No water

Carol Taylor

Footsore
So there is no handwashing facility in the staff or lower school toilets because the water has been turned off. Apparently we just have to use sanitising gel when we get to the classrooms!!!!This is bad enough without Covid but now...….

That sounds disgusting. With the best will in the world accidents and messy incidents happen, you can't have people walking about with faeces etc on their hands!

So there is no handwashing facility in the staff or lower school toilets because the water has been turned off. Apparently we just have to use sanitising gel when we get to the classrooms!!!!This is bad enough without Covid but now...….
if there is no water how do they flush then?

That sounds disgusting. With the best will in the world accidents and messy incidents happen, you can't have people walking about with faeces etc on their hands!
I was thinking the same!!

With the cheap toilet roll that schools use I'm sure its not an uncommon occurrence to have a 'finger slip' even for the most experienced wipers among us
:oops2:

Sharon Elsdon

COMMITTEE
And adding to that it is a hot day and you need to be able to access hydration as well.
I'm not sure their logic is correct.

have you seen the new " innovative" design of ladies loos for festivals? YUK

In my first school we had a waste disposal drain breaking, so the whole level smelled of crap. I should also mention it was on the same floor where the dining room was and the kitchen was. School kept open, kitchen staff had to wear masks because of the sewage smell and children eating in a dining room that smelled like **** literally hit the fan.
School remained open, nobody got called in and not a single parent complained.

Then again...it wasn't all bad since the food usually smells worse than sewage...

Carol Taylor

Footsore
Weirdly the toilets still flush. Some taps in other areas work (preproom). Cyclist teacher went in for a PE shower at 7 this morning, no water in school showers but there was water in the changing room sink. Apparently the school has an under corridor lake which was discovered over half term hols. That explains the weird growths on the canteen walls and the rotting concrete walls for the past few decades. Staff toilets are nowhere near the "lake". Never mind at least we have Historic England grade 2 listing.

Get the HSE in if they wont fix it.

• 3. Toilets and washing facilities​

Employers have to provide:
    • enough toilets and washbasins for those expected to use them – find out how many
    • where possible, separate facilities for men and women – failing that, rooms with lockable doors
    • clean facilities – preferably with walls and floors tiled (or covered in suitable waterproof material) to make them easier to clean
    • a supply of toilet paper and, for female employees, somewhere to dispose of sanitary dressings
    • facilities that are well lit and ventilated
    • hot and cold running water
    • enough soap or other washing agents
    • a basin large enough to wash hands and forearms if necessary
    • a way of drying hands, such as paper towels or a hot-air dryer
    • showers where necessary, for particularly dirty work
  • You must always consider the needs of those with disabilities.

How many toilets should a workplace have?​

The relevant legislation is the Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992. Regulation 20, Sanitary conveniences, states:

1. Suitable and sufficient sanitary conveniences shall be provided at readily accessible places.
  2. Without prejudice to the generality of paragraph (1), sanitary conveniences shall not be suitable unless -
    1. the rooms containing them are adequately ventilated and lit;
    2. they and the rooms containing them are kept in a clean and orderly condition; and
    3. separate rooms containing conveniences are provided for men and women except where and so far as each convenience is in a separate room the door of which is capable of being secured from inside.
The Approved code of practice goes on to give minimum numbers of facilities:

(The number of people at work shown in column 1 refers to the maximum number likely to be in the workplace at any one time)

Number of toilets and washbasins for mixed use (or women only):

Number of people at workNumber of toiletsNumber of washbasins
1-511
6-2522

CovTech

Lvl 37 Alchemist
COMMITTEE
Ask your union to look at the Welfare at work regulations from the HSE

Pretty sure by knowingly having no running water supply they're in breach of them

My children's school closed for no water once. Annoyingly, just as everyone had scrambled to collect their kids, we were told they'd got the water back on again (they also said it was fine not to bring the kids back in though!)

Carol Taylor

Footsore
We have now been told to use sanitizing wipes. There are plenty of irate teachers without me having to get in the mix. The toilets will be blocked by kids flushing thick wipes.

Schools seem oddly "special" with regards to H&S otherwise I wouldn't be allowed to carry trays of chemicals up/down flights of stairs. In industry you can't carry a hot drink on stairs! 39 more get ups.
We've always said this! One of our techs that came from Industry - well government- was shocked at the things schools get away with

CovTech

Lvl 37 Alchemist
COMMITTEE
Schools seem to exist in a void where it doesn't matter what you put in the risk assessment as long as you've done one and it'll all be fine until something actually goes wrong.....