Mitosis in garlic root tips

CovTech

Lvl 37 Alchemist
COMMITTEE
Edexcel SNAB ? Our teachers told me recently that a question came up in an exam (not sure if it was a real paper or specimen) where they had to know about acetic orcein and they couldn't get all the marks if they hadn't seen it - or something along those lines. So they might not just be being awkward !
Yup pretty much

While Edexcel allow you to change the prac so that you get one that works they MUST still learn the one that Edexcel set in their worksheets as this is the version they will set exam questions from so if you change the prac they have to learn to differentiate between the one they did and the one in the textbook

Yup pretty much

While Edexcel allow you to change the prac so that you get one that works they MUST still learn the one that Edexcel set in their worksheets as this is the version they will set exam questions from so if you change the prac they have to learn to differentiate between the one they did and the one in the textbook
Same with AQA they are expected to know every version of the practicals were there are options.

Edexcel SNAB ? Our teachers told me recently that a question came up in an exam (not sure if it was a real paper or specimen) where they had to know about acetic orcein and they couldn't get all the marks if they hadn't seen it - or something along those lines. So they might not just be being awkward !
Aha, but are they just saying that?! ;) :laughing:

Yup pretty much

Our problems are that some of the Edexcel practicals take hours, which, when you have an hours lesson ( cut down to 30-40 mins after chat) there is no time to do them anyway.
We often have to do half the experiment for them:rolleyes:
One of them they just look at as the equipment is too expensive for us to buy class set & it needs to be set up to monitor over 24 hours.

Yup pretty much

Ah well, we do all of them as per worksheet anyway.

CovTech

Lvl 37 Alchemist
COMMITTEE
Our problems are that some of the Edexcel practicals take hours, which, when you have an hours lesson ( cut down to 30-40 mins after chat) there is no time to do them anyway.
We often have to do half the experiment for them:rolleyes:
One of them they just look at as the equipment is too expensive for us to buy class set & it needs to be set up to monitor over 24 hours.
Oh I know, like the Biology one with yeast and the colourimeter which is supposed to run and have the students taking samples overnight?
Or the pollen tube growing one with the 1h 15min growth time after they've set everything up?

It's like they were written with a 4 hours uni lab block in mind (or nothing in mind at all) :serious:

Oh I know, like the Biology one with yeast and the colourimeter which is supposed to run and have the students taking samples overnight?
Or the pollen tube growing one with the 1h 15min growth time after they've set everything up?

It's like they were written with a 4 hours uni lab block in mind (or nothing in mind at all) :serious:
Yup, that's the ones.
There's the bacteria one that runs over 3 lessons too. Teacher has to time it so it doesn't coincide with a holiday.

Aha, but are they just saying that?! ;) :laughing:

Partially true, I had a look through examwizard for past questions the only question about the stain is.

Name a stain that can be used to show the stages of mitosis (1 mark)

the mark scheme mentions to accept toluidine blue, feulgen, acetocarmine as well as acetic orcein.

Last edited:
so I've been trying to grow garlic roots for over a week and nothing has happened, also tried with the spider plant and also nothing. I suggested to the teacher to do this practical after Easter now, so i can try again to get some roots growing at home. But he's insisting on doing it tomorrow. Not really sure what else I can do :(

so I've been trying to grow garlic roots for over a week and nothing has happened, also tried with the spider plant and also nothing. I suggested to the teacher to do this practical after Easter now, so i can try again to get some roots growing at home. But he's insisting on doing it tomorrow. Not really sure what else I can do :(
Did you scrape the rooting edge of the each clove? I find that that seems to "wake" the garlic up.

You could try the grocery store for spring onions with nice and plump looking roots, they might do the job.
I vaguely remember using them in the past.

Rather than scraping the rooting edge, I usually use a scalpel to remove the hardened rooting edge. Not had a problem getting it to grow roots, but this may be just luck if my usual gardening skills are anything to go on.

where did you get them from? they might be treated or irradiated.

If he's insisting buy some beanshoots to try.

Yep did that! I think I'm just cursed when it comes to plants
Did you grow them at 20 degrees? Only saying that because i grow them in my incubator at cold times of the year. I also sometimes buy a bulb a long time ahead and wait for it to start sending up the green shoot while in the fridge. I find that then it is ready to root.
other than that i buy loads of bulbs and set them all going in the vain hope i will get enough roots. Such a pain though!

You could try the grocery store for spring onions with nice and plump looking roots, they might do the job.
I vaguely remember using them in the past.
Will try that, thanks :) should I keep them in water overnight to try and encourage a bit of growth?