Moving science labs and chemistry prep Room.

I was wondering has anyone on this forum been involved in moving from an old building to a new and how was the move handled by your school.
What turned out to be the major issues.

Yes - this is a big one. We moved out and had everything in storage for 6 months whilst the labs were refurbished. The big one is storage space for all your equipment and ample work areas/prep rooms followed by fit for purpose science classrooms (gas taps next to a sink comes to mind). I mean the design and layout of the rooms have to meet certain standards. CLEAPSS have good guidelines on lab design
Above all get yourself listened to and consulted on the design of the new build and science areas.

My question was on how the physical move is to be done. It now looks like I will have to box every thing up in the labs and prep myself, then they will be moved across to the new building by the house staff, all to be done in 2 weeks over Easter. I am arguing that they should get professional movers to do it.

Right - if you can get professional movers all the better. But get prepared to do some of the work yourself as it always happens, in my case I had to box up everything creating a catalogue/inventory, label every box, even the chemicals had to move out we hired a mobile chemical storage unit, I had to direct the movers where and how I wanted the temporary storage (it was a shipping container outside the science block!) to be arranged. I created a layout design plan so the movers could follow that and store every crate as I wanted it for easy access. It was not easy and was a lot of work but it paid off as I knew where everything was and we did not lose anything or damaged any equipment. I was very glad when we moved back in to the labs again!!!

It was many moons ago when we moved from on old building. Everything was boxed up and in storage - on site. We had 2 makeshift labs on one site and one fully equipped lab that had already been built in the first phase of the new building. Unfortunately this was on a different site. I too argued for professional movers but that was never going to happen due to cost. My concern in your case would be the 2 week time scale over Easter. Luckily ours was finished during the summer holidays and we were paid to come in and unpack/organise the new labs but it took a long time! I suppose it depends how many labs/preps you have to move. Good luck!

I was wondering has anyone on this forum been involved in moving from an old building to a new and how was the move handled by your school.
What turned out to be the major issues.

Yes we had pickfords do the moving, they gave large crates which we labeled with where they were to go to, we also labelled all the prep room trays and draws and these were delivered as is to the new locations, then we transferred the stuff to the new draws etc.

We also scavenged the old furniture cupboard bases, wall cupboards for reuse in store rooms, workshop etc they did not furnish or put shelves in.

actual move took a few days, sorting beforehand a bit longer.

Thank you for the replies, the school are planning on moving straight from the old building into the new one over the Easter holidays, no putting chemicals and equipment into storage. There are 3 sciences here with separate prep rooms each science has three classroom/labs and they also have a lot of equipment in their cupboards. there are 3 technicians, and one will be new as the current biology tech is leaving at Christmas. The plan is that they are moving the 3 prep rooms into one large combined prep room, we have seen the 2d plans but have not yet been over to the rooms of course in the flesh. sounds like it will be fun.

Yes i have where does one start! Corillion who built the school and organized the move and i use those two terms in the lowest possible term were s**t! No wonder they went bust! THat means we have no gurantees!lol
All stuff was packed into boxes no more them 25kg, the boxes weights 4kg! Moaned at by the moving company could we used over 200 bosex and 10 industrial rolls of bubble wrap.
Moaned at cause we needed to move our chemical store in three small van trips and our radiation specimens before we shut for summer.
Mind you after 7 years our prep room its warm. light and airy (due to gaps by window frames) and the way we want it. Ok we have a few odd water features now and again and three different shades of one paint on the walls but its home.
All i can say is good luck

Yes i have where does one start! Corillion who built the school and organized the move and i use those two terms in the lowest possible term were s**t! No wonder they went bust! THat means we have no gurantees!lol
our builder walked off without finishing the snagging or getting the last 1/3rd of the money, big company small job.

About 4 or 5 years ago I had to bubble wrap and box all equipment from 7 labs, preproom, lecture theatre that was a dumping ground and 5 storerooms. I was new to the role and the sole tech, so my 1st 5 weeks were spent doing this whilst also prepping the practicals!
We had professional movers move all the boxes to the new building where they were labelled and a separate chemical mover, who packed and moved all chemicals to new preproom. We also got rid of alot of old and possibly dangerous chemicals through this company too.
The movers did move everything to the right place, however, they piled all the boxes floor to ceiling in the preproom leaving the furniture in the corridor, so we had to move all of the boxes out to get the furniture in before we could unpack.
I spent 3 days in the chem store, with HOD, sorting the chemicals out, then a further 6 days (unpaid) to unpack the rest of the department. We were given 2 days at the beginning of the Autumn term as "unpacking days" which really wouldn't have cut it if we didn't do the other days during the summer hols.

I left that place during lockdown (didn't even get a card!) to take up a new job at the brand new school on my estate, so no commuting!
It has taken me 7 weeks to unpack all of the new equipment and tick off the massive order, I am still finding homes for some equipment and gradually working my way through the labelling. On the plus side it is gratnell heaven with about 500 trays! Unfortunately, theyre all filthy, so am having to wash them before I can put away properly!

Good luck with your move!

I wasn't consulted at any stage as to what a prep room and labs would actually need :mad: We ended up with 2 really good sized prep rooms but on 2 different floors with 4 labs on each floor too. When it was finished the Head came along and said " do you think we should have had science all on one floor with one big preproom?" Errrrr ............yes. Too late now! :laughing: It's not the worst set up but there are things I would definitely have liked to include which were missed.

I did this a number of years back, the wonderful BSF scheme. They school was moved over the summer, holidays not Easter. I started nagging for boxes after Christmas, realising it was going to take months to pack everything. A moving company was used and they provided packing crates, labels and security tags to track boxes. I also made a list of what was in each crate, not that I didn't trust them :rolleyes:.

I had to provide them with a list of the chemicals that were being moved and their hazards (gave them a stack of Hazcards and they were happy with that!). We also asked about chemicals we didn't want and were told to leave anything not required and it would be sort out. Someone came and collected the radioactive sources, to put in a 'secure storage location'. They were supposed to be kept until I was ready and organised for them to be returned. They turned up on the first day we were in because someone had tried to break into the site cabin they were being 'securely stored' in.
We had 3 days to unpack before the students returned. It was not enough, but we made a good start. It was so overwhelming on that first morning being in a room full of empty storage, surrounded by packing crates and not knowing where to start.

Packing up an old department is A LOT of work. But it is an amazing chance to sort through all of the equipment in a department and work out exactly what you have and what can be thrown away. Setting up a new prep room exactly how you want it and knowing where everything is and what you have is brilliant.

Good luck with your move and I hope you enjoy your new prep room :D

This is an interesting thread for us. We're supposed to be moving to a new build school in summer 2022. We've just found out that the building plans were finalised before half term, but nobody within science was offered the chance to have any input or consultation.
The main building will be three floors, but at this stage we do not know how science will fit within that. We're quite worried that we're going to be split across multiple floors and not have enough storage.

My question was on how the physical move is to be done. It now looks like I will have to box every thing up in the labs and prep myself, then they will be moved across to the new building by the house staff, all to be done in 2 weeks over Easter. I am arguing that they should get professional movers to do it.
Speaking from experience, i agree! Ended up with frozen shoulder from all the lifting & moving a few years ago, still have problems from it. Union didn't want to know, said I couldn't prove it was that!
Wouldn't do it again that's for sure.

This is an interesting thread for us. We're supposed to be moving to a new build school in summer 2022. We've just found out that the building plans were finalised before half term, but nobody within science was offered the chance to have any input or consultation.
The main building will be three floors, but at this stage we do not know how science will fit within that. We're quite worried that we're going to be split across multiple floors and not have enough storage.
If you do get anyone to talk to you about your new building make sure to ask about things you would think were obvious for a prep room. I had no gas taps in mine when it was built :(. When I quizzed the builders when we moved in they couldn't understand why I would need them and it wasn't possible to put them in because the floor would need to be dug up.:rolleyes:
Most builders and architects are used to building commercial or office space and do not understand education and schools!

If you do get anyone to talk to you about your new building make sure to ask about things you would think were obvious for a prep room. I had no gas taps in mine when it was built :(. When I quizzed the builders when we moved in they couldn't understand why I would need them and it wasn't possible to put them in because the floor would need to be dug up.:rolleyes:
Most builders and architects are used to building commercial or office space and do not understand education and schools!

Funnily enough that conversation has just cropped up. The provisional plans are that there will not be any mains gas or taps in the school and each lab will have 6 portable bunsens or heatmats. They've also forgotten about any gas provision for the prep room.

They nearly did that with our new build, but got gas laid on in all labs and prep room. i am still worried about the water supply. They did not seem to know any thing about Thames waters by-laws on water supply to laboratories, the non return problem.
Just 6 portable bunsens per lab does not seem many for chemistry.

Sharon Elsdon

COMMITTEE
I've experienced this a few times for various reasons.
The first time we moved our A Level Science provision to another part of the building, didn't seem a big job to higher up people so we did it and protected everything, 4 of us moving what we needed, it was hard work and too much for us.
Never do it! It hurt us all!

Second time we moved our A Level to another site, we packed everything carefully and our MAT site services came with their van and moved it all under supervision and instruction from us.
The chemicals were moved by a professional company dealing only with them, this also happened to coincide with our chemical store needing hot works above so we used the other sites chem store as storage then moved it all back with the same company and they did any disposal for us too.

Then our mobile leaked and needed reroofing this year which housed all our A Level physics equipment. We hired a container and moved it ourselves over a few days gently and carefully and slowly as not to hurt ourselves and back again when it was fixed.

We have been lucky nothing has broken in any move.

I would definitely recommend speaking to site services and instructing what is most delicate and what not to stack etc. and helping in a capacity you can without the manual handling.

I hope that helps a bit