My job was advertised yesterday

Carol Taylor

Footsore
The job was advertised for the first time yesterday, I saw it when someone shared it on facebook. I think after the title page the only time "science" was mentioned was when they stated that science equipment needed to be maintained and cleaned in order that it should be clean and work. The rest was general edu-speak. Technical area was used throughout. No mention of chemistry, biology or physics. Librarianship/information science certification was desirable. MIDAS (mini-bus) trained driver essential. The technician must demonstrate how to use equipment to other technicians so I've just been us to ask the IT guy to come and watch me make chlorine gas and pour microbiology plates.....the part-time food tech came up and offered to communicate via dance (must be able to communicate via a range of media. I think the response may be as enthusiastic as for the D&T post. 1 applicant who then withdrew on the first advert and none on the second advert. At least the D&T job mentioned CAD/CAM and hand tools. When I told my HOD that it seemed to be a poor job and person description his response was that he had taken out the desirability for previous experience as a PE tech :( :magician: :mad::eek::experiment::newton::virus:

And they wonder why science is a failing subject. I feel sorry for the teachers who really want to enthuse the students but will not be able to do the experiments cos the 'tech' won't have a clue.

And they wonder why science is a failing subject. I feel sorry for the teachers who really want to enthuse the students but will not be able to do the experiments cos the 'tech' won't have a clue.
Agree with you labmom.
it beggars belief that they want a generic tech to do the specific and very skilful things that a science tech does...
@Carol Taylor you are probably feeling huge relief to be retiring...good luck with it all :)

Carol Taylor

Footsore
It sounds like a school where people have given up.
Weirdly it's one of the top performing schools in England. I think I have been here so long that whoever does the hiring doesn't know or value my role. The HT who appointed me was ex head of science so had a better idea of what not having one would mean,

The job was advertised for the first time yesterday, I saw it when someone shared it on facebook. I think after the title page the only time "science" was mentioned was when they stated that science equipment needed to be maintained and cleaned in order that it should be clean and work. The rest was general edu-speak. Technical area was used throughout. No mention of chemistry, biology or physics. Librarianship/information science certification was desirable. MIDAS (mini-bus) trained driver essential. The technician must demonstrate how to use equipment to other technicians so I've just been us to ask the IT guy to come and watch me make chlorine gas and pour microbiology plates.....the part-time food tech came up and offered to communicate via dance (must be able to communicate via a range of media. I think the response may be as enthusiastic as for the D&T post. 1 applicant who then withdrew on the first advert and none on the second advert. At least the D&T job mentioned CAD/CAM and hand tools. When I told my HOD that it seemed to be a poor job and person description his response was that he had taken out the desirability for previous experience as a PE tech :( :magician: :mad::eek::experiment::newton::virus:
It sounds like they have no idea of what you actually did as a science technician. We had a similar problem here, where they put out the wrong job description.

STEMTech

Dave
We don't have science technicians in our school. We are all STEM technicians and science is only ~50% of the job.
It won't suit everyone but I enjoy the variety. We cover the sciences, engineering, food tech, textiles and maths. It includes electronics and CAD/CAM.
I love it.

We don't have science technicians in our school. We are all STEM technicians and science is only ~50% of the job.
It won't suit everyone but I enjoy the variety. We cover the sciences, engineering, food tech, textiles and maths. It includes electronics and CAD/CAM.
I love it.
Out of interest, what does a technician help with in maths? I can make a guess for the rest, but I'm now curious!

I love it.
Out of curiosity how do you divide the workload?

STEMTech

Dave
Out of curiosity how do you divide the workload?
There are 3 of us, shortly to become 2, and we do 3 days a week in science and 2 days a week in D&T each, on a fairly loose rota. It's not set in stone and if there is demand we can move between departments as required.

That does sound fun! Although, you could keep the cookery side...I don't even like cooking for myself!
There are 3 of us, shortly to become 2, and we do 3 days a week in science and 2 days a week in D&T each, on a fairly loose rota. It's not set in stone and if there is demand we can move between departments as required

STEMTech

Dave
That does sound fun! Although, you could keep the cookery side...I don't even like cooking for myself!
We used to teach hair & beauty in our own salon. Technicians looked after the various instruments of torture in there too. Gone now though.

Carol Taylor

Footsore
I love it.
That's great but I'm the sole tech, they got rid of my assistant a few years ago. The D&T have someone a few hours a week in Food, she preps and cleans up between morning and afternoon classes. The full time tech left 18 months ago and so far recruitment has failed. No applicants for my job yet either.