good idea about the blackout. Our physics labs have a wind down screen that covers the windows to darken the room. the rest of the labs have normal black venetian blinds which are just rubbish - wish I had insisted on the wind down screens for all the labs.Issues we've found with a proposed new build:
Good luck! I'm having nightmares about our move already.
- The fume cupboards need to be on circuits that are not killed by the emergency shut-off buttons, so you don't end up with a room full of bromine or whatever if somebody hits it.
- If you have any radioactives, make sure there's suitable storage. We heard a lot of "it can just go in the prep room" and "what about this cupboard backing on to a classroom?". (And get proper CLEAPPS/SSERC advice before handing any radioactives over to a third party moving company!)
- We initially had standard sink taps listed, which you can't attach tubing to for distillation etc.
- Make sure the chemstore and preproom are adequately ventilated.
- Can you black the labs out? Physics at least, but we do plenty of S1-S3 stuff that needs blackout too.
- As above, at least one ducted fume cupboard is usually required.