach of regs.

Schools seem oddly "special" with regards to H&S otherwise I wouldn't be allowed to carry trays of chemicals up/down flights of stairs. In industry you can't carry a hot drink on stairs! 39 more get ups.
I would refuse to carry trays of chemicals up/down flights of stairs without a lift, they need to bring the classes to chemistry or not do it..

Carol Taylor

Footsore
I would refuse to carry trays of chemicals up/down flights of stairs without a lift, they need to bring the classes to chemistry or not do it..
All 6 labs do all 3 subjects, often simultaneously. It has taken me 12 years to get teachers in non-labs to exchange rooms on occasion with a lab. It is always me who has to propose it; one guy seems to prefer that I carry 10 power supplies and the ticker timers to a room far, far, away than think about a room change.

Carol Taylor

Footsore
Have to move class to ground level labs
How do you accommodate a kid in the wheelchair?
We can't. There is no access by wheelchair except to the maths block where only 2 of the 4 classrooms have stairs to them, the music block. The main hall could be accessed by emptying an office to allow a wheelchair up the ramp but this only accesses the hall, 1 lab and toilets. We do have a disabled toilet though!!!

Carol Taylor

Footsore
is it on the ground floor?
We don't really have a ground floor, the school entrance is accessed along a long path, if not driving you go down a steep path then up again, then down a flight of steps, along again, down again then up the main flight of steps to the reception. We call that the main corridor, it has 3 classrooms before the next flight of stairs and so on. We have a basement floor but to get to it you have to do the steps up to start with then down again under the main corridor!!! Award winning building in 1965, no Historic England prevent changes.