Mitosis in garlic root tips

becksc123

Becky
Morning,

I have not done the experiment using garlic roots to see mitosis. I have the garlic cloves suspended in water for the roots to grow. The instructions I have been given is to use Acetic Alcohol. What is this?

Also, to use Lacto-propionic orcein stain, another method has Toulidine Blue. Unfortunately I don't have either of these. Have you guys found anything else that works?

Any help/advice would be great.

Thank You

Acetic orcein is another name for lacto-propionic orcein I think (my bottle of stain says orcein acetic orcein on it). Have you looked at the CLEAPSS guide TL015 - might be helpful, but I can't see anywhere an alternative to Toluidine or orcein for staining roots.

0.1% - 1% methylene blue should work as well.

Here's a decent method:
https://www.flinnsci.com/api/library/Download/3754a40032394b48b29a282c2a42c0e8

Although I would probably stick the roots+1M HCl in a 60C water bath for 3-4min, rather than leave them at room temp.
We did that last year, then stuck them in the stain as well. (they like to squash the wrong end)

see (think the only differences are the stain used)

My HOD tried toluidine the first time this year and it worked better than orcein and much less of a mess too lol
I will ask our Biology teachers to try it this year. Not hopeful. I hate sentences that have, " that's not on the worksheet" in them. :rolleyes:

I will ask our Biology teachers to try it this year. Not hopeful. I hate sentences that have, " that's not on the worksheet" in them. :rolleyes:
unless its being uttered by the Tech ;)

Teach - 'Can I replace this safe and certified chemical with this thing I just found on youtube that looks fun and dangerous?'

Tech - 'Thats not on the worksheet' :p

Dear All,

It must be a Mitosis time of year!
I have just made up some Acetic Alcohol, only to have the class cancelled!
Will it keep until January?
My garlic roots were growing lovely as well!

No, Edexcel. The man from del Monte, oops sorry, Edexcel, said it's fine to change practicals or do demos, but ooooh no, we can't do that! :rolleyes:
Hmm, Just changed to that board I will edit the worksheet.

Dear All,

It must be a Mitosis time of year!
I have just made up some Acetic Alcohol, only to have the class cancelled!
Will it keep until January?
My garlic roots were growing lovely as well!
yes cut some roots and store them in it.

No, Edexcel. The man from del Monte, oops sorry, Edexcel, said it's fine to change practicals or do demos, but ooooh no, we can't do that! :rolleyes:
Edexcel SNAB ? Our teachers told me recently that a question came up in an exam (not sure if it was a real paper or specimen) where they had to know about acetic orcein and they couldn't get all the marks if they hadn't seen it - or something along those lines. So they might not just be being awkward !

what strength is the toluidine blue as i have never used this before only the orcein stain
• Toluidine blue (0. 05%) at pH 4; made in McIlvaine buffer; keep in fridge

Buffer formulae

Citric acid 0.1 M 21 gdm-3; 61.45 cm3
Na2HPO4 0.2 M 35 gdm-3; 38.55 cm3

Alternatively use pH buffer tablets to make up buffer.