Mouldy clinostat

I am now having a third go at the clinostat, and still failing - BIG TIME.
It goes mouldy, and rots/dies before it would grow big enough roots.

I soak broad beans in water to hydrate them, then attach them with a wet piece of cotton wool to the cork plate of the clinostat, using a large T-pin.
If I put the lid on, it gets mouldy and dies.
If I leave the lid off, it dries out and dies.

I tried to gently wash them down with alcohol, which has prevented the initial mould build-up, but it has returned later.

Come Friday, I have to leave it for the weekend, and I find it dead on Monday morning.

What do you guys do to keep it alive long enough to read results?

Thank you.
 

Peter Sigsworth

COMMITTEE
I am now having a third go at the clinostat, and still failing - BIG TIME.
It goes mouldy, and rots/dies before it would grow big enough roots.

I soak broad beans in water to hydrate them, then attach them with a wet piece of cotton wool to the cork plate of the clinostat, using a large T-pin.
If I put the lid on, it gets mouldy and dies.
If I leave the lid off, it dries out and dies.

I tried to gently wash them down with alcohol, which has prevented the initial mould build-up, but it has returned later.

Come Friday, I have to leave it for the weekend, and I find it dead on Monday morning.

What do you guys do to keep it alive long enough to read results?

Thank you.
I don't have the same problem - try washing the plastic cover and cork disc with mild bleach to sterilise them and then rinse with distilled water before you put the beans and cotton wool on.
If you fix damp cotton wool on the disc and sprinkle cress or mustard seeds over (they will stick to the cotton wool). You should get a good result in 4 or 5 days:

Top image not rotating (static)
1620637599235.png
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: Kay
I always use cress or mustard on damp cotton wool in a small galipot. Attach this to the Clinostat with the help of a couple of large elastic bands. The cover will still fit over. After a week or so the seedlings are growing in all directions which is far more interesting than one sad broad bean. If you also set up two more galipots of seedlings so that one is just on the bench and the other is wedged in a 250ml beaker at 90 deg i.e. vertical, you can compare the growth patterns in the three samples. Makes it much easier for students to see the effect of the Clinostat. Hope that helps.
 
we use peas about 5/6 , that have been soaked first, so its easier to push pin through. we put several layers of filter paper on the clinostat and soak that with water too. once the peas are on we mist them with water everyday to ensure they don't dry out. Never had mould.
 
I don't have the same problem - try washing the plastic cover and cork disc with mild bleach to sterilise them and then rinse with distilled water before you put the beans and cotton wool on.
If you fix damp cotton wool on the disc and sprinkle cress or mustard seeds over (they will stick to the cotton wool). You should get a good result in 4 or 5 days:

Top image not rotating (static)
View attachment 6192
I had this and pretty much did the same. Made sure it was as clean as possible before I started.
I had more success with it. Just about managed to get enough out of it before it got too bad. Not nearly as impressive as Peter's version but thats about the story of my life - looking up to Peter for all things biology!
 
Last edited:
Top